Tailgate not flushed on the driver’s side - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Tailgate not flushed on the driver’s side

Hello, I just noticed on my 2019 MDX that the tailgate on the driver’s side is not completely flushed, whereas it’s perfectly aligned on the passenger side. In other words, there’s a bigger gap on the driver’s side than the passenger side. It’s as if the tailgate isn’t closed completely but when I pushed down on it it’s already fully closed. I noticed some other MDXs don’t have this issue while others have a similar gap to mine.

Is this just part of the manufacturing process where some just have a better fit than others?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FC54508-09F4-4B4B-B357-E1C6ADF81CBA_1556430345884.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	109636   Click image for larger version

Name:	75625AFA-5A80-49F1-A7E5-28DB32F12F7C_1556430660894.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	109638  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago

Take it back to the dealer. They certainally can align it correctly. Gaps should always be even and smooth. Honda/Acura does have a TSB covering misalignment of the gas door. It was an easy fix, so there is no reason not to.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevit0725 View Post
Hello, I just noticed on my 2019 MDX that the tailgate on the driver’s side is not completely flushed, whereas it’s perfectly aligned on the passenger side. In other words, there’s a bigger gap on the driver’s side than the passenger side. It’s as if the tailgate isn’t closed completely but when I pushed down on it it’s already fully closed. I noticed some other MDXs don’t have this issue while others have a similar gap to mine.

Is this just part of the manufacturing process where some just have a better fit than others?
The 3rd generation mdx has always had panel alignment issues. Just take it in and they will fix it. Apparently Acura doesn’t believe in a final inspection at the assembly line.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD Gone.
2017 MDX, ADV SP HYBRID. MODERN STEEL.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea if this is an easy fix for the dealer?

My concern with asking the dealer to try and fix it is that they may inadvertently create a new problem (e.g. dent the frame, scratch the paint, or something else).

What I'm trying to figure out is, is this kind of misalignment common? If no one else has this and I'm the only one, then yes I'd like to get it fixed. But if it's fairly common, then I'd just accept it and move on.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Any idea if this is an easy fix for the dealer?

My concern with asking the dealer to try and fix it is that they may inadvertently create a new problem (e.g. dent the frame, scratch the paint, or something else).

What I'm trying to figure out is, is this kind of misalignment common? If no one else has this and I'm the only one, then yes I'd like to get it fixed. But if it's fairly common, then I'd just accept it and move on.
As I said body alignment issues are common. That doesnít mean you donít want to have it fixed. If it needs to be sent to the body shop,Iíd have second thoughts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

I have been meaning to get back to this thread, There are several screw in rubber bumpers /stops on the rear, each on a lower corner. This allows where the door rests. Yours might be screwed out too far holding the door with a little warp. The cause could be as simple as someone turned one a little one time in its life - gee what's this?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

So I was back at the dealer to have a recall taken care of, but didn’t mention the tailgate. The courtesy drop-off car I rode in was a new MDX with a similar misalignment, so eventually I just got over it.

Then today I noticed the passenger side rear door was sticking out just that’s out of alignment too.

So the fuel door is sticking out, tailgate is not flushed, and passenger rear door misaligned. And 2 recalls in 6 months.

Normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A7372DE-D47A-4F9C-8D4A-DCE7F681A42C_1557127003568.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	109656  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

My 19 advance doesn't have any of these issues. everything appears to be aligned well with 2 exceptions: Passenger side air dam on front, isn't flush with the fender and on the back passenger side the lower panel similarly isn't flush with the upper panel. Driver side is fine however. Next time I have it in i'll ask them to make those 2 flush. besides that though i haven't noticed any doors or other panels out of alignment
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

So Acura emailed me a satisfaction survey relating to a recent service, and I commented that while I was happy with the service adviser, I was disappointed with the build quality of the car with the gaps and misalignment mentioned in this thread.

A few days later, the service adviser called me and said he also has a 2019 MDX with similar fit issues. I was welcome to bring it back to the dealer where they will try and fix it, though may have to send it to a body shop depending on how far they can take it.

One part of me wants to get it fixed because the imperfection bugs me, but another part of me is really reluctant for them to fiddle with a relatively new car, or take it apart, just because of a minor misalignment with the panels. I've had experience in the past where I've asked the dealer to fix something, and they either screwed it up, or fixed it but caused another problem unintentionally.

I think I'm going to leave it as-is for now, and try to distract myself with other things that are actually important ..
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10 Hours Ago

Quote:
So Acura emailed me a satisfaction survey relating to a recent service, and I commented that while I was happy with the service adviser, I was disappointed with the build quality of the car with the gaps and misalignment mentioned in this thread.

A few days later, the service adviser called me and said he also has a 2019 MDX with similar fit issues. I was welcome to bring it back to the dealer where they will try and fix it, though may have to send it to a body shop depending on how far they can take it.

One part of me wants to get it fixed because the imperfection bugs me, but another part of me is really reluctant for them to fiddle with a relatively new car, or take it apart, just because of a minor misalignment with the panels. I've had experience in the past where I've asked the dealer to fix something, and they either screwed it up, or fixed it but caused another problem unintentionally.

I think I'm going to leave it as-is for now, and try to distract myself with other things that are actually important ..

good for you. Sometimes the fix is worse than the problem
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 32 Minutes Ago

Quote:

My 14 had a rear door out of alignment. I asked about getting it fixed. When the SA said it would have to go to the body shop,I decided to skip it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement