• 1 Post By Bluepill
  • 1 Post By jzhu625
  • 1 Post By mdxstang
  • 1 Post By EbonyGraph

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

2014 MDX Vibration during Braking

Hello,

I just got done with a service on my 2014 Acura MDX with 50k miles and started noticing vibrations when braking at highway speeds. this was not there before the service.

The dealer is telling me the rotors are probably warped but it doesn't make sense that this started right after the service. they want me to pay for smoothing out the rotor or basically replace it. They rotated the tires and I am wondering if this has something to do with lug nut tightening causing this.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Vibration upon braking is always a warped brake rotor. New quality rotors are only around 50-75 dollars each. Depending on how you drive you can get really good drilled rotors in the 75 dollar range. New disc set would be another 30 to 50 dollars an axle. If you know a bit about cars swapping parts is pretty easy.
TheViper likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking of doing it myself but I was curious how this suddenly became an issue after the service. this was not the case before and I am wondering if its something the Service team did wrong.

I will look into replacing both.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sounds like they overtorqued the lug nuts. Have a shop with a torque wrench check it for you. Takes a few minutes. Factory spec. is 80 Foot Pounds.
TheViper likes this.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Hello,

I just got done with a service on my 2014 Acura MDX with 50k miles and started noticing vibrations when braking at highway speeds. this was not there before the service.

The dealer is telling me the rotors are probably warped but it doesn't make sense that this started right after the service. they want me to pay for smoothing out the rotor or basically replace it. They rotated the tires and I am wondering if this has something to do with lug nut tightening causing this.

Any thoughts on what I can do?
most likely after they drove the car then spray water on wheels or went thru car wash.
TheViper likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'd focus on the point that the problem only appeared after their service. If all they did in this area was rotate the tires then I'd take each wheel off, inspect the seating surface (which is probably okay) and then put the wheel back on and torque the lug nuts to spec in a star pattern. Over-torquing the nuts or sometimes not torquing them evenly and in a star pattern could cause the symptom you're experiencing.

If that doesn't work you could always 'un-rotate' the tires if you know the pattern in which they were rotated, and see if the problem goes away in case you have a weird wheel/tire balance issue causing the symptom you're seeing, which is possible.

I doubt that anything like a car wash after driving would cause the issue. Water on hot rotors is something that routinely happens to vehicles all the time every time it rains and it doesn't cause the rotor to warp. It's much more likely that the nut torquing wasn't done properly.
TheViper likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Couple of things you can look at... Are you feeling the vibration on the steering wheel or the seats vibrate too. If steering wheel then it's from front wheels, if seats/rear of the car vibrates then it is mostly the rear wheels. In your case it could just be incorrect seating/torque of one or more wheels

My MDX had vibration while braking at City/highway speeds, it's perfect now after I got all rotors and pads replaced.
TheViper likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for responding. I will bring it up with them and have them reseat the wheels. i think this should fix the issue.
If not then will look into replacing the rotors.

The vibration is mostly in the front of the car so i am guessing its the front tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement