post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

2020 mdx pmc

Just 360 of them

2014 MDX Tech FWD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

This is absolutely insane!

I wish I had an opportunity to buy one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Wow! Gorgeous. Love that colour.

Hate to think of the price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
Not sure why Acura made the Aspec a separate trim level between the tech and Advance before the PMC? Aspec+Advance+Sport Hybrid would of been my 1st choice because of the addition of the active suspension and Sport+. Looks like the sport-hybrid sh-awd MDX is the performance sleeper model with more hp/tq and super-duper sh-awd.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
Not sure why Acura made the Aspec a separate trim level between the tech and Advance before the PMC? Aspec+Advance+Sport Hybrid would of been my 1st choice because of the addition of the active suspension and Sport+. Looks like the sport-hybrid sh-awd MDX is the performance sleeper model with more hp/tq and super-duper sh-awd.
I think it's to keep complexity in their manufacturing line to a minimum. They don't really make each car to order option wise, they just have set time for each trim. Since tech by far is their most popular trim they likely decided to make Aspec only in that trim to keep costs and complexity down on the line. Since they don't sell anywhere near as many advance or hybrid models (hybrids are especially rare) the added cost to tool the line for Aspec on those trims likely wasn't worth the little return, especially when this is the first Aspec year and I'm sure they want to get a sense of how well it would sell first. Eventually they could expand to all trims if it sells enough and they can make enough extra to make it worth their while I'm sure

I would have loved if they made Aspec as just an exterior body kit when I got my 19 Advance with Entertainment, where interior would be the regular advance interior with Aspec only on the outside

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
Aspec used to be suspension upgrade and body kit with the old 04-08 TSX/TL/RL you could add at anytime. I did the Aspec upgrade on my 06 TSX (everything except the Aspec badge and added Progress RSB). From what I can tell, the Aspec front/rear bumpers might be a one-for-one fit with the MDX Adv models? The only difference would be the darken headlights that come with the Aspec.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Why would anyone be excited to pay a premium price for a gimmicky trim/paint/wheel package? I mean the paint is stunning, but OK..."hand built"? Every time I see an assembly line it has humans using their hands to build a car (and robots) so maybe this "no robot built"?

Acura is trying so hard to fake their way as a performance brand but in the process they are undermining any performance credibility. Blacked out trim and wheels and red interior stitching on an otherwise pedestrian drive train is like what Pontiac was to GM. I have no real problem with A Spec packages, but what is the point of promoting PMC when it's still just a trim package mash-up? Where is the 450hp turbo V6 or 500hp hybrid layout? Brembo brakes? Performance suspension? P is for poser! Lame lame, so lame.
mrgold35 likes this.

2017 MDX Advance SH-AWD, Modern Steel with Ebony
2016 Chevy SS, 6 speed manual
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by carli123 View Post
Why would anyone be excited to pay a premium price for a gimmicky trim/paint/wheel package?
Because it's awesome. Also, these limited edition models are most likely to become collectables (which is what Acura aims at, anyway), and shoot up in value.

Having a unique trim combination along with an NSX paint job? Sold!

If I had the means, I would buy a limited MDX edition in a blink of an eye. I'm sure the majority if not all of these models are already bought out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carli123 View Post
Acura is trying so hard to fake their way as a performance brand
Pfft, no, they are not. Performance brand would be having upgraded force induction engine options, BB options, etc. None of which is what Acura is doing. What they are trying to do in this case is clearly two birds with one stone: maximizing the use of an underutilized NSX building facility and banking on limited edition production (which clearly is already creating a distinct hype).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Also, these limited edition models are most likely to become collectables (which is what Acura aims at, anyway), and shoot up in value.
Time will tell but I highly doubt that. I think the value will drop along the lines of any other MDX, maybe even faster if their cost premium is too high. At the end of the day it's really just a standard MDX with nicer paint but IMO ugly wheels (I don't like the black wheel look - just a personal preference). The vehicle just isn't special enough or truly rare enough to be a 'collectible'. By rare I don't mean the '360 units', I mean the numbers for the entire vehicle model. The NSX is manufactured in low quantities so it has an inherent rarity to it on top of being a truly niche vehicle that will hold its appeal long term and be a real collectible but this MDX is just an MDX with different paint, some red thread, and a little placard glued to the console.

I like that red paint on it though and it's much nicer than if they'd have gone with the standard black/white/grey paint. I think they should offer this tint on the normal MDX. It'd be even better if they could apply some of the processes they learned in the paint process at this PNC plant and productionize it to benefit all Acuras.

They neglected to state what the premium is to buy one of these. It'd be interesting to know what it is.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

It's a matter of personal taste, but these PMC rigs are not awesome. Outside the paint it looks like a bunch of dealer installed accessories.

Collectible? As with all vehicles (with a handful of exceptions naturally) the only thing it's going to collect is your disposable income and in the case of these fake performance variants a lot more of it than it should. There is nothing fun or exciting about these which makes the opportunity costs of paying a premium for one even more unappetizing.

For the record, I think its a good looking version of the TLX so I understand the appeal on that level. It's talking a lot of $&@* with those looks, but there is NOTHING to back it up which is where my issues lie. Epic fail to promote PMC with this when it could have been the beginnings of Acura's legitimate AMG, M, V, etc., true performance variants.

2017 MDX Advance SH-AWD, Modern Steel with Ebony
2016 Chevy SS, 6 speed manual
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

I doubt these will be collectibles . All these have is special red paint and same options .

If it had increase in horsepower then it might be well worth it as it will be limited production .
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
Add a detuned RLX 3.5L sport hybrid or even the MDX 3.0L sport hybrid system with 7DCT to the TLX and that would make it way more desirable for me.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

I guess this indicates that the 2020 Mdx will not undergo a complete design change until 2021.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlitt334 View Post
I guess this indicates that the 2020 Mdx will not undergo a complete design change until 2021.

That is the most important piece of information out of this announcement....sigh...the wait for the redesign will continue for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlitt334 View Post
^ this

And I agree that these vehicles are definitely *not*collectibles. I think it's a way to keep the Acura name in the pipeline for an otherwise quiet 2020 production cycle.

2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech
2010 ZDX Advance
2006 MDX Touring Nav
2016 MDX SH-AWD Tech - former
2008 TSX Nav - former
2003 TL Type S - former
Sponsored Links
Advertisement