2014 alternative tire size - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019 Thread Starter

2014 alternative tire size

I want to buy new summer tires and want them to be designed for roads only, without M+S attribute.
Unfortunately my area for 245/55 R19 sire does not give much choice and all of them are M+S.
I want something like Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV or Continental Premium Contact 6
However 255/55 R19 give a lot of tires and they are even cheaper.
I know that it will increase wheel size (1cm, 29.6" vs 30") and ground clearance slightly (0.5cm), real speed will be about 1% more than displayed.
But I assume it should be fine.

The question is will it fit to standard rims?
I googled and found two sizes for 14 MDX:
19x8.5 (R j) 50 ET and 19x8J 50 ET. Not sure which one is right and installed, cannot see the markings

I hope they are 19x8.5 and will not look like trapezoid.

What do you think about it and what tire size do you use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019

245 would be the biggest you should SAFELY go. 255 or 275 would be able to fit however it would be undesirable. Just get your tires from tirerack.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardude2000 View Post
245 would be the biggest you should SAFELY go. 255 or 275 would be able to fit however it would be undesirable. Just get your tires from tirerack.
275 is not even an option, I do not consider those.

What is your main consideration about safety speaking about 255?
I cannot find summer (not all season) tires in 245/55/19 size from well known brands like Michelin or Continental, I do not think they still produce summer tires for that size. There are however available all season tires from continentl/michelin and Chinese brands.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

https://www.rimringz.com/tire-too-wide-or-too-narrow/

The sizes for this car in 255 are very limited. If you run 255/50s you can get conti summer tires.
However, I did not check if they are ok with the weight of the MDX and load. You would probably be way better off getting a high performance All Season tire unless you're hitting the track.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Did you see that Goodyear offers their Eagle Sport All-Season model in the 245/55/19 size? While it's technically an all-season tire, I would hesitate to run it in snow based on the tread pattern.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardude2000 View Post
https://www.rimringz.com/tire-too-wide-or-too-narrow/

The sizes for this car in 255 are very limited. If you run 255/50s you can get conti summer tires.
However, I did not check if they are ok with the weight of the MDX and load. You would probably be way better off getting a high performance All Season tire unless you're hitting the track.
255/50 are not very popular also. 255/55 R19 popular European size, which has a lot of summer tires, including Michelin and Continental. Not sure why alternative size everywhere for MDX is listed as 255/50. 255/55 is closer to original wheel size and deviation is about 1%. For 255/50 deviation is about 2%.
I'm not hitting for a track and actually MDX is not a car for a track. I have separate set of tires for winter and primarily car usage will be for roads I will not go for a mud and I do not need all season tires, which can perform in mud. Advantage of summer tires is that any way they will perform better on the road, at least have less breaking path and sometimes even 2 meters might matter. Therefore, I would prefer to go with summer tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrface View Post
Did you see that Goodyear offers their Eagle Sport All-Season model in the 245/55/19 size? While it's technically an all-season tire, I would hesitate to run it in snow based on the tread pattern.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

I'm from Ukraine, decided to go with Nokian Hakka Black 2 SUV 245/55 R19, not sure that those available in US/Canada. Will install them this week.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

the M+S ratings do not imply that the tire is a snow tire or designed for mud bogs. It means that the tire doesn't load up with mud and snow in the grooves so it works in light snow and mud. You would still need cables for snow. M+S tires are most common. There is no reason not to consider them if you are getting a tire that lasts longer and handles better. Most are touring tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement