From 17 to 19 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

From 17 to 19 MDX

I own a 17 MDX Elite (Adv Ent in US) and just got a 19 MDX Tech loaner today. The ride is night and day different, especially on the transmission. I somehow feel the ride is smoother than my 17 as well. But when I checked the spec, only the Elite trim here got the Active Damper, so it should ride the same. However the transmission is definitely better on the 19. I would recommend anyone buying the current gen to go for the 19.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019

Garage
With the all new 2020 coming out soon, I would wait until then to see how the 19 compares to the 2020 with the 10AT.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
With the all new 2020 coming out soon, I would wait until then to see how the 19 compares to the 2020 with the 10AT.
You are making the assumption they are launching a complete redesign 4th gen MDX in a few months (in 2019 as a 2020 model year). Considering they haven't even shown it off to the press yet and there have been no spy shots of a production ready prototype doing testing, I am pretty confident in saying there won't be a redesign this year. Just like the 2020 TLX, I'd expect the 2020 MDX will be the same as the 2019 with different color options possibly while they eye next year for a full redesign.

The point about possibly waiting a few months to see what the 2020 MDX will be however doesn't hurt if you don't need to make a decision right now. At the very least if they are the same then you can possibly jump on a great deal on a 2019 at that point as they try to close out to make room for 2020's.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019

As vehicles age performance changes. You really cant compare a new to one with miles on it. Just not fair. As for the transmission have you had yours checked to see if it is due for an update?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareshi View Post
I own a 17 MDX Elite (Adv Ent in US) and just got a 19 MDX Tech loaner today. The ride is night and day different, especially on the transmission. I somehow feel the ride is smoother than my 17 as well. But when I checked the spec, only the Elite trim here got the Active Damper, so it should ride the same. However the transmission is definitely better on the 19. I would recommend anyone buying the current gen to go for the 19.
Thatís assuming they have money for a new car. I like redesigns. If I was buying new and I could wait,Iíd wait.
kareshi likes this.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD Gone.
2017 MDX, ADV SP HYBRID. MODERN STEEL.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan View Post
Thatís assuming they have money for a new car. I like redesigns. If I was buying new and I could wait,Iíd wait.
As long as you were prepared to deal with the inevitable gremlins to get worked out of the first model year in a redesign. That or were prepared to wait until the 2nd or 3rd year of the next gen redesign as by then things should have stabilized some.

Also be prepared to spend anywhere from $5k-$10k more for next gen out of the gate due to inevitable higher MSRP and the fact they'll be selling at full MSRP for most of the first year. That in comparison to the 19 that you can score pretty decent deals on for invoice or below.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn0128 View Post
As vehicles age performance changes. You really cant compare a new to one with miles on it. Just not fair. As for the transmission have you had yours checked to see if it is due for an update?
Yes the dealer told me that they can do an update. i haven't got my car back yet so i will report back after.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan View Post
I like redesign too. The potential saving is huge though when the redesign is coming out. They are already discounting it for a few grands right now, with bargaining it could be even more.

For sure the latest is supposed to be the greatest.
hickph likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019

Garage
Having apple car play in the +18 MDXs is a huge plus if you like that kinda thing. Car play can be a little hard to maneuver with knob only (I wish they had the option of putting car play on the touch screen). Siri is only about 100X better than Acura voice controls.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareshi View Post
I like redesign too. The potential saving is huge though when the redesign is coming out. They are already discounting it for a few grands right now, with bargaining it could be even more.

For sure the latest is supposed to be the greatest.
If you read 3rd gen RDX forums there are plenty of people who have had a wide range of issues, which is to be expected on a completely new design with new technology that's never been implemented before. It's not a bad vehicle and a lot of people are happy, however just be aware with the first year after a redesign as an early adopter you are at a much higher risk of having to deal with these "gremlins". At the very least when a new redesign hits it might be wise to not buy one right away, but perhaps wait 6 months or so for some of the initial production kinks to get worked out first. On the 3rd Gen RDX forum it sounds like those who bought immediately after launch might have higher prevalence of issues then those who waited a few months. Which makes sense, as that was the very first time they got the production line stood up for a completely new model and it takes factory awhile to get familiar with building a brand new vehicle they've never built before.

But for sure when they do announce the 4th gen redesign (whether it's this year or next year, I suspect next year) then you should be able to get even better deals on the current gen closeouts (to your point there are already good deals to be had, so that would mean even better deals). That in conjunction with the fact that like the RDX the redesign MDX is likely to sell faster then they can make them the redesign will be selling at full MSRP (in some markets even higher then MSRP) for close to the first year, all of which can mean the redesign 4th gen is likely to cost close to $10k or higher more than what you can get a 3rd gen for. It's up to each person to decide if it's worth it to them to pay that high of a premium for 4th gen instead of getting a great deal on 3rd gen.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019 Thread Starter

Some additional differences observed:

1) The rear camera seems to be clearer than my 17
2) The windshield fluid shoots up much higher on the windshield than my 17. The 19 can cover most of the windshield, while my 17 mostly reach the lower and up to the middle at most.

Quote:
As long as you were prepared to deal with the inevitable gremlins to get worked out of the first model year in a redesign. That or were prepared to wait until the 2nd or 3rd year of the next gen redesign as by then things should have stabilized some.
While what you state sounds logical on the surface I don't think it often works out that way in practicality. For example, I purchased an early 2014 MDX (built June 2013) and have had no issues with it yet the few common items that people complained about here, such as panel alignment, thumps from the rear end, noisy fuel pump, infotainment issues, and the like, persisted into the next year and even the year and years after that in some cases. Certain items were addressed easily and readily enough via recalls. The infotainment software I had the dealer update (at no cost) as the few releases became available. In retrospect I'm glad I bought the 3rd gen when it first came out, which just happened to align with when I wanted to buy a vehicle.

I've noticed the same paradigm regarding first year versus subsequent years on other makes/models as well. I think it simply takes longer for some of the more chronic issues to be firstly detected and secondly corrected to make it within a model year and ultimately most issues are addressed readily enough via the warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate buying the 4th gen when it comes out assuming I like it and I was ready to buy a new vehicle at the time, which I'm probably not since the 2014 is still working fine for now and still feels like a new vehicle to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post
While what you state sounds logical on the surface I don't think it often works out that way in practicality. For example, I purchased an early 2014 MDX (built June 2013) and have had no issues with it yet the few common items that people complained about here, such as panel alignment, thumps from the rear end, noisy fuel pump, infotainment issues, and the like, persisted into the next year and even the year and years after that in some cases. Certain items were addressed easily and readily enough via recalls. The infotainment software I had the dealer update (at no cost) as the few releases became available. In retrospect I'm glad I bought the 3rd gen when it first came out, which just happened to align with when I wanted to buy a vehicle.

I've noticed the same paradigm regarding first year versus subsequent years on other makes/models as well. I think it simply takes longer for some of the more chronic issues to be firstly detected and secondly corrected to make it within a model year and ultimately most issues are addressed readily enough via the warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate buying the 4th gen when it comes out assuming I like it and I was ready to buy a new vehicle at the time, which I'm probably not since the 2014 is still working fine for now and still feels like a new vehicle to me.
Right, not everyone will have problems (or notice them), so you'll notice all I said was be "prepared" to deal with those issues, not that anyone "will" definitely have issues. But having issues impact a brand new redesign are very common on brand new redesigns across all manufacturers (not just Acura).

So again it's not to say definitely "don't" buy a new redesign as soon as it's released, but more so that you should just not be surprised and need to be patient "if" issues do arise as that would be fairly common to have happen. In any event, it might be wise to wait a couple months after launch instead of buying the first vehicles off the production line as there are likely to be some production inconsistencies when they first stand up the line and start building a brand new model for the very first time.

Quote:
it might be wise to wait a couple months after launch instead of buying the first vehicles off the production line as there are likely to be some production inconsistencies when they first stand up the line and start building a brand new model for the very first time.
It might be but realistically car manufacturers aren't that quick to react to many of the issues and indeed many issues don't really come to light until many months after the sale when enough feedback has been aggregated by the manufacturer to start to do something about it and the fix itself could be a very long process since they sometimes need to work with their suppliers of the component, perhaps go through a redesign, and then start to incorporate the change into the line. In addition, a warranty goes a long way towards ameliorating the issues.

On top of that, there's the issue of when exactly is the 'first year' to avoid? For example, I bought a 2014 MDX that had a carryover transmission in it and a somewhat carryover engine in it. People who waited a couple of years into the 3rd gen found themselves with a completely different and brand new trans in the vehicle and one that wasn't trouble free for all. Yet later models introduced the hybrid which now had a different engine, yet a different trans, and the complexities of the hybrid aspect.

Moreover, on the intro model, including the very first ones to roll off the line, most of the issues could have been readily detected by one who would have done a thorough inspection of the vehicles along with a reasonable test drive and spending some seat time in the vehicle even on the showroom floor because in doing that they would have detected any panel alignment issues, rear thumps, noisy fuel pump, an infotainment system perhaps not to their liking (but perhaps not intermittent glitches), etc. - i.e. all of the items that seemed to be the more frequently complained about issues by those who happened to experience them.

Given that, I don't really discount what you're saying and if it was no impact one way or the other I also would likely prefer to not get the first ones that roll off on a new model although that definition really needs to be not the 'generation' of the vehicle but the generation and also the major components of engine, trans, suspension, etc. since a change in any of the latter is essentially like a new model. But if I was ready to buy, as I was when I got the 2014 (since my existing SUV had 200K miles on it) I wouldn't hesitate to get one with the condition that I'd do a thorough inspection and would take advantage of the warranty for anything that's wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post
It might be but realistically car manufacturers aren't that quick to react to many of the issues and indeed many issues don't really come to light until many months after the sale when enough feedback has been aggregated by the manufacturer to start to do something about it and the fix itself could be a very long process since they sometimes need to work with their suppliers of the component, perhaps go through a redesign, and then start to incorporate the change into the line. In addition, a warranty goes a long way towards ameliorating the issues.

On top of that, there's the issue of when exactly is the 'first year' to avoid? For example, I bought a 2014 MDX that had a carryover transmission in it and a somewhat carryover engine in it. People who waited a couple of years into the 3rd gen found themselves with a completely different and brand new trans in the vehicle and one that wasn't trouble free for all. Yet later models introduced the hybrid which now had a different engine, yet a different trans, and the complexities of the hybrid aspect.

Moreover, on the intro model, including the very first ones to roll off the line, most of the issues could have been readily detected by one who would have done a thorough inspection of the vehicles along with a reasonable test drive and spending some seat time in the vehicle even on the showroom floor because in doing that they would have detected any panel alignment issues, rear thumps, noisy fuel pump, an infotainment system perhaps not to their liking (but perhaps not intermittent glitches), etc. - i.e. all of the items that seemed to be the more frequently complained about issues by those who happened to experience them.

Given that, I don't really discount what you're saying and if it was no impact one way or the other I also would likely prefer to not get the first ones that roll off on a new model although that definition really needs to be not the 'generation' of the vehicle but the generation and also the major components of engine, trans, suspension, etc. since a change in any of the latter is essentially like a new model. But if I was ready to buy, as I was when I got the 2014 (since my existing SUV had 200K miles on it) I wouldn't hesitate to get one with the condition that I'd do a thorough inspection and would take advantage of the warranty for anything that's wrong.
My statement was purely observational from reading the 3rd gen 2019 RDX forum where it seemed some models very early in the run had some issues with the infotainment screens overheating in the sun while later adopters didn't appear to have those same issues. That was just one topic but in general there were quite a few very early adopters who had some issues that people who bought later didn't. You obviously had good luck with your 2014, but that isn't to say everyone has the same experience. At the end of the day everyone will do whatever they want and everyone will have unique experiences so it isn't one size fits all. My statement was directed more towards those who want the latest and greatest so bad that they buy one of the first cars off the line when they first hit dealerships knowing the risks of being an early adopter, then are irate when they have issues with a new car they spend $50k on. My statement was in essence if someone is one of those people they'd be wise to wait a bit instead of being in a rush because statistically anytime a vehicle is revised with substantial changes or has radically new technology introduced you are much more likely to experience issues then someone who waited a bit. If they know those risks going in, yet are an early adopter anyway and their vehicle has a ton of issues, in a way they knew what they were getting into so being irate at that point is somewhat illogical as it shouldn't have been a surprise that outcome wasn't in the realm of possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement