• 1 Post By andysinnh
  • 1 Post By neoshi
  • 1 Post By neoshi

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

6-speed transmission light pushes

Hi,

Just bough 2014 MDX.
Usually driving in comfortable IDS mode. Accelerating slowly I feel slight forward pushes when transmission changes gears up. Decelerating slowly just using engine (no gas, no breaks pedal) I also feel light push backward when transmission changes gear down, during that push engine RPM goes up. So it is not instant pushes, engine changes RPM at that time.

Accelerating hardly I do not feel any pushes.

Is it a problem or just usual transmission operation?

Best regards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sounds like transmission doing its job. Up and down shifting to match road speed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Common issue. Transmission fluid needs changed. There are two TSBs and an extended warranty for it.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi.../169078?page=1
index likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVAKeith View Post
Common issue. Transmission fluid needs changed. There are two TSBs and an extended warranty for it.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi.../169078?page=1

Could you please provide more information? The link opens page with topic list.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Hi buddy,

This is what I am experiencing so far, the dealer flushed the tranny for me, also changed the TC, I don't feel much changed, I even test drive it with the "Master Mechanic" in dealer, he told me everything is normal, but I will suggests you to go to the dealer and perform all those TBS, just to give yourself a peaceful mind. For the feeling that you got when accelerating, I am not sure if it is the VCM doing the job, but if you want, you can get the s-vcm to deactivate the VCM.
index likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you for information, really appreciate it.
How technically critical this issue is? I will definitely try to do those TSBs. But in general what does this mean? Will transmission fail in near future or it may still work for several years?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

I can share a similar experience with my wife's 2012 TL SH-AWD with the automatic - identical driveline setup to the MDX. When the transmission fluid gets 20-25K miles on it, the transmission gets "balky" when upshifting and downshifting. It seems to hold it a bit longer and not as smooth. And doing a simple drain/fill of the transmission fluid solves the problem for the next 20-25k miles. I've found the 6-speed auto is very particular about the "freshness" of the transmission fluid, and doing a regular change like every 3 oil changes seems to keep the car happy. YMMV.

andy
index likes this.

Andy from Southern NH

Current Rides:
2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid - Wife's, 1400 miles, Majestic Black
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech - Mine, 14k miles, Fathom Blue
2017 Acura ILX Premium - Oldest kid's, 38k miles, White

Previous Acura family vehicles:
2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
2013 Acura MDX SH-AWD Base
1996 Acura RL
1993 Acura Legend L
1991 Acura Integra GS coupe
1990 Acura Integra LS sedan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by index View Post
Thank you for information, really appreciate it.
How technically critical this issue is? I will definitely try to do those TSBs. But in general what does this mean? Will transmission fail in near future or it may still work for several years?
We haven't seen cases going that far down the rabbit hole yet, but the nature of the problem is thickened and burnt ATF. Thickened and burned ATF will cause poor shifting behavior and can eventually cause components to seize if chunks of burnt material become lodged in critical components. IMO, it's pretty critical, as I've been down the path of a bad transmission three times in my life (and one of them is with a Honda transmission, and it still haunts my family to the tune of about $3500 some 19 years later), and it is never pleasant to deal with either a rebuild (unlikely anyone can do this properly) or replacement (around $3-4k).
index likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
We haven't seen cases going that far down the rabbit hole yet, but the nature of the problem is thickened and burnt ATF. Thickened and burned ATF will cause poor shifting behavior and can eventually cause components to seize if chunks of burnt material become lodged in critical components. IMO, it's pretty critical, as I've been down the path of a bad transmission three times in my life (and one of them is with a Honda transmission, and it still haunts my family to the tune of about $3500 some 19 years later), and it is never pleasant to deal with either a rebuild (unlikely anyone can do this properly) or replacement (around $3-4k).

Thank you. Will definitely change ATF, already registered for this Friday, hope they will notice those pushes.

Read those TSB and found information about warranty "The warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first."
Is this warranty to do those TSB free of charge or it is for transmission itself?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sounds like just to do this tsb because the normal warranty is 6yr/70k and didn't appear to extend the existing warranty in any statements.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
index likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I live in Ukraine and visited local dealer.
They did not like the idea to do those TSBs, specially free of charge, the reasons was
1. From TSBs describtion is about "judder", which more close to vibration not to pushes. There also might be language problems, how you treat it?

2. TSBs are for USA, not for Ukraine. However as I can see 201415 MDX VIN range - ALL

3. It is getting warmer in Ukraine and pushes while driving getting less noticeable, specially when you are passenger. So they hardly notice those pushes. However pushes are noticeable when just switching transmission P, D, R.

However they do not mind to do those TSBs if I pay for the work and parts.

As I'm about 2k miles from regular oil change in transmission they agree that it makes sense to just change transmission liquids and then see how behavior changes.

What would you recommend in this situation?
a. Just change liquids as ordinary transmission maintenance
b. Do those TSBs and pay for work and parts
c. Push the dealer to do those TSBs free of charge. And it is a question how to make it happen?

Since you'll need to do option (a), change the trans fluid, anyway, just do that and see if you still experience the problem.

I have a 2014 MDX, which I always keep in Sport mode, and haven't noticed anything odd about the transmission shifts. I don't really know what you mean about 'pushes' though. Do you mean the shift 'hesitates' between gears for a bit when shifting?

Yeah, if they resist doing it for free, I would recommend you DIY it or have a shop do it, depending on your level of expertise. It is a really easy transmission to change fluid on though. I have instructions if you need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement