Navtool installation on my MDX 2014 Base SH-AWD - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018 Thread Starter

Talking Navtool installation on my MDX 2014 Base SH-AWD

I only use Carplay for now.

1. Order

1) Placed order with 10% coupon for the Acura MDX 2014 Carplay on Sunday. $549.99 * 0.9
    2) Arrived on next Thursday, BUT 2x4pin digital cable (for display) were missing. Contacted them, and they resent it and got them on Sunday.

2. Installation
    1) I mainly follow this youtube video for installation:

2) You will need to buy male RCA to male RCA for audio. I'm not sure why they don't include this required cable in the package. something like: RCA to RCA

3) Tools needed (+ Phillips screwdriver):

4) Install

5) Finish initial installation with the Mic provided in the package (under the dash), but there are a lot of static/hiss from the mic provided. I tried to move it near the rear view mirror. Similar/same result.

Note: Don't connect your phone via both Carplay and Bluetooth at same time, it caused a lot of problems for me, including completely froze the navtool screen.
    Note: You will need to change the audio input to "AUX" to hear sound from Carplay.
    Note: if you get screen asking you to "Enter Code", press and hold the "Green" power button for about 5s (Next to the volume knob on the CD player)

6) Finish final installation with Rode Shotgun mic VideoMicro. The Rode mic is much better at removing static/hiss than the one provided in the package, but the loudness is about the same (volume is still too low). The navtool I got has about 3.18V output from microphone jack, so it is able to power the Rode VideoMicro mic (requires min 3V plug-in power).

Some other small things to connect the Rode mic to the Navtool mic: TRS to TS, shoe stand for mic

3. Conclusion
    1) I'm very happy with the result so far. Will update this post if I see more issues.
    2) I wish they had a way to boost the microphone input further like on computer. Even with the Rode gunshot microphone, the microphone volume is still low. From the test I did, it uses the mic from the Navtool in the following scenarios:
    *) you start the Siri using the "Phone" button on the dashboard
    *) when you enter interactive conversation with Siri after you use "Hey, Siri" to start Siri. For example - Me: Hey, Siri. Call [name] (picked up by phone). Siri: Which [name]?. Me: [this response will go through the Navtool mic].

4. Issues so far
    1) The whole screen got stuck when I was in carplay mode twice for me. Only the carplay screen freezing, you can still switch back to factory screen by pressing the back button. I have to either wait for the car to shutdown the power supply to Navtool (around 5min after you shutdown your car) to reset it, or I need to open the dash to disconnect the power to Navtool. This issue seems to only happen when I connect my iPhone XR to both car bluetooth & Carplay.

2) It doesn't automatically switch to backup camera when I put car to reverse in carplay mode occasionally.

3) You can't use those buttons on steering wheel to start/stop Siri (only though the "Phone" button on dashboard and "Hey, Siri" if you have it turned on on your phone)

5. Wishlist
    1) Use car microphone to talk to Siri
    2) I wish there is a way to further boost the microphone volume in the device setting
    3) I wish they have the change log for their Navtool software updates, so that we can decide when to take out the device and update for the feature/bug fixes we want.

6. TODO
    1) I will try to install front-camera for parking, but I don't know how to do it yet. Will do more research and see how it works with Navtool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018

May I inquire if you found a good way to fish the Aux audio cable (RCA twin connectors to 3.5mm jack) to the Aux plug in the center console?

Someone said there was a rubber grommet inside the center console that the cable could be fished through somehow, but I am not seeing it. I would like to completely hide that aux cable.

Thank you!
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Red View Post
May I inquire if you found a good way to fish the Aux audio cable (RCA twin connectors to 3.5mm jack) to the Aux plug in the center console?

Someone said there was a rubber grommet inside the center console that the cable could be fished through somehow, but I am not seeing it. I would like to completely hide that aux cable.

Thank you!
I don't use the RCA to 3.5mm. I use 2 male RCA to male RCA to connect the audio for my car. Something like this. See the screenshot from the installation video. Maybe it is different for your car?

BTW, the label for the RCA audio cable is wrong. It says it is for camera, but actually for audio. The following is actually AUDIO cable, not video.

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by leochen View Post

Navtool is not shipping that cable anymore. They are telling me to use a RCA to mini 3.5mm aux connection in the console now. Said that cable picks up engine noise.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

I don’t hear the engine noise with this setup so far. Will do a bit more testing and see if that is the case by switching audio source
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018

@leochen you should buy longer MFI apple lighting cable and route it inside the armrest this way its going to be like factory

Mods:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

@Flame Red, I see what you mean now. When I turn the volume all the way up. I do hear less noise when I connect through the 3.5mm in the armrest. I can barely hear it if I turn the volume down to the level I usually listen to music (10-15). I can probably love with that for now.
@mdxlife, this is first time I open my car. I have no idea how to open and route the wire to armrest area.

For now, I would like to know how to run my front parking camera. Eg: where to tap the 12v power? Fuse box? And how to run the video cable.
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

just noticed that those image links are broken now. re-uploaded them to here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	108352   Click image for larger version

Name:	a.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	108354   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	108356   Click image for larger version

Name:	g.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	108358   Click image for larger version

Name:	f.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	108360  

Name:	e.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	108362   Click image for larger version

Name:	d.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	108364  
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018

If you remove the lower trim panel you can run the wire through the armrest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180525_160952_1541978412518.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	108366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180525_160725_1541978498672.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	108368   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180525_190855_1541978534442.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	556.6 KB
ID:	108370  
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

@Gtech that's very helpful, thank you very much.
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018 Thread Starter

Just did as you guys said (run the lightning cable inside armrest), and use the RCA to 3.5mm in armrest to remove the engine noise from AUX. Looks much better now.

The mic volume is still too low. Researching to see if there is pre-amp with 3V+ plug-in power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	108372  
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018 Thread Starter

* Microphone volume issue update:
- I was able to install a new preamp with 3V plug-in power to power Rode Shotgun mic VideoMicro, and it sounds much louder now with few hiss/static. I need to run separate wire to provide the power to the preamp with this kit. The Carplay stopped working if I use USB hub to provide power to the preamp from Navtool.

- I also ran the 3.5mm audio wire behind the dash, so all the wires are gone! (See the attachment)

* New issues
- It doesn't recognize my iPhone as Carplay device sometimes. I need to unplug/plug to make it work. It is annoying. Once it is connected, it worked great. Hopefully they address this issue in the future software update.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	108436  

Great info! Keep updating us with the bugs that need to be kinked out with the software. I'm curious about their after support.

Aside from periodically hooking up a laptop to the Navtool - how do we find out Navtool put out a software update for us?
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018 Thread Starter

Navtool installation on my MDX 2014 Base SH-AWD

I wish they publish their change log on there website, so that we can decide when to update. I havenít updated it since I installed it. I personally only feel comfortable with the software version which has been out for a while for better stability, but I donít think they even version their software.

There are even bugs in software produced by big company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement