So....where do I start?!
- Went to the installer at 8am on Sunday morning. 2 hours later, the installer says it's not working, cables are missing, updates not working...etc, etc.
- Installer calls NavTool and the actual owner of NavTool (the guy who does the youtube videos for their products) comes to the installer and takes over. Does various software updates to the box. Eventually, it works, however, the menu pops up when you turn on the left turn signal. Its supposed to turn on CP when you press and hold the back button...not the turn signal. Another two hours go by with no progress.
- The owner of NavTools tells me that they need to do another update and the update is actually being prepared by the software engineers at the office in New Jersey.
- The owner asked me if I can bring the car to the office. Since I was headed in that direction, I decided to give it one more shot.
- The owner and 2 of his engineers worked on the software testing it with my car for 2 hours. Finally, it was done! It works!
- The owner took $100 off the bill for my troubles.
- I leave the office to head home and 10 minutes in to the drive, CP stops working and doesn't recognize any phones attached. Called the owner back he asked to please bring it back and he'll look at it for me. He said that everything should work and something maybe loose.
- Took the car back (was only 10 minutes away) and he said the issue was the charging cable I was using. He said I will need to use an apple certified or original apple charging cable.
- He gave me another cable (not apple original) and it worked....so off I went.
- After about 40 minutes, it stopped working. Since it was not an original cable, I decided to wait.
- After getting home, I installed an original cable and its working so far. However, I have not driven it no longer than 20 minutes at a time. I'm hoping the original cable and the software updates solved all issues.
So, now that it "seems" stable and working as intended, I love it. Its just so awesome having google maps and Spotify on the main screen. All factory buttons and functions seems to working fine. CP uses the center dial for navigation around the menu and works seamlessly.
Step by step: I get in the car, plug my phone in, start the car, wait for the system to start up (10-20 seconds) and then the menu pops up for CP. Click on it if you want car play or just hit back button not to launch CP. Once launched, you can switch between any audio source and keep CP display on the main screen. Keep in mind, if you need the audio from CP, you have to keep the audio source set to AUX.
Also, for phone calls and siri, I use the steering wheel button and bluetooth. I discovered there is no MIC on CP. You "could" install a mic but that was going to cost extra and I'd have to go back to the installer to get it done. I dont need it because phone calls work great from bluetooth and car mic and steering wheel controls. CP displays all the pone call info, etc just fine.
So far, its working just like the way you see it on the youtube guide for 5.0 version.
I'll update this forum if I run in to any issues in the coming days. So far, I love having Google maps and all the traffic info on my screen and the ability to use tune-in, spotify, etc directly from the MDX head unit.