BC coilovers installed on my '14 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018 Thread Starter

BC coilovers installed on my '14 MDX

Yesterday I finished installing BC coilovers on my MDX.

Reason for this is that even though in general I really do like the MDX, I don't like the wobbly suspension and soft leaning cornering of the car.

I must say that first impressions with the BC kit is very positive.
It was a pain to get the old struts out of the car, installing was a lot easier as the BC units ar a lot smaller and shorter.
I set the ridehight as high as possible, didn't want to lower too much, ended up with lowering the car 1 1/4 inch all round from standard hight, looks good.

The units came with factory set dampening at 8 of 30 clicks from full hard which seemed a bit too much for my taste, so I changed the setting to 15 clicks from full hard to try out.
I still have to figure out how to get to the adjustment of the rears after the install, but for now I am trying out how it is at this setting.

First impressions are really good:
- now the suspension is a lot firmer, not wobbly anymore
- still reasonably comfortable, not annoyingly hard
- cornering is way better, it goes through corners almost like a good sports sedan, really what I was looking for.
Handling overall is very much improved.

So first impressions are really positive, this was what I was looking for in way of better handling without sacrificing too much comfort.

tredog00802 and Mdx-4me like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018

Garage
yikes, 1.25" lower? The MDX is too low, already, imo.

Do you have pictures you can share?

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018

Do you happen to know what the service period is on these BC COs? I'm tempted to switch when these struts wear out or somewhere around 60k miles but prior experience with COs is that the service requirements is sometimes pretty frequent and the cost associated (~$500) made them kind of more hassle than benefit for just DDing. Also, did pgeorg get you the info about the adjustment extenders?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018 Thread Starter

BC factory warranty against manufacturing defects is just 1 year, so not very long.
But hey, choice is very limited, as there are just 2 manufacturers making kits for the G3 MDX: BC and Megan, which seems to have less good reviews than BC..
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018 Thread Starter

Yep, I don't like clearly lowered cars either (those where part of the tires are in the wheelwells).
This is why I set the coilovers as high as possible, but that still meant a 1 1/4" drop (I think with this kit you could drop the car 3-4 inches if you wanted to, not my thing..).

However, as the wheelwell gaps above the tyres were quite big to start with, this means that even in the 1 1/4 " lowered stance a gap between wheelwells and tires remains, not giving the obvious lowered look.

Stance as is now, looks good and acceptable for me and ofcourse the lowering means lower gravity point, thus better cornering just as result of the lowering..
And the sportier characteristics of the BC shocks and springs adding a lot more cornering sharpness to this.

A few fast not so good pics
Hight like this is nice I think, but I wouldn't want it lowered more..

Pic 1 is OE hight
Pic2-4 is with BC
Pic 5 is comparison BC-OE front strut
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4322.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	108208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5428.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	925.4 KB
ID:	108210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5429.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	799.3 KB
ID:	108212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5436.JPG
Views:	397
Size:	897.7 KB
ID:	108214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5418.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	108216  

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018

Nice!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018

looks very nice, i am also considering going with BC coilovers, as the ride is to wobbly and soft. by the way what spring choice did you go with, if i'm not mistaken they also offer swift springs as an option which was bit more stiff.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnne60 View Post
looks very nice, i am also considering going with BC coilovers, as the ride is to wobbly and soft. by the way what spring choice did you go with, if i'm not mistaken they also offer swift springs as an option which was bit more stiff.
Keep in mind that I am in Europe, where the MDX was never sold.

I went with the standard BC setup.
I felt it was already expensive enough, as the MDX is just one of several cars that I have and everything for the MDX has to be shipped here as nothing is available, adding import taxes and shipping cost to everything
gnne60 likes this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019

Hello, I ordered myself the same installation kit, could you share advice on how to install them correctly?
Thank you very much
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019 Thread Starter

Am sorry to say that I am in discussion with BC about the kit, as the coilovers are making thumping/cloncking sounds (is that correct Englisch?) on all 4 corners when driving on uneven pavement, over the last 2 months this is getting worse.

Ofcourse BC are quick to respond that there must be either a installation error made by me, or stabaliser rubbers/ endlinks must be worn/ making the noises.
I checked, and everything is tight, no play to be found in these parts and as before installing there were no noises with the OE parts, also not very likely.

As I wanted to make sure of myself, I had my race mechanic who is a highly experienced allround mechanic check things and he concluded the same: everything installed correctly and no worn rubbers/ endlinks parts and no play..

He performed a small by hand test of the coilovers on the car by lifting the wheels about 2" off the ground, having them hang free, put a breakerbar between the lift plate and underside of the tire and moved the bar up and down to see how the the wheel/ suspension would resist/ dampen the movement.

It turned out that he could quite easily make the wheel/coilover jump up and down about an inch without seeing the shock dampening this movement and without the car itself moving much.
He told me in his opinion this was strange/ unusual, the coilover should not be pressed in so easily and not move out without any visible resistance/ dampening by the shockabsorber.
He thinks something may be wrong with the short dampening capabilities of the shocks, possibly having the wheels jump on uneven pavement due to a lack of short dampening, thus causing the cloncking/thumping sounds.

At the moment BC seems to be closed for holidays,.... to be continued......, but I will not keep the coilovers on the car like this, the car now sounds like a very old car with worn suspension on uneven roads

Valves gone bad?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsevo View Post
Yep, I don't like clearly lowered cars either (those where part of the tires are in the wheelwells).
This is why I set the coilovers as high as possible, but that still meant a 1 1/4" drop (I think with this kit you could drop the car 3-4 inches if you wanted to, not my thing..).

However, as the wheelwell gaps above the tyres were quite big to start with, this means that even in the 1 1/4 " lowered stance a gap between wheelwells and tires remains, not giving the obvious lowered look.

Stance as is now, looks good and acceptable for me and ofcourse the lowering means lower gravity point, thus better cornering just as result of the lowering..
And the sportier characteristics of the BC shocks and springs adding a lot more cornering sharpness to this.

A few fast not so good pics
Hight like this is nice I think, but I wouldn't want it lowered more..

Pic 1 is OE hight
Pic2-4 is with BC
Pic 5 is comparison BC-OE front strut
I have a few installation questions, can you help me? My whatsapp +7 964 106 95 95
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-02-23_021613.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	109038  

subscribed. i might be getting my wife '15 in a few months and prefer a more firm ride.

What came of this?

I am in a conversation with BC Racing about R&D for a different vehicle and your issue has me concerned. Please update.

In general, I did not get any help from the owner of the topic, and the answers, as a result, I had to do everything myself.
I managed to completely install the entire suspension from the manufacturer of BC Racing, Iím not very happy with the support of BC Racing, because they donít even have instructions on installing our cars, so donít wait for help from them! they are simply silent!
As a result, the suspension is installed, there are no rolls, I made adjustment at the back of 5 turns in front of 5 turns, I am satisfied, now itís not going at all like on rails 220 kilometers per hour This suspension is 1000 times better than the original!
Concluded for myself that you need to put pneuma to adjust the clearance, in general, I am very satisfied!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190302_185028.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	109154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190302_185054.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	954.8 KB
ID:	109156   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190301_200804.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	977.4 KB
ID:	109158  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in