MDX 2020 rumors roundup and predictions - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
MDX 2020 rumors roundup and predictions

I've started compiling all the rumors and stuff I've read about the next MDX redesign.

1. Past MDX models life cycle:
Gen 1: 2001-2006 (6 years)
Gen 2: 2007-2013 (7 years)
Gen 3: 2014-2019 (6 years?)

Considering how important the MDX is in today's SUV/CUV market, my bet is that 2019 will be the MDX's last model year for the third generation.

2. ILX vs MDX:
The ILX is getting old and some have speculated that the ILX would be the one to get an all new model for 2020 model year, instead of the MDX.
Considering the ILX is getting a facelift for 2019, my guess is that the ILX is not getting a complete redesign for 2020. It would rather be the MDX.

3. Past announcements:
RDX 2013 was introduced in Detroit in january 2012.
MDX 2014 was introduced in Detroit in january 2013.

RDX 2019 was introduced in Detroit in january 2018.
MDX 2020?
Following that trend, the MDX 2020 would probably be introduced in Detroit in january 2019 (from jan 14 to 27) and go on sale in the summer of 2019.

4. Features predictions:
Considering what was introduced for the 2019 RDX, I could see the following for the MDX:
- New infotainment based on the RDXs system
- New 10 speed tranny
- New V6 engine since the V6 from 3rd gen is getting pretty old.
- Slightly longer wheelbase
- Real materials inside (wood, aluminum,etc.)
- ELS sound system with speakers in the roof
- Heads up display
- 360 camera

I will update as we learn more.

j4ypal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 48
Isn't the 360 camera already there in 2018 MDX?
iceman1331 likes this.
upnorth85 is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018
Registered User
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,952
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth85 View Post
Isn't the 360 camera already there in 2018 MDX?
In advance trim, yes. Included in previous years, too — my 2017 has it. My 2017 also has real open-pore wood.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
p07r0457 is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 189
I am hoping for A/C vent in the 3rd row ..
cardude10 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018
Registered User
 
neoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 2,471
One curious thing I think we need to think about is whether or not Acura introduced the A-Spec this year as a delay tactic. Meaning, they needed more time for the development of something (maybe the V6T? We all know they've been having a b*tch of a time developing one in F1 lol). This came to mind because it would be awfully expensive to have only had the A-Spec run for a year before seeing a 2020 4G MDX, a step that any car business seemingly wouldn't take. But who knows... the MDX is a bit long in the teeth now, but the infotainment update along with the introduction of the adaptive suspension for ALL models probably addressed some of the most major complaints. I'm just curious to see if they're really trying to push the 4G out to 2021/2022.

Also I'm not sure they would introduce a new V6, as this DI V6 J35Y5, albeit an evolution of the older J35s, isn't all that bad. They could probably manage to squeeze a few more ponies out if it rather than developing a new one. But who knows... they could even stick the 2.0T in the base model MDX and then give the Tech+ models the DI V6, while giving the future Type-S a V6T.
neoshi is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018
Registered User
 
E92Vancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ypal View Post
I've started compiling all the rumors and stuff I've read about the next MDX redesign.

1. Past MDX models life cycle:
Gen 1: 2001-2006 (6 years)
Gen 2: 2007-2013 (7 years)
Gen 3: 2014-2019 (6 years?)

Considering how important the MDX is in today's SUV/CUV market, my bet is that 2019 will be the MDX's last model year for the third generation.

2. ILX vs MDX:
The ILX is getting old and some have speculated that the ILX would be the one to get an all new model for 2020 model year, instead of the MDX.
Considering the ILX is getting a facelift for 2019, my guess is that the ILX is not getting a complete redesign for 2020. It would rather be the MDX.

3. Past announcements:
RDX 2013 was introduced in Detroit in january 2012.
MDX 2014 was introduced in Detroit in january 2013.

RDX 2019 was introduced in Detroit in january 2018.
MDX 2020?
Following that trend, the MDX 2020 would probably be introduced in Detroit in january 2019 (from jan 14 to 27) and go on sale in the summer of 2019.

4. Features predictions:
Considering what was introduced for the 2019 RDX, I could see the following for the MDX:
- New infotainment based on the RDXs system
- New 10 speed tranny
- New V6 engine since the V6 from 3rd gen is getting pretty old.
- Slightly longer wheelbase
- Real materials inside (wood, aluminum,etc.)
- ELS sound system with speakers in the roof
- Heads up display
- 360 camera

I will update as we learn more.
The new MDX will have a 3 litre V6 turbo. My guess is it will have 325 hp. The main kicker will be 300 ft lbs of torque at 1,500 rpm.

https://www.acura.ca/newsdetails/nca...e-Model-Lineup

2016 MDX Elite
E92Vancouver is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 351
If I were to guess:

2020 as a 2021 model year
New infotainment for sure
10 speed Honda tranny
RDX I-4 turbo with more HP/TQ
Pano sunroof
Virtual cockpit
Bluray ENT.
VMDX is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude10 View Post
I am hoping for A/C vent in the 3rd row ..


This. The current temp fluctuations in the 3rd row is not good. Also, a little bit more legroom in the 3rd row and a few inches in the cargo area would be awesome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
//HMDX is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018
Registered User
 
NeoGeoH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 21
I'd bet my house that they are going to use that use huge Dynamic Mode knob right in the middle of the center stack, just like the RDX. And probably a flying/cut C-pillar that seems to be all the styling rage lately. I think the MDX will stay a V6 (even if it evolves or gets turbo(s)).

2018 Acura MDX White/Black, SH-AWD, Tech
2013 Acura RDX Graphite Luster/Black, AWD, Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NeoGeoH is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGeoH View Post
I'd bet my house that they are going to use that use huge Dynamic Mode knob right in the middle of the center stack, just like the RDX. And probably a flying/cut C-pillar that seems to be all the styling rage lately. I think the MDX will stay a V6 (even if it evolves or gets turbo(s)).
I also think (hope!) they will stay with a V6. Even the same V6 would be fine...

The 4 cylinder in the RDX seems to be a very capable powerplant but in a vehicle like the MDX, the 4 banger looks like it lacks the smoothness and refinement of the 6 cylinder that we expect. Also the sound of the 4 is something I have trouble with.
wallyo likes this.
j4ypal is offline  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
I'm hoping they come up with a more genuine design. Adding more curves is not going anywhere or going Nissan Pathfinder 2017 which is exactly nowhere by my taste.
I'm still a proud and happy owner of 2003 MDX and boy it was fantastic design then and aged well. Remember 2003? Ugly, plain Highlander, ugly, old RX300. MDX was a breath or fresh air.
By 2018 they managed to get Highlander somehow pretty, exterior anyway but MDX is as plain as Infinity. Especially in the front. Are straight lines (Q7, Lexus, Volvo) that scary?
eric2flat is offline  
Registered User
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,952
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2flat View Post
I'm hoping they come up with a more genuine design. Adding more curves is not going anywhere or going Nissan Pathfinder 2017 which is exactly nowhere by my taste.
I'm still a proud and happy owner of 2003 MDX and boy it was fantastic design then and aged well. Remember 2003? Ugly, plain Highlander, ugly, old RX300. MDX was a breath or fresh air.
By 2018 they managed to get Highlander somehow pretty, exterior anyway but MDX is as plain as Infinity. Especially in the front. Are straight lines (Q7, Lexus, Volvo) that scary?
Are we on the same planet?

You should buy a 2015 Honda Pilot or Scion xB. You'd probably orgasm at the boxiness.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
p07r0457 is offline  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 18
"You should buy a 2015 Honda Pilot or Scion xB. You'd probably orgasm at the boxiness."
Do you think Q7 or XC90 look bad?
eric2flat is offline  
Registered User
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 1,952
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2flat View Post
"You should buy a 2015 Honda Pilot or Scion xB. You'd probably orgasm at the boxiness."
Do you think Q7 or XC90 look bad?
No, I think the XC90 looks great. But I wouldn't call it "boxy" nor would I say it uses primarily straight lines.

The Q7 looks "okay" from the front/side. But, like most Audi models, it looks generic/boring/bland.

I also think the Acura looks nice.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
p07r0457 is offline  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Thanks for your enthusiasm. I hope MDX will be able to keep up with new X5 and GLE350. Current generation looks a bit lenghty, hard to park in NYC. Infotainment will be probably similar to RDX 2019. Wish that ASPEC will be able to have some of the Advanced Pack features such as HUD. And Please tell me engine won’t be 4 cyl like XC90. Keep us posted.
Alex Ander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome