ZF9 low gear rough shift on 2017 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018 Thread Starter

ZF9 low gear rough shift on 2017 MDX

There is a rough shift on my 2017 MDX, mostly 1-2 shift. For up shift 1-2 , it happens when I gently apply gas pedal from stop. But if I apply gas very slow or fast, the shift is OK. For down shift 2-1, it happens when I apply brake very slowly before full stop of the car.
I've put 12k miles, at first I think the shift was generally smooth. I know the transmission is learning to adapt to the driver. Is it learning bad?

2017 MDX AWD w/Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018

Garage
Have the dealer take a look.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhbl View Post
There is a rough shift on my 2017 MDX, mostly 1-2 shift. For up shift 1-2 , it happens when I gently apply gas pedal from stop. But if I apply gas very slow or fast, the shift is OK. For down shift 2-1, it happens when I apply brake very slowly before full stop of the car.
I've put 12k miles, at first I think the shift was generally smooth. I know the transmission is learning to adapt to the driver. Is it learning bad?
Hey there I came across this forum while researching the problem I have with my car.

I just purchased a 2017 Acura MDX w/Tech and entertainment and it has a similar problem to what you are describing. I took it to the dealer and was told that it's fine and that it is normal. There was an error code P0701 found and the technician reset the code and stated it's fine. Technician stated that the car just needed to learn my driving habit and the problem would go away but he reset the driving logic which made no sense to me at all.

It was bothering me a lot so I test drove two different MDXs (2018 and 2017) and both did not have this rough shift into 2nd gear.

I'm getting very frustrated with this issue and am taking the car into the dealer again to try and have it fixed.

Did you have any luck in getting your vehicle fixed? If so what was the repair that was done?

Thanks

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018

More transmission issues; disappointing. That said, is this only when cold, or all the time? Mine exhibits the same but only for the first 5 or so miles of driving. After it warms, the rough shift improves to only noticeable. I was told it is the nature of the super-low launch gear by the dealer.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018

Ask the dealership to update the software per TSB 17-034
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
More transmission issues; disappointing. That said, is this only when cold, or all the time? Mine exhibits the same but only for the first 5 or so miles of driving. After it warms, the rough shift improves to only noticeable. I was told it is the nature of the super-low launch gear by the dealer.
Hey there. My problems persists whether the car is cold or warm. The jerking is more violent when the car is cold but it never goes away regardless of how long I drive the car.

I did test drove two other MDXs while they were not warmed up and noticed no jerking into second gear. My thought on the matter is if this behavior is normal, it should be present on all MDXs with the ZF9 transmission but so far I have only been able to observe it on mine of the 3 that I have drove.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSSIPSAIGON View Post
I asked the tech regarding any software updates and he stated that "Checked for all software update and all was ok".

I'll ask again for them to check the software update.

Also came across "transmission pressure switch replacement" as another possible remedy so maybe ask about this as well... overall love the car but this and other problems have detracted from joy of my Acura ownership
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo1978 View Post
Hey there I came across this forum while researching the problem I have with my car.

I just purchased a 2017 Acura MDX w/Tech and entertainment and it has a similar problem to what you are describing. I took it to the dealer and was told that it's fine and that it is normal. There was an error code P0701 found and the technician reset the code and stated it's fine. Technician stated that the car just needed to learn my driving habit and the problem would go away but he reset the driving logic which made no sense to me at all.

It was bothering me a lot so I test drove two different MDXs (2018 and 2017) and both did not have this rough shift into 2nd gear.

I'm getting very frustrated with this issue and am taking the car into the dealer again to try and have it fixed.

Did you have any luck in getting your vehicle fixed? If so what was the repair that was done?

Thanks
Dealer always says it is normal. Mine has the 1-2 shift jerk regardless of whether cold or warm. The jerk is unnoticeable only when I do a very slow or very fast acceleration.

2017 MDX AWD w/Tech
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhbl View Post
Dealer always says it is normal. Mine has the 1-2 shift jerk regardless of whether cold or warm. The jerk is unnoticeable only when I do a very slow or very fast acceleration.
I have the same thing and have been noticing it more and more now that its mentioned on these forums. I plan to ask the dealer to update the software if there is one available. If not then I will have to just learn to deal with it.

2017 base AWD
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs1219 View Post
I have the same thing and have been noticing it more and more now that its mentioned on these forums. I plan to ask the dealer to update the software if there is one available. If not then I will have to just learn to deal with it.
I've been dealing with it all the time. Will ask the TSB when my next service is due. Also will wait and see your update.

2017 MDX AWD w/Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSSIPSAIGON View Post
Does this apply even if the warning message isn't shown? How does this smooth out the transmission and does it differ from TSB 15-054? Thanks in advance.

Just back from the dealer for the second time and this is what the tech wrote up:

Felt rough shifting in 2nd gear, perform DTC scan, P2638, U0101-00, U0401-68, able to reset all DTCS, techline advise to reset the check datalist in PGMFI and perform PCM/ECM reset. Perform idle relearn after. Shifting is better now.

Felt the exact same jerking into 2nd all the way back home.

I guess Acura doesn't bother fixing error codes. Why make repairs when you can just reset all the error codes... maybe other car manufacturers will follow suit...

So much for Acura reliability or quality.

Should have kept my 10 year old Lexus....

After you bring it back enough times and have them reset whatever, seems you could pursue a lemon law case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo1978 View Post
Just back from the dealer for the second time and this is what the tech wrote up:

Felt rough shifting in 2nd gear, perform DTC scan, P2638, U0101-00, U0401-68, able to reset all DTCS, techline advise to reset the check datalist in PGMFI and perform PCM/ECM reset. Perform idle relearn after. Shifting is better now.

Felt the exact same jerking into 2nd all the way back home.

I guess Acura doesn't bother fixing error codes. Why make repairs when you can just reset all the error codes... maybe other car manufacturers will follow suit...

So much for Acura reliability or quality.

Should have kept my 10 year old Lexus....
I posted the same exact thing. Wonder whats triggering that code.

2017 base AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethzur View Post
After you bring it back enough times and have them reset whatever, seems you could pursue a lemon law case.
Unfortunately there's no lemon law in Canada. There's only a manufacturer voluntary arbitration process called CAMVAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: