Auto start/stop feature - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015 Thread Starter

Auto start/stop feature

I have a 2016 MDX sh-awd advance with auto start/stop feature. The car has 300 or so miles on it. I was driving down the road and thought I would try the auto/start stop feature. I pushed the control button and noticed a quick hesitation but nothing more. When I came to a stop the engine continued running. The tachometer clearly indicated the engine had not stopped. I tried numerous stops, pushing the button on an then off again but the car would never turn off. Is there something else I need to do to get it working? Unless someone can help me I am going to have to take it back to the dealer. Appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015

I think you are referring to "idle stop" which shuts the car off when coming to a stop. I am pretty sure the default setting is that the feature is "on." When you come to a stop, the dashboard should tell you that in order to engage idle stop and shut off the engine, you should depress the brake pedal even further. To start up again either move your foot off the brake slightly or fully or move the steering wheel. I have the same model as you and have 1100 miles on it. Been working every time i want to engage it. The button on the center console is to turn it off.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying. I didn't know the auto stop was a default item. So now I know it has never worked. The engine had never cut off automatically, ever, I pushed the brake harder when stopping, thinking it might make a difference but it did not. So I will make an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. I hope I can get it in Thursday or Friday.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015

It won't turn on right away if the engine is cold (I've noticed), so if you're just going on very short trips, it might not turn on.

SOLD - 2016 Acura MDX (Graphite Luster) - SH-AWD, Advance
2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design (Passion Red) - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
2016 Cadillac ATS-V (Phantom Grey) - 6MT, Carbon Package, Luxury, RECARO, Suede, Red Brembos
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbranen View Post
Thanks for replying. I didn't know the auto stop was a default item. So now I know it has never worked. The engine had never cut off automatically, ever, I pushed the brake harder when stopping, thinking it might make a difference but it did not. So I will make an appointment with the dealership tomorrow. I hope I can get it in Thursday or Friday.
You may have turned it off by mistake. Check your manual to see if you have to turn it back on.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD Gone.
2017 MDX, ADV SP HYBRID. MODERN STEEL.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan View Post
You may have turned it off by mistake. Check your manual to see if you have to turn it back on.
The setting is not persistent across driving sessions; once you actually turn the car off, the next time you start it the feature is turned back on again.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015

I think the only way you can keep it off is to keep your defroster on lol
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
I think the only way you can keep it off is to keep your defroster on lol
Haha, that's brilliant! I hadn't even thought of doing that. Usually when I don't want it to stop I just have to gingerly press the brake pedal
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015

^^ The above few posters need the OP to report back on what was preventing their auto start/stop from working - then they can apply that 'reverse fix' to theirs to disable the function full time.

Note - I think it's silly to not have a ready way to disable the function full time through a vehicle setting. This is more social engineering for us - trying to force our behavior a certain way whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post
^^ The above few posters need the OP to report back on what was preventing their auto start/stop from working - then they can apply that 'reverse fix' to theirs to disable the function full time.

Note - I think it's silly to not have a ready way to disable the function full time through a vehicle setting. This is more social engineering for us - trying to force our behavior a certain way whether we like it or not.
Agreed. Other manufacturers (I know BMW specifically) started out this way but later models remembered the setting across drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post

The OP said he was hitting the button. In other words he was turning it off. I don't have a 16. I don't know if it's a toggle on/off switch. Or if once you hit it it stays off until you restart the car.
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating. Everything is about mileage ratings these days.

Last edited by elvisfan; 09-09-2015 at 03:09 PM. Reason: More info

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan View Post
The OP said he was hitting the button. In other words he was turning it off. I don't have a 16. I don't know if it's a toggle on/off switch. Or if once you hit it it stays off until you restart the car.
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating. Everything is about mileage ratings these days.
There's an On/Off button right below the shifter. The system always reverts to 'On' when the car is turned on, regardless of whether it was 'Off' when the car was shutdown prior.

If you press the Auto-Start button, the screen between the tach and speedo informs you that the feature is disabled. After a few seconds, that screen goes back to whatever it was before (SH-AWD graphic, MPG display, Oil life, etc.). Also inside the tach there's a small light (similar to a check engine or brake light) that stays lit indicating the feature is deactivated (If I recall, it's am amber A with the arrows above it and a cross through it showing it is crossed-out or deactivated). It's VERY intuitive in regards to the car informing you the system is off. When the engine is auto shut-off, the same logo lights up in Green without the slash through it. All that said, the system is SUPER simple and it's very intuitive and easy to tell if the system is on/off, etc. So the fact that it's so obvious and the OP has issues, does make me think something might not be right with his car.

If the OP has found a way to permanently disable the feature, that might be worthwhile.

I have found that when it is SUPER hot (in Texas), the system is less likely to activate, and when it does, it only stays off for 10-15 seconds before re-firing the engine. I've exhibited at a reasonable length red light that the engine will shut off, turn on, shut off again on its own before the light turns green. Finally, I've also noticed that when the car is first started and the engine is cold, the system almost never activates. Cars warm up fast in Texas Summer, but for the first handful of lights, it generally doesn't work.

In regards to the defroster, interestingly enough, when I use the Engine Remote Start, when I get into my car, I always notice the defrosters are on. Even after starting the car intentionally when I'm about to drive, the defrosters stay on (which is kind of annoying). When it's 100F outside, I don't need my defrosters on, and it doesn't seem to shut off. I understand that the car in the winter should turn the defrosters on, but it'd be nice if the system realized it's 100 degrees and defrosters aren't necessary (or perhaps it uses the defroster to override auto start/stop???). I do assume that like most cars, after 10 or so minutes, the defrosters automatically turn off. I haven't tested that theory as I've only used auto start/stop a handful of times and each time I catch it within a few minutes of driving.

SOLD - 2016 Acura MDX (Graphite Luster) - SH-AWD, Advance
2016 Volvo XC90 R-Design (Passion Red) - Polestar, Convenience, 4C Air Suspension, Bowers & Wilkins, CarPlay
2016 Cadillac ATS-V (Phantom Grey) - 6MT, Carbon Package, Luxury, RECARO, Suede, Red Brembos

Quote:
when I use the Engine Remote Start...
(I don't have the auto start/stop feature since I have a 2014) Aren't the remote start and auto stop almost oxymoronic - i.e. counter to each other in their principal - where the former is purposely designed to have the vehicle running when it doesn't really need to be since no one's in it, and the latter is purposely designed to have the vehicle not run when it somewhat needs to be running since the driver's in it?

I realize the real purpose of the remote start is to warm up or cool down the vehicle prior to entry and the purpose of the auto start/stop is to gain some efficiency during brief transient stopping points but still, consider how the same vehicle has the two , almost opposed, functionalities.

Question - when you do the remote start, how long will it run before it shuts off and does the auto start/stop function have any impact on it or is that only activated when one's foot is on the brake (and stopped for a while)?

Quote:
If they give you a way to permanently disable that function. They can't use it to raise the EPA mileage rating.
I've wondered if that might be the reason for the lack of a setting to disable it but do you know whether what you stated is really a certainty? How do you know that's the case? There's some logic to it until you consider that other vehicles with the same feature have ways to disable it via a setting as stated by a previous poster.

If it's hot,it's logical the engine is not going to stay off long. It could get hot very fast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement