2002 mdx stalls when idling at a red light - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018 Thread Starter

2002 mdx stalls when idling at a red light

2002 mdx 128000 miles, adjusted valves twice, replaced IAC, cleaned complete intake and plenum, new spark plugs, new fuel pump, cleaned egr valve, could check out fine according to Acura dealer. They wanted to charge me 900 for a valve adjustment to start. They pulled p0300-p0306 (random multi misfire to include misfire on all cylinders). Drove from NM to TX and back and went through 4+ quarts of oil but isn't smoking. Not sure what do do next.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018 Thread Starter

I meant to say could check out fine not could.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

What does it sound like running in the driveway. What lights are displayed on the dash if any. Do you have your own OBD2 scanner to pull codes for your self? It sounds asthough it might be a coil pack issue but i would expect check engine light shaw awd syst light to be on also.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

I personally would perform a compression test before spending more money.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

This will get you started and looking in the correct direction!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

Try this again with link: https://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0300
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018

How does it idle before full warmup and how does it idle after being fully warmed up?
I did not see you mentioning the cleaning of the Throttle body & Throttle blade.

To clean the throttle body/plate
1) Park the car and turn off fully
2) turn the ignition to ACC 2 position and place a cargo bar (extendable bar that pickup owners use) to push and hold the gas pedal down. (Move the DR seat forward to wedge the extendable bar between the gas pedal and the seat)
3) remove the air cleaner box and the tubing from the Throttle body.
4) careful not to break any connectors from the MAF sensor
5) you will notice the throttle plate clocked horizontal and a faint buzzing sound
6) use a Throttle body cleaner and a nylon bristly brush to agitate and loosen the built up soot/deposit from the plate edge and throttle body surface.
7) ensure that they are cleaned properly and turn off the vehicle and let it sit for 30 minutes
8) during the 30 minutes of rest, unplug the throttle body harness, spray with an electric terminal cleaner spray (or WD40) and let it sit for 20 minutes
9) apply some dielectric grease on the harness and connect it back to the throttle body
10) put everything together and turn on the vehicle and let it idle back to normal operating temps.

My ridgeline had similar issue and cleaning the TB fixed that issue. it has been problem free for the last 2 months and we drive around 2200 miles a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: