2002 acura mdx - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017 Thread Starter

2002 acura mdx

The gauges don't work, no gas gauge, no rpms, no speedo, no trip computer etc. The lights for it work, just not the gauges themselves. None of the power windows work, the reverse lights do not work and the shifter will not go out of park unless the you use a screw driver to disengage the shift lock. Car drives fine, but it feels like its starting out in 2nd or 3rd gear, but if you push it it will shift up to 3rd or 4th but thats about it. The previous owner had an aftermarket radio installed as well as a compustar alarm/remote starter. Also has hid headlights installed along with led bulbs in all the doors and interior roof lights. Now, I hooked up our obd2 scanner (no engine light since they don't work, only getting a battery light when the key is in the on position, and got 1 code: P1705, something to do with a short in the transmission range switch circuit. So, ordered a new neutral safety switch and installed it with no change. The car is also blowing fuse number 5 in the drivers footwell, which apparently controls the rear wiper and daytime running lights (which dont work either). When the key is turned to the on position before even starting the car, the fuse will blow. Now, my dad is going to drop off the vehicle to our local honda dealer in the morning, but I just wanted to ask on this forum first to see if anyone had any ideas of what it could be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017

I had my battery light come on about a month ago the first time and my dashboard would basically shut off along with gages for one second and turn back on when i would let go of gas and 3 weeks later my dashboard went off wouldn't light up no more 3 miles down my car wasnt accelerating and eventually died it was my alternator and a dead battery i paid 143 for alternator and 122 for battery i had my brother install my alternator for $80 and a 6 pk lol i have a 2001 mdx 151k miles good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter

The gauges don't work, no gas gauge, no rpms, no speedo, no trip computer etc. The lights for it work, just not the gauges themselves. None of the power windows work, the reverse lights do not work and the shifter will not go out of park unless the you use a screw driver to disengage the shift lock. Any ideas

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018

Has anyone figured this out. This is what’s happening to mine now, and I’ve pulled both rear lights and looked for anything that might trigger the short. It only happens when I go into reverse. If I put the car in neutral then replace the fuse, then go to drive, it doesn’t blow the fuse. It’s consistently #9 and everything else works except the dash, windows and the car starts in 2nd and only shifts to 3rd.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018

Rodent damage to the shift position sensor wiring can create shorts. A quick visual inspection will usually show if that is a problem on your vehicle.

Item number 25 on this page: https://www.acuraoemparts.com/auto-p...ver-01-02-scat

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018

I good tip learned from youtube's South Main Auto channel is when presented w/ multiple circuit faults, first attempt to resolve a singe circuit. Frequently same problem is affecting all faulty circuits.

I have attached 03 MDX gauge panel diagram to help. You don't say what year MDX but all are very similar. Confirm fuses, wiring, ground to locate fault.

good luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AcuraMDX03_GaugePanelWiringDiagram.pdf (485.5 KB, 21 views)

2003 Acura MDX w/ Nav
2006 Acura TSX
2010 Acura TSX
1994 Honda Accord
See you down the ROW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement