20 inch rims? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011 Thread Starter

20 inch rims?

Whats up guys.looking to upgrade my 17 inch rims for 20 inch on my 2004 mdx.does anyone know how much it changes the ride comfort and gas millage.i herd the ride is a little rough and millage degrades.thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011

Rides better on 20's the mileage question im curious about myself. Looks dope! :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot.that was my concern at the ride will be good.your x looks sweet.rims sure do change he look.what size tires are you riding on? I was thinking on 275/45/20.once i purchase rims.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011

275 40 20 TOYO Proxes s/t

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011

Rim size is only one factor in fuel economy.

Usually bigger wheels means more weight so your engine is trying harder to turn the wheels/tires to go the same speed so yes your MPG will go down.

However, that is because most people don't consider the weight of the wheels they buy even though IMO it's the most important thing.

For example, those chrome wheels above probably weigh twice as much as the OEM wheels so I can guarantee fuel economy has gone down.

Other factors than weight are the width of the contact patch and the tires' grippiness and tread.
I'll give you an example of how you can do it "right". On my 08 Civic I had OEM 16" wheels that weighed 25 pounds and had all season tires. As an upgrade I went to 18" wheels that were wider and put high performance Z rated tires on. This would lead you to believe that my fuel economy must have gone down because I have a wider contact patch and more friction with the rubber, but my MPG actually didn't suffer because I did my research and found wheels that were only 19 pounds (Motegi SP10).

If you don't care about weight then I can pretty much assure you that if you go from the stock 17" wheel to a 20" wheel that weighs a lot more and carries a wider tire, there is no way you can possibly not end up losing fuel economy.

Do your research and get a light wheel to offset the other factors.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011

^^^Good reply.

Also, if you change the outer diameter of your tires, that can change the accuracy of your gauges (speedometer and odometer), so that it introduces a change into the calculated mileage, aside from any changes in your actual mileage (like Petamocto describes). For example, if you get tires whose outer diameter is X percent greater than (or less than) the outer diameter of the stock tire, your odometer won't know it, so your actual miles driven will be X percent greater than (or less than) the mileage indicated by the odometer with the stock tire size. If your actual miles are greater than (or less than) your indicated miles, your actual mileage is better than (or worse than) your calculated mileage. The difference in your calculated mileage occurs regardless of whether you calculate it yourself from the odometer or you use the trip computer function on the car for the calculation.

Click
to see what phins2rt says.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011 Thread Starter

Thank you for all this helpful info.i will be sure to buy a lighter rim.with the price of gas these days the fuel economy is precious.now the hard part what rim to coose?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
Also, if you change the outer diameter of your tires, that can change the accuracy of your gauges (speedometer and odometer), so that it introduces a change into the calculated mileage, aside from any changes in your actual mileage (like Petamocto describes). For example, if you get tires whose outer diameter is X percent greater than (or less than) the outer diameter of the stock tire, your odometer won't know it, so your actual miles driven will be X percent greater than (or less than) the mileage indicated by the odometer with the stock tire size. If your actual miles are greater than (or less than) your indicated miles, your actual mileage is better than (or worse than) your calculated mileage. The difference in your calculated mileage occurs regardless of whether you calculate it yourself from the odometer or you use the trip computer function on the car for the calculation.
When I mentioned changing the outer diameter of your tires, I was referring to choosing a different tire size, one with a different outer diameter.

There are tire size calculators on the internet (such as this one) in which you can enter various sizes and it will show you the percentage difference in their outer diameters.

Click
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011

Billy,

Tirerack.com will help you a bit because you can select to show them by weight. Unfortunately, about half of them don't have the weight listed which probably means they're so heavy nobody cares.

You can clearly see though the kinds of rims above might be shiny but they weigh a ton, but there are wheels that can be had that still look nice and will save you money.

if you put a 20"s you gonna spend more gas for sure, around 13mpg...

Tl rims
20 inch rims?-mdx1.jpg

20 inch rims?-mdx2.jpg

Thats not bad. I seen a few with those rims. But the rims look smaller than they really are.

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
2004 MDX Touring - Midnight Blue Pearl

There is no way those are 20", if anything they look 16-17".
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011 Thread Starter

I spoke with a local rim dealer.he told me the best 20" rim size would be 20x8.5 with a tire size of 265/45/20.as long as i choose a lightweight rim i should have no or very little gas degrade.only problem is all the lightweight rims arewith tires expensive.il keep surching.thanks for the replys once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyako View Post
only problem is all the lightweight rims arewith tires expensive.
In general, the larger the diameter, the more expensive are the rims AND tires. Not in every case, but usually.

Click
Sponsored Links
Advertisement