Tpms sensors 2010 to 2018 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Tpms sensors 2010 to 2018

I’m putting my winter tires/rims from my 2010 mdx to my 2018 mdx. Do I really need to replace tpms sensors for the system to work? Do you guys think it is necessary. The dealer in Canada want $240 for 4 sensors and then another $250 to install all 4.

Would love to hear thoughts.

Ravina is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Anybody know if the sensors from 2010 will be read by 2018 vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
I'm using my winter tires/rims from my 2010 mdx to my 2018 mdx. Do I really need to replace tpms sensors for the system to work? Do you guys think it is necessary. The dealer in Canada want $240 for 4 sensors and then another $250 to install all 4.

Would love to hear thoughts.
Ravina is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
The dealer in Canada want $240 for 4 sensors and then another $250 to install all 4.
$240 for installing four TPMS sensors when it costs $20 for a tire change per wheel? What dealer is that? Are you sure they quoted you for $240 specifically to install TPMS sensors? That doesn't make sense to me.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
$240 for installing four TPMS sensors when it costs $20 for a tire change per wheel? What dealer is that? Are you sure they quoted you for $240 specifically to install TPMS sensors? That doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, called 3 dealers in in Canada, $60 for sensor and $60 to install for each wheel on my existing rims.
Ravina is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
Yes, called 3 dealers in in Canada, $60 for sensor and $60 to install for each wheel on my existing rims.
That is really weird. I don't remember anyone charging me extra money for TPMS sensor installation on top of the tire change fee. Let me give my Downtown Acura guys a call tomorrow, and I'll get back to you with clarification.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
That is really weird. I don't remember anyone charging me extra money for TPMS sensor installation on top of the tire change fee. Let me give my Downtown Acura guys a call tomorrow, and I'll get back to you with clarification.
Great thanks.
Ravina is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018
Registered User
 
Bluepill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 757
FWIW, I used steel rims for my snow tires on my 2006. I did not use sensors, just regular rubber valve stems. Just got used to looking at the TPMS light all Winter.

That said, I'm not sure if the '18 doesn't disable VSA or SH-AWD when a TPMS system failure is detected.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bluepill is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Just wanted to confirm that there is indeed apparently an installation fee for TPMS sensors, so parts and labour included you are looking at something like CAD $520 tax included for all four wheels.

It seems that when they installed new TPMS sensors for me, they waived that fee because I bought the tires from them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
Just wanted to confirm that there is indeed apparently an installation fee for TPMS sensors, so parts and labour included you are looking at something like CAD $520 tax included for all four wheels.

It seems that when they installed new TPMS sensors for me, they waived that fee because I bought the tires from them.
Crazy, isn't it. I might be better off buying new tires to save on the install fee.
Ravina is offline  
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravina View Post
Crazy, isn't it.
It is! I really don't get what's so complicated in this installation that it takes 30 minutes of technician's time per wheel to do.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 869
Try a tire shop. This is craziness. Acura TPMS sensors require no programming; they are true plug and play, as long as you get the correct OEM sensors for the vehicle.

That price for the sensors is sky-high as well. For my 2019 RDX, I paid a grand total of $138 for the sensors, required nuts and washers, and shipping and handling from half way across the USA.

( Different sensor for 2018 MDX, but I'm seeing about the same price: @29.13 each. )

Any qualified tire shop will be happy to use TPMS sensors you provide them.
Wanderlust is offline  
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Try a tire shop. This is craziness. Acura TPMS sensors require no programming; they are true plug and play, as long as you get the correct OEM sensors for the vehicle.
Acura doesn't charge for programming, they charge for actual physical installation. However I agree that TPMS installation cannot take 30 minutes per wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
That price for the sensors is sky-high as well.
I disagree. They last well over 10 years, so not that expensive.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
Acura doesn't charge for programming, they charge for actual physical installation. However I agree that TPMS installation cannot take 30 minutes per wheel.

I disagree. They last well over 10 years, so not that expensive.
A Bugatti will probably last longer than 10 years. Does that mean it's inexpensive?

Physical installation of TPMS sensors is trivial. What's non-trivial is removing and reinstalling the tire. Unless you happen to work at a tire shop, and then that's trivial as well. They do it dozens (hundreds?) of times a day. Doing 4 tires might take one guy 30 minutes, if he takes a coffee break half way through.
Wanderlust is offline  
Registered User
 
AcuraAddicted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
A Bugatti will probably last longer than 10 years. Does that mean it's inexpensive?
Everything is relative, of course. To me paying less than $20 annually for having TPMS sensors is not significant. Of course, other people might feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
Physical installation of TPMS sensors is trivial.
That's what I don't really understand - where does the installation charge come from?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
AcuraAddicted is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome