New Tire Advice - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter

New Tire Advice

Hey All,

This is my first post.

I drove over a fairly big-sized boulder today morning at speed of approx. 50 MPH. The immediate result was front left tire burst since it took the entire impact. So, here i am in need of tire replacement. I spent the better part of day running from Costco to Walmart in search of right tire however something seemed off and I held off the purchase. I have few questions which no one could answer specifically, hence here I am to the elite MDXers forum in search of answers. Here are my questions. Will greatly appreciate any advice.

1. The stock tire size is 235/65R/17 with Michelin Latitude Tour. Can I upsize to 245/65R/17? I know that a variance of + / - 3% is tolerable. Up-sizing to 245/65R/17 adds a variance of 1.7% increasing the diameter from 29.027 inches to 29.539. Is this acceptable or the AWD system may throw errors? What could be any other impact?

1. In terms of brand, I currently have the stock Michelin Latitude Tour on. I believe these have been discontinued and like replacement is pretty expensive at nearly $ 220 per tire. I got quote from Costco for Michelin premier tires $778 and Bridgestone at $ 710. I would prefer something at or under $ 500. Are there any good choices at that price point? I can wait 3 - 4 days hence online ordering is an option on the table.

1. I have heard differing opinions on whether one can replace only two tires versus the need to replace all 4 tires. Some mechanics feel replacing two is fine as long as same size is maintained (235/65R/17) whereas the Costco mechanics told me that they are going to report my car as non-compliant if I replace only two tires (whatever that means!). Does it make a difference if I choose to replace only two tires and place the newer tires at front?

This is my first post, hence any advice will be greatly appreciated. Answer to similar questions may been posted already, if thats the case, please excuse and point me in the right direction.

- R

Its better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: