255/55/19 on 2014 Tech - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018 Thread Starter
CNJ

255/55/19 on 2014 Tech

Just thinking of moving up one size. The previous gen had 255's and the 245's look a bit wimpy. I realize there may be a slight penalty in MPG but thinking its only 0.4" larger in diameter and *2lbs heavier (ex. Latitude tour HP) maybe 1mpg? *We tow a 3500lb trailer occasionally plus lots of gear so the heavier load rating (111 vs 104) is a plus. We will be putting on a new set this fall and it looks like most of the same tires come in that size also. Thoughts? Anyone else sporting that size?

2014 Gray MDX Tech SH-AWD - wifes
2011 Tacoma DC TRD OR 4X4 - mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018

I think the narrower tires have to do with Acura looking for every bit of MPG they could find..the 2nd gen isn’t known for fuel economy..

2002 MDX 227K miles.. Silver/Black
2011 MDX Tech 125K Miles Palladium/Taupe
2003 BMW Z4 3.0 55K Miles 6 Speed Titan Silver/Dream Red
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018

255s should be fine. For my last set of tires on 3rd-gen Pilot I ran 255/50R20's rather than stock 245/50R20, so I could use Michelin Defender LTX's that aren't available in the stock size. No issues.

I recently put 245/55R19 Defender LTXs on our 2014 MDX, to replace the stock Contis. The Defenders "sing" on some grooved pavement, but otherwise seem fine. And they look less "wimpy" even in the stock size.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018 Thread Starter
CNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
255s should be fine. For my last set of tires on 3rd-gen Pilot I ran 255/50R20's rather than stock 245/50R20, so I could use Michelin Defender LTX's that aren't available in the stock size. No issues.

I recently put 245/55R19 Defender LTXs on our 2014 MDX, to replace the stock Contis. The Defenders "sing" on some grooved pavement, but otherwise seem fine. And they look less "wimpy" even in the stock size.
Good to know thanks. I'll be contemplating it for a while, just think for our intended use it may be the better choice. Looking at the Premier LTX it's the 2 highest rated tire in its class, better that the Latitude Tour HP or Conti CCLX per tirerack.com. The defender LTX isn't available in that size, so may go with the Premier LTX if I decide to go with the 255/55/19. If I go stock size than will consider Defender for sure Thanks.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018 Thread Starter
CNJ

Anybody running the M Premier LTX? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set in said size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: