Michelin Latitude Tour HP Tire Worn Out after 33K - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter

Michelin Latitude Tour HP Tire Worn Out after 33K

Hi everyone,

I just had my end of lease pre-inspection done and in the report I saw that one of 4 tires was worn at 3/32" thread depth left after only 33K miles.
All are original Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires, which I believe have 55K thread life warranty. I'm returning the vehicle next Monday and I don't particularly care as $200 charge for replacement tire should be absorbed by a $750 allowance on lease return.

I'm just curious how does the thread life warranty work? Does anyone have experience submitting a claim to Michelin and getting a replacement tire? Or this can be ignored as the fine print will make it nearly impossible.

Thoughts? Comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018

Garage
What speed rating are your tires? Probably H or V? If so, they would normally have a 55k treadwear warranty.

You mentioned one tire was at 3/32"... But what are the other tires at?

It's probable that Michelin would try to avoid warranty replacement on the grounds that your tires did not wear evenly, and therefore the wear was accelerated due to either mis-alignment, inadequate/improper rotation, or inflation -- all are excluded from the Michelin treadwear warranty.

If they had worn evenly, you'd have a better case. But as it is, I don't think you have much to pursue. If Acura is willing to waive tires under their lease damage waiver, and your don't need that money to cover other issues, then I'd just turn it in and wipe your hands of the matter.

Did the inspector provide you a report confirming that Acura would allow the tire under the damage waiver? I've never leased an Acura but I have leased other brands (Honda/GMC/Nissan/Toyota). It's been my experience that tires are typically not allowed under damage waivers... But if Acura is allowing it then that is an awesome perk and I applaud them.

I'm not sure what you're planning on replacing your MDX with... But if you decide to lease another Acura I believe they'll double your damage waiver up to $1500 and you can roll-over any unused mileage allowance to your new lease.

https://www.michelinman.com/img/stor...nties_2016.pdf

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
You mentioned one tire was at 3/32"... But what are the other tires at?
I replaced one tire under Tire & Wheel Protection package I purchased when I leased my 15, so it paid for itself. Naturally, that tire has 8/32". Tires did not wear evenly, so yes, I figure you need to drive like a saint and keep all the records to even consider claiming a warranty replacement. Scratch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Did the inspector provide you a report confirming that Acura would allow the tire under the damage waiver? I've never leased an Acura but I have leased other brands (Honda/GMC/Nissan/Toyota). It's been my experience that tires are typically not allowed under damage waivers... But if Acura is allowing it then that is an awesome perk and I applaud them.
Acura hires third party inspectors so the report is unbiased and at the same time inspector could not provide any guidance about Acura's damage waiver. Report simply states the damage on the vehicle (minor scratches consistent with 3 years ownership, no dings or dents). Worn out tire was a bit of a surprise, but not a shock. I used to lease longer than 3 years and would replace tires around 30,000 for safety reasons.

This is my 4th lease with Acura and previously I swapped into next, so indeed damage waiver up to $1500 covered any excess damages and end bill was $0.

This time, I'm getting a Volvo XC90. Current 18 is not that much of improvement over 15, besides I dislike push button shifter, among a few other things, like Acura's gimmicks about packages (I want Advance, but I need 7 seats. The only way to get that configuration is to bump up to Entertainment package. In 2015, it was forced onto Advance, so I consider I got it at no extra cost).

I'm also returning vehicle under the mileage allowance, so I'm hoping I will be able to negotiate a 0 cost return of the vehicle. Loyalty goes both ways, so we'll see if Acura still wants to consider me a return customer in the long term, but this would be another topic.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: