2006 MDX misfire problem - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Unread 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Hi
I have 2006 MDX with 250K km and am getting engine light . Some time VTM4 also comes. Codes are P0300, P0302, P0303, P305
I have changed all spark plugs and checked all coils. All coils resistance are similar means they are good. My mileage is also decreased. What next I should check
Your help is appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Valve adjustment if not done in the previous 100K miles.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I had replaced air filter, cleaned throttle air intake and EGR valve. Idle RPM has decreased to 700-800. It ran smoother initially and next day I got CEL and VTM4 lights. Codes were P0302, P0303, P305, P301 and P0300.
What next I should do.
I purchase this vehicle in 2010 with 91K km and now it has 250K km. Spark plugs were replaced before 4 months due to CEL. CEL comes and go since 8-10 months.

Got mine back from the garage. We changed the Coil pack 5 and 6 to fix it. My trouble was on low idle the car was vibrating....
You can check the coil pack by unplug it one by one and see if it make it worst (in this case the coil pack is good) or if it doesnt do anything to your engine, plan to change the coil.
Mine was 350K km.

My OBD scanner read multi missfire P00300 - 301 to 306 but it was finaly just the 305-306 that was causing all the missfire everywhere

It is good that you checked the coil resistance however you should pull the rubber boots on the ends and inspect them for any " cracks or Holes/burn marks" that will cause the random misfire code P0300. cylinder 2.3.5 are showing as the culprits so clear the previous scan codes and switch the coils 1.4,6 that are supposedly working with coils 2.3,5 and see if the cylinder codes change at all? This will narrow things down for you and confirm that coils are truly NOT the issue.

Failing that, it could be a number of other issues but i would look at your EGR valve as a real possibility as it is easy to remove and check that it is not plugged or stuck open. It could be that the exhaust valves gaps are to tight as they move over time and can cause the misfire code. I cant see three fuel injectors going out at once unless it was bad gas but than i would expect all to go out if that was the case? If Oxygen sensor i would expect a whole bank to go out and you do not have that.

Could be a catalytic converter issue if your vehicle has been consuming oil for a period of time or if you have not been using premium gas for a period of time!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I checked resistance of all coils. They are similar. See attachment. I cleaned EGR valve, throttle and replaced air filter. All spark plugs replace before 6 months ago
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA797CBE-9142-4450-BAC5-A4513110C69C_1556141717007.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	109556  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I always use premium gas

good on you , now switch out the coil packs as mentioned and report what error codes you get!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Ok
I will change coils and let you know
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I did following change on Friday and got CEL again on Sunday

Coil change
2-6
3-4
5-1

Before
P0302, P0303, P0305, P0300

After
P0301, P0302, P0304, P0305, P0300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Valve adjustment if not done in the previous 100K miles.
I repeat.

If valves are tight and not adjusted, you can burn the valves and spend big bucks to replace them.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you for switching the coil packs. Obviously not ideal outcome so i would move forward with Blue Pills suggestion of going after valve adjustment as there are definitely multiple misfires. It is something you can do yourself , just take your time, and with the mileage on vehicle it is past due.

If it clears up some cylinder misfire codes than you know your on the correct track.

check list to cover.
https://themotorguy.com/p0300/
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Unread 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. I ran engine idle and checked exhaust. I hear patt-patt sound at right exhaust

Here is a guide that might help you a little more in determining misfire. The temperature test is a good starting point that will assist in determining which cylinders to go after first! You can do compression test, read spark plugs, test fuel injectors harness and injector. If you hear misfire through right exhaust than you can put your efforts into those cylinders and hopefully temp test confirms it for you! You might want to test the cat temps on that side while you are at it. Now DO NOT consider this a full proof test of a bad cat but it can assist along with a proper bi-direction OBD scanner if you have one to determine high probality. (These scanners can save you a lot of money and will easily pay for themselves in their first use if not couple uses) I will include a vid for cat test.

I still believe the valves should be adjusted, but there are checks you can do to rule out other possibilities.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/en...-or-runs-rough

Also adding this as has additional info that might assist.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0300_acura.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement