My 2012 MDX is burning oil, any others? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

My 2012 MDX is burning oil, any others?

Sorry to make my first post like this but I'm trying to figure out if I'm the only one having this problem. I did a search and the threads I saw, the problem wasn't as bad as mine. I found some similar issues back with 2008 models.

My 2012 MDX is using 2 to 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. I took it to the dealer, they did a leak test(it passed) and they told me to return in 1000 miles to have the oil checked. I did what they asked and 1000 miles later the car had used a 1/2 quart of oil. The dealer says they cant do any thing about it because Acura's spec is 1 quart per 1000 miles. The dealer says depending on how we drive we can go up to 9000 miles between oil changes? That would be burning twice the oil the car holds between oil changes. How can this not be a warranty concern? I have called Acrua and the first two people seemed to want to help, the last lady could only say the spec is 1000 miles and nothing can be done. I guess I expect a little more from $40,000 car, my 1 ton Cummins Diesel burns less than 1/2 quart every 5000 miles and it has 110,000 miles on it. The dealer did say I could keep bringing the car back every 1000 miles to have it checked but living 50 miles from the dealer and putting 80-90 miles on the car daily, thats not really an option. I have 39,000 miles on the car and I'm starting to worry about what happens when I lose my warranty. Anyone else having a similar problem or have any ideas on how to keep pushing this with Acrua? I'm waiting on the district managers manager to call me now but I'm not optimistic that he will have anything positive to say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Seems like there was a post around here awhile back similar to this. They eventually found the cause and ended up getting a new engine. You might want to search again...it was maybe six months ago? Guessing.

It's certainly not common. Mine burns no measurable oil at roughly 8k intervals. 38k miles on it.

Even my '01 MDX at more than 170K miles does not burn any oil between oil changes. Something very wrong is going on here. Look under the car to see if you have oil dripping from the engine.

Here is the link Skinny2 is probably referring to: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/14-prob...-2007-mdx.html

2001 MDX

post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

Thanks for the replies so far, I'm glad someone else seems to think this is a problem. Acura Client Services or at least the last lady seems to think it’s no big deal. This has been super frustrating; I bought this car new because I wanted my wife to have a car that wouldn't give her problems while I was on the road traveling for work. I guess that plan didn't work out.
I'm 100% positive the car isn't leaking oil; we have an epoxy garage floor and its clean every day when she leaves. The first guy I talked to at Acura said that the 1000 mile spec was because they have found if they go looking for a problem before it gets that bad it's harder for them to locate the problem. He made it sound like Acura Client Services could authorize a repair but apparently his co-worker doesn't agree. This is my families 3rd Honda vehicle and the first one that we have had problems with but as much as we like the car and have even looked into getting a 14, without a resolution from Honda/Acura I don't think I can comfortably buy another one. >>

Garage
Is the the oil problem covered by the 6/70,000 powertrain warranty? You still might have time to wait and see before time/mileage runs out. If the oil is not leaking on the ground, it must be going out the exhaust. Not sure how many problems this will cause with mpgs, HP, emissions (fouled up CAT), and spark plugs down the road? You could have a very dirty piston cylinders and fouled up spark plugs down the road. Upside is you will have a well lubricated engine since you are adding so much new oil between M.I.D. changes.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone

Here's the one I was talking about: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...nsumption.html
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
Here's the one I was talking about: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007...nsumption.html
Thanks, I actually wish the problem was worse and would throw a code, foul a plug or something. I know there's a problem; I just don't know how to convince them it needs to be fixed. I feel guilty selling the car privately knowing there is an oil consumption problem but I don't really want to trade it in on another one either. I'm at the point of ownership that I'm going to lose money if I get rid of it now but I need to dump it before itís out of warranty.
If you drive more than about 2000 miles without adding oil the oil light comes on everytime you turn a corner. I felt like an idiot the first time we noticed it about 2 hours from home. I ended up outside in the gas station parking lot pouring oil in that I bought inside. There was a guy in a '75 El Caminio doing the same thing beside me, somehow I think he got the better deal on his car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG View Post
Thanks, I actually wish the problem was worse and would throw a code, foul a plug or something.
Well it's worth noting in the previous thread that it didn't start out by throwing a code either. You're also at a much higher mileage so it's possible the problem is just not as severe on yours.

It might be worth investigating the plugs and valves to see if anything is out of spec. Even if you had to pay for that inspection initially, I would consider it. If you have to sell/trade this prematurely you're going to take a financial bath so it might be worth it to spend a little. You have quite a few miles before the powertrain warranty is up (which is what would cover this) so I wouldn't do anything before that. A quart of oil every 1k isn't going to break the bank. I'd use the cheap stuff!

How's your mpg? We hit 21-22mpg on highway trips pretty easily with 4-pax and stuff.

I can certainly understand how oil consumption would be distressing to you given how much you spent on a new car, from Acura no less, and reasonably expecting it to be perfect from the factory. From an engineering perspective, if the oil burning is simply from slightly loose piston rings(but within spec), there are really no problems caused by the oil consumption other than the time you now need to invest to make sure the oil is topped up on a regular basis. Acura's policy is pretty much the same as the policies from other manufacturers in this regard.

Did you buy the car new? Has it consumed oil from day 1? When did it start consuming oil?
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

I did buy the car new, it had 50 miles on it when I bought it. I noticed the oil consumption at about 20,000 miles. I thought originally when the oil was changed maybe they didn't get it full. I had it changed and made sure they put the required 4.5 quarts and I verified that it was full before I left. Half way through that oil change interval is when the gas station episode took place.( should have been watching the oil closer but I dismissed the problem as a tech not filling the car completely, after all, this is a new car it can't be burning oil) I added a quart, went home added another quart and then the car was fullish of oil again. I drove it until the oil was at about 30% then took it in to have teh oil changed. I asked the tech to measure what came out, he reported only about 2 1/2 quarts came out. Car was filled and taken to the dealer the next week for inspection. They checked everything, filled the oil level and I came back a 1000 miles later. Thats when they told me it was buring a half quart every 1000 miles and there was nothing they could do and when I started working with Acrua Client Services for a resolution.
I know that engines can burn oil and run, but I do think that there can be a bigger problem than just a loose rig and if its worsening, I'd rather my wife not have a major problem when I'm out of town and my truck is at the airport.

Quote:
Half way through that oil change interval is when the gas station episode took place.( should have been watching the oil closer but I dismissed the problem as a tech not filling the car completely, after all, this is a new car it can't be burning oil) I added a quart, went home added another quart and then the car was fullish of oil again.
I'm confused. Are you saying that you were driving around with your oil two quarts down - in other words, that it wasn't until you added two quarts of oil that the oil level was back at the top mark on the dipstick? If so, I wonder whether driving the car with the oil level that low caused the increased rate of oil consumption.

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to see what phins2rt says.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

Yeah, the car doesn't tell you when it's a quart low, the first sign of a problem is when the oil light starts coming on around corners. That happens at more than a quart low. Like I said, I should have checked it more often but having never experienced oil consumption on any vehicle this severe, especially not on a new honda product I dismissed the low oil as it not being filled correctly at the last oil change.

I really can't see how oil consumption would increase as the oil level drops but if someone can support that theory I'm all ears.

Quote:
I really can't see how oil consumption would increase as the oil level drops but if someone can support that theory I'm all ears.
It certainly can increase the oil burn as the level drops because the oil starvation will just increase heat and decrease lubrication. Which in turns burns more oil.

If it maintains the loss of 1/2 quart per 1,000 it may ever be an issue. But I think as was mentioned elsewhere, Honda's and most manufacturers use the standard of 1qt/1,000 miles because when it goes above that you can likely diagnose what's causing the usage.

Quote:
Yeah, the car doesn't tell you when it's a quart low, the first sign of a problem is when the oil light starts coming on around corners. That happens at more than a quart low.
If you were down two quarts and the car was using a quart every 2,000 miles, that means you didn't check the oil level for 4,000 miles. That's a big no-no on any car.

Click
to see what phins2rt says.
post #15 of 142 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014 Thread Starter
JHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxtasy View Post
If you were down two quarts and the car was using a quart every 2,000 miles, that means you didn't check the oil level for 4,000 miles. That's a big no-no on any car.
Might be going out on a limb here but I suspect that the majority of people that own a vehicle with less than 30,000 miles on it don't check the oil between regular oil changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: