Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

PCV Valve broke off

14K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  tron3107 
#1 ·
This late evening about 6pm, I decided to replace the pcv valve. I thought it was a 15 minutes job. MF! The blue section broken off. I was gentle as I possibly could, but jeez...

I tried the 7/16-14 bolt method but it is too small. I will try 1/2 tap tomorrow, I believe it is still won't work because the remaining piece is spinning.

Ah...15 minutes job turns into massive top cover removal.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
same thing happened to me three week ago, i used a 5/16 24 tap screwed in like butter, the taps u are using are way too big, before i installed the new one i tapped it with the 5/16 24 tap and screwed a 5/16 24 bolt into it and left it there and then installed it so the bolt is already there for the next time i replace it

#31 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I just finished breaking my PCV valve in a 2007 MDX. I managed to get most of it out but there is a small piece approximately 1 inch by about 1/2 inch that might still be trapped within the "valve cover". After seeing the picture posted by nzone (shown below), I don't think the piece can fit through the holes in the "baffle plate", so I plan on leaving the piece in place until I must remove the "valve covers for some other reason.

I have replaced the PCV with a new one, and it seated properly, and all is well with the new one.

Does this sound like a reasonable risk, or is it way too risky?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this PCV situation. I wish I would have read all the problems associated with PCV removal before I started. I would definitely have put a lag bolt into the old PCV and pulled on that instead of pulling on the blue piece of the PCV.

Regards

Jim

#8 ·
Hit a snag after went through all the trouble to remove the valve cover. Honda engineer decided that it was best to install a plate.

Finally was able to pull it out using a lag bolt from the rear shock absorber. It took a very good effort to remove it with a plier. That little blue pin...hmmm.

#9 ·
Congratulations on the removal.

When I replaced mine, it broke too. I used an old screw extractor which is conical with strong bite in the plastic. It was an easy turn and pull for me without removing the valve cover.

#10 ·
Thanks. It was a big relief. I thought I had to buy a new head cover. This is the second time I replaced pcv valve on this mdx. The first time was effortless and trouble free.

Oh look another problem, the air intake tube was so brittle that a little wiggle and it got ripped open. Duct tape to the rescue.

Just for curious, I popped up my 06 Odyssey; and the air intake tube was ripped open. Hmm I have been driving with no filter.

#16 ·
Oh, thanks. What is the part number? This is unbelievable! I replaced one for a 20 year old Toyota and the OEM price was almost $90. I am very happy that Acura charges a very friendly amount!

#18 ·
What is the best way to prevent PCV from snapping off when removing it? Slowly wiggle it and spry some penetrating oil?

When I replaced mine at 78k miles it was easily came off without any problem but I want to prepare for the worst case if it stuck and seizes. And how often the PCV valve needs to be replaced? I have 50k miles since it was last replaced.

Worst case: if you broke the PCV and you can’t extract it out from the valve cover can you just leave it there and just install a new one? Will the broken piece inside the valve cover suck into the valve train?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I think the best was to find some tool to grip the black section and pull. But it will be hard though because applying pressure to grip it may crack it. You could also screw in a self-tapping bolt through the hole, then pull. Then again, this method has a problem too. The blue section is only fused or glued down at the tip. In my case, the blue section was dislodged leaving the black piece behind.

If it broke and you cannot take it out, your only option is a new head cover. Honda has a plate inside the head cover that protects the pcv valve and holes routing. You cannot remove this plate as it is riveted down. The broken piece must removed before new pcv can go in.

To check if pcv needs replacement, remove one end of pcv hose that goes into the manifold. If it is stained with reddish brown or oily, pcv may stuck open. Replace. The manual instructs to pinch this hose and use a stethoscope to listen for clicking. No click, replace. Or in my case, the first replacement was stuck open while the 2nd replacement seemed stuck closed.

Have these handy LOL.
1. The metal collar. This may lost during removal. I still have not found the blue piece or this collar. Also a flat head driver.
2. New head cover standby. If broke and you could not remove, the only option. Then you need items below.
3. Intake manifold gasket bottom and upper.
4. Head cover gasket.
5. Honda bond
6. Spark plug seals optional.

#21 ·
just do what i did when installing a new one , before u install it tap it with a 5/16 24 tap and install a 5/16 24 short bolt in it and leave it there and install it that way so the next time you go to replace it the bolt will all ready be there to pull on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.