Advance owners who switched from ADS to Tech shocks - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Advance owners who switched from ADS to Tech shocks

Advance owners who switched from ADS to Tech shocks, how is the ride quality different? Pros/cons?

Old - 04 MDX RRP/S Touring with Navi with various accessories

New - 12 MDX Advance CBP/Ebony, silver roof rack with crossbars, towing package, Advance running boards, back up sensors, BSM, window tint, Acura remote starter and full size spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbrwolf9 View Post
Advance owners who switched from ADS to Tech shocks, how is the ride quality different? Pros/cons?
Life expectancy:

Some ads owners claim an ads life span of 35,000 miles, before needing replaced.
Some say longer, but eventually they will need replaced at nearly $4,000 just for parts.

Where I'm coming from:

In 2015, I bought my 2007 mdx Sport and I switched over to non-ads within 6 months, for $700 (shipped). At that time I didn't know what good ads shocks felt like and didn't care, because of the price. I did the swap, myself.

After riding on my non-ads, for nine months (2-20-2016 thru 11-25-2016), Acura extended their ads warranty, so I put the busted ads shocks back on. Acura replaced all four and I used them (the ads) for 10 months. I worried about the effect of cold weather, pot holes, and bumps on my new ads shocks. I put the non-ads back on, even though the ads shocks were fine.

What you asked about:

The ads shocks took the edge off of a sudden jar and resulted in a floatier feel. I don't drive fast thru turns, but I've heard that they (ads) feel sportier under hard acceleration in turns. I wonder how much the larger sway bars help reduce roll vs the ads doing its job?

Resale:

The resale value of a 2007 Sport (ads) mdx vs a 2007 base mdx is only $300-400. So, if I sell my Sport with non-ads shocks for the price of a Base Model, I'm not out as much as if I would have spent ads replacement money.

Unless you lease and plan not to have the car after the warranty expires, replacing ads shocks isn't worth the cost.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 9 Minutes Ago Thread Starter

If you don't install the resistors, I understand the warning light will stay on the dash, but does it periodically make any kind of warning beep or any other sounds while driving (like the TPMS does)? Or is it just a warning light/msg like the maintenance reminder where you can clear it from the MID and just have a smaller light light up.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement