Keep getting CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Keep getting CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM

Is this an indication of bad alternator or battery? Just for your information. I have had whinny sound from the ps pump and alternator area for the past 2 week (on and off) and today I have CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

That's probably a bad battery. If not, the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Before you replace anything, check the battery and alternator output with a voltmeter or have an autoparts store check it for free. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

2017 Civic Type R
2012 MDX Tech
2004 TSX Base
1997 240SX SE
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiddweller View Post
That's probably a bad battery. If not, the voltage regulator on the alternator.

Before you replace anything, check the battery and alternator output with a voltmeter or have an autoparts store check it for free. That will tell you everything you need to know.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My battery is only 2 years old.
I just noticed the BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM come on only when I came to stop and it goes off when the car is moving up to speed again. Could it be the serpentine belt is worn out because I have had a whinny sound on/off about 2 weeks ago.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

bet your alternator bit the dust, just did mine saturday took 2 hrs,
and if you have a auto store check it good luck cuz most of them dont know too much
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Ok. Here is a video I just took when measuring the voltage.
12.87 V when engine off
14.05 V when engine idle
14.15 V when engine is rev up

And saw the BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM came during this measurement.

Other bit of info, the serpentine belt is 48,000 mile old (replaced on 6/2017)

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

When I lived in Tampa, 2 years was all I could get out of a battery.

Generally speaking, those numbers look good.

If the belt was slipping, you would be underdriving the generator/alternator and the output on the voltage regulator would increase to keep the battery charged. If you see a spike right after starting the motor, it may be the regulator making up for the loose belt, but that's speculation.

To rule out the belt, check the deflection on the belt to be sure it's in spec and look for cracks on the ribs.

If everything looks good, the alternator will need to be removed and tested.

There's a small chance it could be a slowly failing relay, fuse, or starter.

2017 Civic Type R
2012 MDX Tech
2004 TSX Base
1997 240SX SE
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

You also mentioned a whining sound. That's usually the power steering pump, but not always.

See if you can locate the sound. If you're having trouble, Harbor Freight sells a cheap Mechanic's Stethoscope for $4. It's worth every cent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adfasdfasdfasdfasfdasfasdfasfasfd.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	109684  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

Those readings are good. I wonder if u are having intermittent alternator failure??
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago

FYI:

Bad diodes in the alternator can cause a whining sound. It usually gets louder as you add loads. Turn on the rear window defogger and the headlights on high. If the noise gets louder, that points towards the alternator. Also recheck the voltage at the battery again under this condition.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by houg View Post
Those readings are good. I wonder if u are having intermittent alternator failure??

This is the first time I have this warning after some weird whinny noise that happened about a week ago. The weird part is the warning came on during idle or at a stoplights and it went away while driving. I will probably try do replace the drive belt first. It is 48k miles old.

I noticed also a few time the whinny noise came on after I floored the cars to 5k-6k RPM. I had been flooring the car for the past 3-4 week, 2-3x a day, maybe that caused the alternator diode to go bad?

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
FYI:

Bad diodes in the alternator can cause a whining sound. It usually gets louder as you add loads. Turn on the rear window defogger and the headlights on high. If the noise gets louder, that points towards the alternator. Also recheck the voltage at the battery again under this condition.

I will try that.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter

After doing some searching on this forum it looks like my alternator is on its way out pretty soon. Should I buy this from Amazon ($195 no core charge) or pay $500 from Acura? NAPA price is $250 plus $85 core charge.

Do you mean this one? https://amzn.to/2VFWMHT

It looks like it fits the 2011 model. It says remanufactured, which explains the price. It's sold by Denso, so there is some credibility to its quality. I would probably go with this one.

If you want to buy the new one, you can get one for $430 at OEMACURAPARTS or a similar website:
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...so-31100rgwa01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!

Denso is the OEM Supplier, If that is DENSO actual Remano then yes by all means go for it...

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...

When I experienced whining under the hood I initially thought it was the power steering pump, but the noise turned out to be coming from the alternator. I took it to an auto electric shop and they confirmed it was a bad diode in the alternator. The strange thing was that when checked with a voltmeter, the numbers were good. I pulled the alternator and the shop replaced the rectifier and checked everything else over and charged me $85.

2008 MDX Base, Aspen White Pearl
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible
2008 BMW 328i Convertible
2009 Dodge Journey SXT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement