Help needed-towing - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Help needed-towing

I really need some help. I have a 2012 MDX. I want to add towing. I am going to have uhual add the following (along with wiring, etc):

U-Haul: 2012 Acura MDX trailer hitch components

Hitch
$234.95
Hitch type
Class 3 hitch
Max weight: 4,000 lbs., Max distribution weight: 5,000 lbs.
Manufacturer Part Number: 75614
Part number: 78217

The trailer I’m looking at is 2006 Starcraft Camper Pop-Up model 2106. I believe gross weight is 2090 if google is accurate. With add ons, a car full of passengers and belongings, etc is that still a good fit?

Sorry, new to all of this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

I should add that I’ve ready through many of these posts and there’s mention of adding a cooler though some posts say it’s not needed. So I’m completely confused. And my MDX is AWD.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

Just double check to make sure there is an external transmission cooler and you are good to go as that trailer, especially with it's low profile, is well below the tow rating. My '07 has an external trans cooler and I believe it was factory installed as there has never been a hitch on the car, but just to make sure double check. It also would be well advised to make sure your trans fluid service is up to date. If not I would do a 3X drain and fill with OEM fluid or a high quality alternative. I've been using Valvoline MaxLife in my Odyssey for over 100K and it's been better than OEM. Once the trans fluid is up to date I would do the 3X drain and fill annually if you are towing with any regularity.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

Most people towing a boat/trailer/car understand that having a flat tire will be a problem.

When you change the "full sized flat tire" and install the "under sized donut"...the donut is not rated to handle the hitch's tongue load/weight, of the boat/trailer/car. The donut is not rated to hold the weight of the engine, up front, either.

So, when not towing, it is never advisable to use the donut on the front of the car, because the weight of the engine. You are supposed to move a good "full sized tire" from the rear to the front and use the donut on the rear where there is less weight.

You should have a "full sized spare tire" available when towing and the ONLY hitch that allows a full sized spare to be stored is OEM # 08L92-STX-200

After market hitches are too "V" shaped, as compared to the OEM "U" shape, to fit a full sized tire.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpayment4life View Post
So, when not towing, it is never advisable to use the donut on the front of the car, because the weight of the engine. You are supposed to move a good "full sized tire" from the rear to the front and use the donut on the rear where there is less weight.
This I have never heard of.

Just had a look through my owners manual and no mention at all where the spare should be mounted. The pictures even show it being mounted on the front.

I had to check as I have put my spare on the front but then I do not have far to go to drop off the flat or to work.

2009 CDN Tech Package
HFL Delete
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

You really should buy a full-size spare if you are towing - IIRC the space-savers are specifically not to be used with the extra load of a tow. I have a G3 so can't comment on the fit of the spare with a non-OEM hitch, but if that is the case then it is a no-brainer. If like the G3 it mounts behind the bumper fascia then by all means get it; it not only looks better but it has a higher ground clearance. Also just pony up for the OEM wiring harness as it is a very easy install. If you are trying to save money then buy the OEM parts online (e.g. oemacuraparts.com) and have uHaul or other to do the install if you don't do mechanical. OEM wheels are available on the internet as well, often remanufactured, and should cost less than half the OEM price.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

My 2 cents:

Check your owner's manual on towing weights and trans. cooler. Both my Gen 1 and Gen 3 are rated for 3500 lbs. max without a cooler and up to 5000 lbs. with the factory cooler.

I towed my A-Frame trailer (3000 lbs. loaded) for over 15000 miles with no cooler and no problems.

When I upgraded to a 4500 Lb. trailer I added the cooler.

In any case, I change the trans. fluid after every towing season.

Look around the inside of the trailer for a weight tag like this:

It does nor include the weight of any batteries or propane tanks on the trailer.

On the road, I stop about every hour to stretch and walk a bit. At that time I use an infrared thermometer to check the tire temperatures. If there is more than a few degrees temp. variation, I check pressures.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

I have a 2011 and the transmission cooler was a standard feature. Rated at 5000 lbs and 500 on the receiving hitch. We tow a 25 5200lb dry weight Airstream but had reinforcement to our receiving hitch. Our hitch weight is closer to 1000 lbs. Hensley arrow hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago

So do we need to install the ATC and PSC ? I am going to be pulling the Uhaul Cargo trailer. Doing a cross country move.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeyu View Post
So do we need to install the ATC and PSC ? I am going to be pulling the Uhaul Cargo trailer. Doing a cross country move.
@keeyu,
what year MDX?

2009 CDN Tech Package
HFL Delete

I'd definitely recommend the factory hitch. This will enable to store and carry a full size spare. I believe the 2012 doesn't require changing the bumper trim to install the hitch. The 2007-2009s require changing the bumper trim or having it cut.

For a full size spare, the easy route is to buy a used (cosmetically blemished but structurally sound) OEM wheel on ebay and have a low cost new tire mounted and balanced on it. Or if you are due for new tires, save the best of the 4 coming off and have it installed on that used wheel.

Quote:

Quote:

What size of U-Haul and what is the tongue weight and yes what year is your MDX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement