2008 MDX Fluid Change - Seeking confirmation - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By skirmich
  • 1 Post By qqzj
  • 1 Post By delirium330

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019 Thread Starter

2008 MDX Fluid Change - Seeking confirmation

Hey folks. Planning on replacing some fluids and looking for confirmation on part numbers. I know there's been a few threads on this already but found some inconsistencies so wanted to double check.
This is for a 2008.
The 2 I'm not too quite sure of is the ATF and Rear Diff.

1. Automatic Transmission - Per the service manual, it mentions ATF-Z1 (PN 08200-9001A). I understand this has been replaced by ATF-DW1 (PN 08200-9008A).
Will also replace the washers (Drain Plug Crush Washer, 18mm, PN 90471-PX4-000 and Fill Plug Crush Washer, 24mm PN 90441-PK4-000)

2. Rear Diff - Per the service manual, it also references ATF-Z1 (PN 08200-9001A). I understand that this is now DPSF (PN 08200-9007a)
Will also replace the washers (Drain Plug Crush Washer, 18mm, PN 90471-PX4-000 and Fill Plug Crush Washer, 20mm PN 94109-20000)

3. Transfer Case/Assembly - any SAE 80W-90 GL4 or GL5 hypoid gear oil
Drain and Fill Plug Crush Washers 24mm (2) PN 90441-PK4-000

4. Brake - DOT 3 PN 08798-9008A

5. Power Steering - 08206-9002A

6. Coolant - Acura type 2

Please let me know if i stated any incorrect information.
Also, what's the best place to purchase them? I did a quick google search and bernardiparts was one of the top results. Any experience with them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019

Seems alright… I recommend Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 for the Transfer oil and Lucas DOT 4 Full Syn Brake Fluid for the brake fluid.
Derrick likes this.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019

I have been running Valvoline MaxLife ATF in both the trans and rear diff. It is full synthetic and usually easily found at Walmart in a 4 qt container for ~$18. I have never used DW-1, but it far outperforms the old Z1.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019 Thread Starter

Thank you
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Thank you
Search your local CL. Like this one:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts...873024760.html

I always buy Acura/Honda OEM stuff for $5 a bottle.
Derrick likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019

I've done this set of jobs multiple times. A few notes:

1. It looks like you have the right fluids there and caught all the fluids that superseded the old ones.
2. If you are doing the transmission drain and fill (from the transmission dipstick tube) then you shouldn't need a new transmission fill plug washer.
3. Your part #s for your washers all look correct, except for the transfer case. Wherever you got the Transfer Case Fill and Drain plug washer part #90441-PK4-000 is the same as I've found previously. Except when I get under the car it isn't he right part. Last time I did this I went to the dealer and asked them and they gave me #94109-20000 (which I know is the same as the Rear Diff Fill Bolt washer). Anyway, I've got a 2010 so not sure if that matters. Just order QTY 2 of #94109-20000 for the Transfer Case Fill and Drain plug washers just in case (in addition to what you order for the Rear Diff).
4. Check out my DIY on the coolant change, lots of helpful tips there from other forum members. Including a MUST HAVE funnel to burp the system without making a mess.
5. I have used Bernardi (MA based) many times for parts. Also check out:
hondapartsunlimited - AZ
newoempartsonline - GA
acurapartsforless - NJ
acuraexpressparts- IL
oemacurapats - AZ
macchurchill - TX
Derrick likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019 Thread Starter

Greatly appreciate the response
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019

Just a tip - bring something to measure the washers with if your dealer gives you loose washers with no part numbers (I can't remember if the measurement is the inside or outside diameter, but you want to check the inside to make sure the bolts go through). Or better yet, if you have another car to drive while the MDX is being drained, bring the actual washers to compare. I had to go back in the middle of the job because they gave me the wrong ones. I can't really hold it against them since they've been excellent except for that minor mistake.

---------------
2007 MDX Elite
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

I cannot find correct answer to rear diff fluid.

Can you use Honda Dual Pump Fluid II instead of Acura DPSF? Most say not interchangeable, a few said no problem to use with either one. I asked my Honda parts guy and he said both are the same.

TIA.

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
2009 Acura MDX Elite
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Another fun tip about Dual Pump II is: It was invented prior to SH-AWD release! when ATF Z1 was discontinued Acura didn't simply relabel Dual Pump II like it does on most other fluids. They invented a complete new fluid called AWD DPSF to replace ATF Z1 in SH-AWD diffs.

So again, No.. They are not interchangeable...
-Dual Pump II is meant to be used exclusively on the CR-V Differential.
-VTM4 is meant to be used on the Pilot, 1G Ridgeline and 1G MDX Differential since they are the same system.
-AWD DPSF is EXCLUSIVELY made to be used on the SH-AWD Differential.

I mean you can use it by all means! but is not what Acura specify to use on SH-AWD Diffs.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
I cannot find correct answer to rear diff fluid.

Can you use Honda Dual Pump Fluid II instead of Acura DPSF? Most say not interchangeable, a few said no problem to use with either one. I asked my Honda parts guy and he said both are the same.

TIA.
Stick with DPSF. Why risk it? You're not saving much.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrface View Post
I have been running Valvoline MaxLife ATF in both the trans and rear diff. It is full synthetic and usually easily found at Walmart in a 4 qt container for ~$18. I have never used DW-1, but it far outperforms the old Z1.
I was curious about this. I wanted to drain and fill my ATF over the weekend but the dealership was closed. I was tempted to use the Valvoline MaxLife ATF since the website says it's compatible with my 07 MDX. I wasn't sure if this would really be ok to use.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticalstyle View Post
I was curious about this. I wanted to drain and fill my ATF over the weekend but the dealership was closed. I was tempted to use the Valvoline MaxLife ATF since the website says it's compatible with my 07 MDX. I wasn't sure if this would really be ok to use.
There are lots of Ody owners running the MaxLife in the trans. I've been using in my ody for almost 100K miles. No issues.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Maxlife makes sense when replacing Z1... But makes no difference against DW-1.
For the SH-AWD diff though? well that´s just asking for trouble.

Any of you have been following the OIL competitions by Project Farm?

2000 Honda Accord EX-L, 208K miles, Deep Velvet Blue Pearl
2008 MDX Tech+Power TG, 145K miles, Sterling Gray Metallic
2014 BMW 528i, 55K miles, Imperial Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement