Acura dealer offers me to trade in - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By AcuraAddicted
  • 2 Post By skinny2

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Acura dealer offers me to trade in

Acura dealer kept sending me trade in offer for my X. They want it cheap and pay a premium for their new one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Yeah, mine called me several times and every time were very surprised I intended to keep it until it dies, for at least a decade.

They stopped calling after the third time they spoke to me when it became clear I wasn't joking.

The car is paid off, even if there is a thing here and there - still better than paying for a new one. Even if a major repair happens, such as engine/transmission, still more financially sensible to do it and carry on rather then getting yourself into payments for a new one.

Now as for the second one - yes, may be, who knows (although it's going to be a used one, likely).

But I'm not changing my 2008.
RainGoat likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

My family used to own franchise dealers so I'm quite familiar with the biz. What's interesting is that their trade offer is probably very close to reality. Usually when they send these out they use a very high estimate by assuming high book value and that you have below average miles. That gets you in the door and then they spring the real offer on you. But you've already fell in love with that new and shiny thing and are willing to take a beating.
RainGoat and stevekozak like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dealers need used cars to sell and will go to auctions to get them.

Dealers will not offer you the same amount that they have to pay at an auction.

They offer you $1,000 less and see how badly you want to make them pay you more.

Give yourself a reference point and find your car's auction and finance value:

www dot cudlautosmart dot com
then research
then BlackBook
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Many years ago I had a salesman at a Nissan dealership insist on my providing a credit card before he would take the deal we worked up on a new 300ZX back to his manager. This was at a large Nissan dealership in the Washington DC area. I already had a very good relationship with a local Nissan store, and was only up at the one because they were big and had a good selection of Z-cars. I had nothing to do so went along with their hustle, until the salesman insisted that his manager wouldn't accept the contract w/o a credit card for good faith. I stood up, took the sales contract and tore it in half and walked out. In all my years of car buying before and after I've never had that happen a second time.

2008 MDX Base, Aspen White Pearl
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible
2008 BMW 328i Convertible
2009 Dodge Journey SXT
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

With 8+ years directly in dealerships and another 20+ in closely related jobs and many friends in the business I certainly have a bit different perspective of dealers. Naturally not all of them are bad, though virtually all of them have bad actors on staff, so you literally play roulette when you walk in the door. Of course it's fairly easy to identify the worst ones (the one that asks you if you are buying today as their first question lol), but others are either genuinely trying to help or have learned well how to hide their shadiness.

Of course the new car dealers have the corner on new cars and there is virtually no way to avoid them for a new car purchase unless you are a very large fleet purchaser. For used cars and many replacement parts obviously you can cut the dealer out which is what I do whenever possible simply because they are always the most expensive way to buy or fix a car because their overhead is greater than any other source. That's why I don't necessarily view them crooked, just expensive which is not illegal.

On the subject of trade vs auction, the concept that they will always pay more at the auction is simply not true. If the right boxes are checked (one owner, dealer maintained, not reported accidents, like new condition, etc.) the dealer will often pay more on trade than they would at auction because those cars rarely make it to the auction. Dealers send cars to the auction that don't fit that criteria.

Finally, keep in mind that enthusiasts on forums like this are not your typical consumer. Most of us here, with the exception of the person who just joined after a Google search turned up this forum when they were searching for a solution to a problem they are having, are far more studied than the typical driver. They get comfortable with a dealer or local repair shop and want to trust them to look out for their needs and there are businesses in literally every industry that cater to people that don't want to know any more about a particular industry than to walk in the door, make their purchase, and leave. Funny how there aren't forums about furniture, groceries, or appliances. Nobody calls them liars and thieves lol.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

MY STANDARD ANSWER:

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Garage
I have too many miles on my 11 MDX to get a reasonable offer from my local dealership (+125,000). She still runs perfectly, just did the 105K service not too long ago, new tires, and the rear magnetic shocks were replaced under the extended warranty.

I also find the 2nd Gen front, 2nd row seats, and driving position to be much more comfortable compared to the 3rd gen. No place to rest my right hand without a gear selector on 3rd Gen and the driver's pillar with the seatbelt sticks out too far and I can't rest my arm there to drive and chill when I want to cruise.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Personally I wouldn't buy another Acura made after 2009 with all the issues with oil burning. I say you keep driving the car till the wheels fall off, then look for a Lexus or maybe a Toyota, they seem to be the only car manufacture still making reliable cars. I have an 09 TL Tech and it's been ok, no real problems but having to replace the timing belt, like so many other cars have to do as well, is a real needless pain in the pocketbook. I know the interior of mine doesn't have the fit and finish quality that a Lexus has, and the Lexus rides nicer; though back when I got my TL it was faster than the same vintage Lexus. With all the strange reliability issues with most cars these days my next car will be from Lexus.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
Personally I wouldn't buy another Acura made after 2009 with all the issues with oil burning. I say you keep driving the car till the wheels fall off, then look for a Lexus or maybe a Toyota, they seem to be the only car manufacture still making reliable cars. I have an 09 TL Tech and it's been ok, no real problems but having to replace the timing belt, like so many other cars have to do as well, is a real needless pain in the pocketbook. I know the interior of mine doesn't have the fit and finish quality that a Lexus has, and the Lexus rides nicer; though back when I got my TL it was faster than the same vintage Lexus. With all the strange reliability issues with most cars these days my next car will be from Lexus.
Toyota/Lexus has their share of issues too, but at the end of the day Acuras are tweaked toward performance and handling while the Lexus more smooth/quiet ride. If that's the kind of car you like, fine, but many buyers do not compare them head to head.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

This was their response when I said NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

A bait and switch would be if they offered you $20k to get you in the door and then only $10k when you arrived. I'd say your MDX on trade is worth about what they offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement