Oil level check - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Oil level check

I know we have a lot of oil threads here, and my question is simple, but wanted to start a new thread to get answers as quickly as possible. If you check your oil, and the oil is dead in the middle of the cross-hatched section, how much oil would need to be added to bring it back to full? I did this and was surprised at the amount it took in my 12 MDX. Looking for answers from knowledgeable owners here to see if my car is an anomaly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Also curious about this. I read somewhere else said it is about a quarter from the low to the top. Somebody confirm this? Also dealers usually over fill 5 quarters instead of 4.x?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
If you check your oil, and the oil is dead in the middle of the cross-hatched section, how much oil would need to be added to bring it back to full?
None. The middle of the cross-hatched section is the proper oil level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
None. The middle of the cross-hatched section is the proper oil level.
So, when YOU change your oil and put 4.5 quarts of oil in, the level on the dipstick is in the dead center of the hashmarked section of the dipstick?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
I supply my own oil to Acura for M.I.D. services. They usually return my 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w-20 with about 1/2 quart still in it. I use the remaining 1/2 around +3500 miles down the road since I burn about 1 quart between M.I.D. services on my 11 MDX with +125,000 miles). I just make sure I never go below the bottom mark during my 8000-9000 oil change intervals.

I've notice I need to keep the MDX perfectly level for an accurate oil level read. It can look to be 1/2 - 3/4 low if I check my oil on my driveway with a gradual increasing decline compared to my level garage.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
So, when YOU change your oil and put 4.5 quarts of oil in, the level on the dipstick is in the dead center of the hashmarked section of the dipstick?
With 4.5 qts, the oil level on the dipstick is at the top line, no more no less.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
With 4.5 qts, the oil level on the dipstick is at the top line, no more no less.

Which is where I believe it should be. AcuraAddicted seems to be saying it should be dead in the center of the dipstick when at capacity.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
I supply my own oil to Acura for M.I.D. services. They usually return my 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 5w-20 with about 1/2 quart still in it. I use the remaining 1/2 around +3500 miles down the road since I burn about 1 quart between M.I.D. services on my 11 MDX with +125,000 miles). I just make sure I never go below the bottom mark during my 8000-9000 oil change intervals.

I've notice I need to keep the MDX perfectly level for an accurate oil level read. It can look to be 1/2 - 3/4 low if I check my oil on my driveway with a gradual increasing decline compared to my level garage.
And where is the oil on the dipstick right after the oil change with the 4.5 quarts? Where on the dipstick is the oil at 3500 miles before and after you add the extra half quart of oil?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Yes, spot on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
I know we have a lot of oil threads here, and my question is simple, but wanted to start a new thread to get answers as quickly as possible. If you check your oil, and the oil is dead in the middle of the cross-hatched section, how much oil would need to be added to bring it back to full? I did this and was surprised at the amount it took in my 12 MDX. Looking for answers from knowledgeable owners here to see if my car is an anomaly?

I've never added oil between changes on my MDX but most vehicle dipsticks are calibrated to need 1 quart from the bottom (low) line. By that logic halfway would be 1/2 quart low but I don't know for sure. Just changed the oil on mine yesterday and 4.5 quarts puts it right at the top line on the stick. BTW, the manual says you don't need to add oil unless it's at or below the "low" mark.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
I've never added oil between changes on my MDX but most vehicle dipsticks are calibrated to need 1 quart from the bottom (low) line. By that logic halfway would be 1/2 quart low but I don't know for sure. Just changed the oil on mine yesterday and 4.5 quarts puts it right at the top line on the stick. BTW, the manual says you don't need to add oil unless it's at or below the "low" mark.
Maybe I have very good hearing. At .5 qt low or more, I can detect valve lifters (whatever technical term) whistling at high speed, 60mph+.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Garage
Quote:
And where is the oil on the dipstick right after the oil change with the 4.5 quarts? Where on the dipstick is the oil at 3500 miles before and after you add the extra half quart of oil?
After +5 years and +100,000 miles I don't check the oil anymore after service at the dealership. I'm not 100% sure if the oil level is mid way or topped off on the dip stick? I just check it at around the 40%-60% oil life range and have to put in around 1/2 -2/3 quart to get me there until the next M.I.D. service. My oil consumption has stayed consistent over the years. I'm pretty close (but not below) to the low mark when I take her in for the M.I.D. oil changes.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

I appreciate all the replies to this thread. Some of the information is contradictory, but I got most of what I needed. I think my dealership (stealership) overfills, as the oil on the dipstick, in the level of my garage, right after an oil change, shows above the top mark on the stick ( over the R on the RCA). The oil was dead center of the hashmarked area when I added oil. I added exactly .5 quart. The oil was then (again) above the top mark on the stick ( over the R on the RCA). Appears to be using about .5 quarts in about 2600 miles.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
Maybe I have very good hearing. At .5 qt low or more, I can detect valve lifters (whatever technical term) whistling at high speed, 60mph+.

There is no logical reason for noise to be caused from being slightly low unless your oil has been degraded beyond it's useful life. If the dipstick shows oil, then it's within an acceptable level and no damage/noise should occur. The engine internals will be lubricated at the same rate and pressure as long as oil is being picked up by the pump, which in most cases you'd have to be >2qts low before that would become an issue.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny2 View Post
There is no logical reason for noise to be caused from being slightly low unless your oil has been degraded beyond it's useful life. If the dipstick shows oil, then it's within an acceptable level and no damage/noise should occur. The engine internals will be lubricated at the same rate and pressure as long as oil is being picked up by the pump, which in most cases you'd have to be >2qts low before that would become an issue.
Like I was saying, maybe my hearing is exceptional because I can hear it. It is usually about 1/2 qt low when I begin to hear it. There should be no music or talking, otherwise, you won't hear it. The MDX is not the exception, my previous Infiniti I heard it too when oil low.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement