Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

ADS suspension

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  AcuraAddicted 
#1 ·
Hello I'll try to keep this short and excuse my writing skills.

I just bought a 2013 Acura MDX advance package with the ADS suspension. I have a clunking sound on the passenger side front.I bounced the car up and down and I can hear the clunk coming from the strut area at the top. I read about that part leaking and failing prematurely and that it's pricey, and I also heard about the extended warranty. I have a 2013 with 119k miles. I didn't anticipate putting money that soon. What are my options at this point I heard some people have changed to normal non sport shocks.how does that work out do you sacrifice ride quality a lot? Also is it advisable to just change the one passenger side or change both if I stay OEM?

#2 ·
If you are going to go away from the ADS to standard suspension components it is an all or nothing prop. As for ride quality? That all depends on how sensitive you are. Most of us would hardly notice the difference, but if you bought your X to regularly drive it like a sports car you may feel like you took a step down.

Here is an 11 page thread on the subject you have probably already seen, but just in case.

https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/56394-ads-shocks-regular.html

#3 ·
Do you do many car repairs?
For the price of the front right ads shock that you need to replace, you can buy all 4 regular shocks.
Most used car owners don't want to spend one third the value of their car on just shocks, which may or may not need replaced in 35,000 miles.

The ride quality...
I swapped over to base model shocks, for a few months, before I got a warranty extension letter.
I reinstalled the bad ADS units and Acura replaced them for free.
I drove around for about 8 months and decided that I liked the firmer non-ADS ride better. I put the non-ADS shocks back on.
I have the 8 month old 4 - 5 thousand mile ADS shocks in storage, with a bunch of Beanie Babies.
And no, the Beanie Babies are not for sale.

#5 ·
The Non-Sport shocks are actually better according to some users… I personally haven´t driven the ADS MDX but from the personal experience with touge and my MDX the Non-Sport shocks are FAAAAAARRRR from soft.. They are actually quite hard for non-Sportish shocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.