OIl brand - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

OIl brand

Going to ask the age old question to some experienced MDXers.... which oils brand do you use?
Is Royal Purple as good as they say it is?
Motul, Mobil 1, Castrol, etc?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

IMO a lot of the difference from one oil brand to the next has been negated by the extreme tightening of specifications demanded by highly efficient/tight tolerance engines in the last 20+ years. No longer is there a significant difference from one brand to the next and the secret to a long life engine is still regular changes to get rid of the dirt that has built up. No matter how good the filter is (and the better it is the faster it clogs) there is only so much capacity in that little canister before it is full and bypasses so that it does not starve the oil pump.

I have been a Mobil 1 user for years, but recently did some digging. With only a handful of refiners/bottlers scattered around the country and the private label products getting bottled on the same line as the brand names, most of the difference from one to the next is virtually indistinguishable other than the cost which is due to marketing expense for the big names, so I recently switched to using SuperTech (Walmart house brand). It is bottled in a plant run by Citgo and there are several other major DIY guys on the Honda Odyssey forum that have been running SuperTech for 10+ years. Since I have high mile cars I am using the 5W20 (that is what Acura calls for in my '07) high mileage version and feel completely comfortable. I am still in the habit of oil/filter/rotate every 5K and save $9 or 34% each oil change. IMO Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc., are either good or very good products, but for run of the mill daily drivers that will head to the scrapyard for a reason other than a blown engine 98% of the time it simply does not make sense to run something that costs as much as those do. JMO

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Mobil 1. Cheap at Wal-Mart or when on sale at Canadian Tire. I've used RP but it's just too expensive and I've given up on it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

I use AMSOIL Signature Full Synthetic 5W-20 with AMSOIL Filter 15K13.

2000 Honda Accord EX-L, 206K miles, Deep Velvet Blue Pearl
2008 MDX Tech+Power TG, 142K miles, Sterling Gray Metallic
2014 BMW 528i, 50K miles, Imperial Blue
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've used whatever was on sale and changing when the MID tells me to. Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, NAPA synthetics....no issues through 125k miles and several oil samples show tons of life remaining at the typical 8k-9k mile interval. Mine doesn't use oil like some others either. There are better things to spend your time on than oil brands IMHO.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

While some oils are fantastic like Royal Purple but it's expensive, and this oil is really more for cars that are being raced, it your not racing you won't notice any improvement with either gasoline mileage or engine mileage over cheaper syn oil like Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Castrol Magnatec (which by the way has been tested to prove that Magnatec is not a marketing ploy, it actually does what it says it will do). However if your engine burns oil to the tune of 1 and 1/2 quarts or more between oil changes then don't waste your money on those oils I mentioned, switch to something cheaper like Castrol GTX High Mileage Syn blend or any other High Mileage oil you can find on sale; keep in mind, the more oil your engine burns the cheaper the oil you should be using.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Mobil 1 EP and Mobil 1 Annual Protection for Extended Intervals.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Use synthetic 5w-20 oil and Mobil 1 is all the beast needs you can use the extended protection as it has great reviews also. Amsoil is also great as is royal purple and Redline but the added price is not necessary but they are excellent if you choose to use them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

thanks for the replies
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

thanks for the guide
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-20 Full Synthetic all the way from 2014. Costs $35 Canadian on sale ($USD 26) for a 5 litre jug.

Queter engine (especially shutoff with no shuddering like before), good performance, no burning.

I'll be opening the valve covers this year to see how well it handles the deposits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement