hitch harness - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By gwilki
  • 1 Post By qqzj
  • 1 Post By MDXpression

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter

hitch harness

hello i have a 08 mdx tech with what looks to be an oem hitch. i dont see any plug though. doesnt make any sense to me but has any one else had this issue? i see aftermarket kits available from curt and Hopkins

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019

Garage
You had the option to purchase the OEM hitch with or without the wiring harness. The OEM wiring harness was a 7-pin flat. Some aftermarket harness can be 7-pin or down to 4-flat depending on your needs. I did the OEM 7-pin wiring harness and purchased an adapter to 4-flat when I need that.

Some of the aftermarket hitches do not have enough space for a full size spare (donut only). The OEM hitch can take a full size spare and has the pre-drilled holes to attach the OEM wiring harness.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
You had the option to purchase the OEM hitch with or without the wiring harness. The OEM wiring harness was a 7-pin flat. Some aftermarket harness can be 7-pin or down to 4-flat depending on your needs. I did the OEM 7-pin wiring harness and purchased an adapter to 4-flat when I need that.

Some of the aftermarket hitches do not have enough space for a full size spare (donut only). The OEM hitch can take a full size spare and has the pre-drilled holes to attach the OEM wiring harness.
I remember using the OEM hitch requires one to either cut his rear bumper or buy another bumper cover.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019

It makes sense if you are only going to use the hitch for things like bike racks or ski racks.
Northof49 likes this.

Grant Wilkinson
Ottawa ON
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019

Garage
Iíve had the following hitch for 8+ years. It tucks just under the rear bumper nicely without any cutting. Looks & functions great. Not interference with the spare.

Curt Manufacturing#13354
2" Receiver
Gross Load Capacity
Wt Carrying 4000
Tongue Wt 400 lb.
Wt Distribution (WD) 5000 lb.
WD Tongue Wt 500 lb.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainGoat View Post
Iíve had the following hitch for 8+ years. It tucks just under the rear bumper nicely without any cutting. Looks & functions great. Not interference with the spare.

Curt Manufacturing#13354
2" Receiver
Gross Load Capacity
Wt Carrying 4000
Tongue Wt 400 lb.
Wt Distribution (WD) 5000 lb.
WD Tongue Wt 500 lb.
Try to fit a full sized tire within your Curt hitch.
Give an update, because you might have a different Curt part number than I have.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks82ss View Post
hello i have a 08 mdx tech with what looks to be an oem hitch. i dont see any plug though. doesnt make any sense to me but has any one else had this issue? i see aftermarket kits available from curt and Hopkins
I installed the OEM harness and hitch. The harness came with 7 pin + 4 pin. I had no problems fitting a full size spare tire with the OEM hitch. Both kits come with complete installation instructions.

2000 Honda Accord EX-L, 208K miles, Deep Velvet Blue Pearl
2008 MDX Tech+Power TG, 145K miles, Sterling Gray Metallic
2014 BMW 528i, 55K miles, Imperial Blue
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I ordered and installed the Hopkins kit went in quick easy n painless
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks82ss View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I ordered and installed the Hopkins kit went in quick easy n painless
do you have donut spare or a full size one? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
stevekozak likes this.

From when I researched this, the Donut spare fits fine with an Aftermarket Hitch. The problem is when you get a flat. Now you have the spare mounted on the car and can't tuck the full size wheel/tire underneath and have to place it in your cargo hold. If you are on a long road trip and your cargo area is full.. you can see where this is going. I guess you could place your flat full size wheel/tire in the trailer or item you are towing as well. Acura also recommends having a full size spare when towing as the donut has a lower load capacity.

I went with the OEM hitch and upgraded to a full size spare to play it safe. For wiring I installed the Curt 4-pin wiring that plugs right in to the factory connection point.

If things have changed and a full size wheel/tire now fit with some of the aftermarket hitches that is great news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGonzalez View Post
I installed the OEM harness and hitch. The harness came with 7 pin + 4 pin. I had no problems fitting a full size spare tire with the OEM hitch. Both kits come with complete installation instructions.
Must one cut anything to install the OEM hitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDXpression View Post
From when I researched this, the Donut spare fits fine with an Aftermarket Hitch. The problem is when you get a flat. Now you have the spare mounted on the car and can't tuck the full size wheel/tire underneath and have to place it in your cargo hold. If you are on a long road trip and your cargo area is full.. you can see where this is going. I guess you could place your flat full size wheel/tire in the trailer or item you are towing as well. Acura also recommends having a full size spare when towing as the donut has a lower load capacity.

I went with the OEM hitch and upgraded to a full size spare to play it safe. For wiring I installed the Curt 4-pin wiring that plugs right in to the factory connection point.

If things have changed and a full size wheel/tire now fit with some of the aftermarket hitches that is great news.
Did you need to do anything to the bumper?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I had a body shop trim my rear bumper trim to accommodate the factory hitch. The reason I did this is my factory bumper trim was painted to match the car. The other option is to just buy the already cut factory bumper trim for $80 or so and just swap it out when you install the hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1_zps7ewi9fbs.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	109450  
qqzj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement