2011 Advance front strut replacement - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By troye

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

2011 Advance front strut replacement

New user. Searched the forums and got 19 thread results, but didn't see what I'm looking for.

I have a 2011 Advance and have just been informed by my mechanic that he wants roughly $4k to replace. I don't want to invest that much in a 9 year old car with 165k miles on it.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the electromagnetic front struts on the Advance with cheaper/simpler front struts without setting off error codes/lights or other issues that can't be easily resolved?

Is there a thread that discusses this replacement that I can review and share with my mechanic? I can't seem to find it -- thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

Garage
This seems to be the main thread for the conversion: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...s-regular.html

I have a 11 MDX ADV with +123,000 miles and replaced my front and rear magnetic struts/shocks since 2014. I was lucky the replacement was covered by the basic and Acura Care both times. All out of warranty and planning to keep my MDX for a few more years. I will do the conversion to regular if either the fronts or rears go out during that time.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks. Are ADS shocks the same as the Advance's front struts?

I had the rear shocks replaced 2 years ago and have been searching the forum for struts, not shocks, but what do I know?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

Garage
The MDX ADS uses struts up front and shocks for the rears. I haven't found an aftermarket replacement for the ADS and OEM parts seems to be in the $700-$950 range for each (not counting labor and alignment).

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019 Thread Starter

There seem to be mixed/bad reviews on the Strutmaster kit and I can't see any reviews on the Arnott conversion kit.

So is there a consensus on the most effective/best value conversion for just the front struts? I had the rear shocks replaced last year. OEM? KYB? I'm not sure, even though I read thru all 31 pages of the long thread on this topic.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

First my rear electronic shocks when out, on my 2007 Sport MDX, then a few months my front passenger strut when out.

Initially, I bought/replaced the bad rear ones with kyb shocks and all 4 of the resistors.
I did not get any warnings, because the computer saw the resistors.
Of course, the front shocks didn't act like electronic shocks anymore, because they were not getting any signals, from the computer.

I started shopping around for free shipping on the front struts. I replaced the fronts as a pair.

I spent $700 (shipped) for all four corners, resistors, and front end links.

Once you decide that $4k - $5k is too much, to spend every 40,000 miles, start shopping and fill your parts list.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

Garage
I think most folks will just dump the entire magnetic suspension system and covert to regular on all 4 corners. Some do OEM and other try KYB. They said the ride felt like in-between the comfort and sport mode of the ADS system. Since our MDX have larger front and rear stabilizer bars the big girl should handle a touch better compared to the base/tech models in the curves. I don't know the exact details and what parts works best like replace struts only or replace the entire strut assembly with springs included or what type of resistor to purchase to turn of ADS warning, etc.... I will cross that bridge when mine fail.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschultz View Post
New user. Searched the forums and got 19 thread results, but didn't see what I'm looking for.

I have a 2011 Advance and have just been informed by my mechanic that he wants roughly $4k to replace. I don't want to invest that much in a 9 year old car with 165k miles on it.

Has anyone had any luck replacing the electromagnetic front struts on the Advance with cheaper/simpler front struts without setting off error codes/lights or other issues that can't be easily resolved?

Is there a thread that discusses this replacement that I can review and share with my mechanic? I can't seem to find it -- thanks.

Hey, donít do anything until you try this step first. Call Acura client care and let them know how dissatisfied you are with the shocks failing on your luxury vehicle and open a case with them. Let them know there was a warranty extension for these shocks not to long ago and that they knew these shocks were faulty. You may get lucky and they will cover the parts, but you have to pay the labour (300-400 dollars CAD). They accepted my case, 2010 advance with 160k km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschultz View Post

Welcome. Search a little better next time, there is a ton of info on this forum. Long and short - do not spend $4k. Go with the base OEM strut assembly replacement, it is easy to replace. IMO it is the best option. I know some have replaced just the front struts also.

The rears are cake, you can get the KYB on Amazon for like 60 bux a corner. Get the resistors and call it a day.
But do not go with Strutmasters, I did and would never do it again. Besides Acura parts come with 2 year warranty and you can return / exchange to any dealer.

T
mrgold35 and Wilsoncc like this.
res

Convert ADS Shocks to Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baaj View Post
Hey, donít do anything until you try this step first. Call Acura client care and let them know how dissatisfied you are with the shocks failing on your luxury vehicle and open a case with them. Let them know there was a warranty extension for these shocks not to long ago and that they knew these shocks were faulty. You may get lucky and they will cover the parts, but you have to pay the labour (300-400 dollars CAD). They accepted my case, 2010 advance with 160k km.

Baaj,

I called Acura Client Care last week and got no where with rep but I asked to speak to a Manager so waiting 10+ Biz days for a call back. "She" said Manager answer wb NO as well but you gave me good idea, propose cost sharing>Acura pay for parts and I'll pay for labour.

Background

I'm in Edmonton with a 2010 MDX Elite with those POS Active Damper Struts too. My front ones were replaced almost 3 years ago at 116,000 km and have now failed again with only another 67,000 km on them. Not spending $3500 to do this again! And I have a post into Mahmoud already about replacing these front POS Active Damper Struts with Base Strut Assemblies like he did.

How do you know when the ADS fails? Sign of leak or just clunky noise?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2 Hours Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BlackUbmMDX View Post
How do you know when the ADS fails? Sign of leak or just clunky noise?

Mine failed as well, they will either make a squeak noise over bumps most noticeable in comfort mode or a clunking or knocking like noise over bumps as well. I had them replaced around 115k but they failed again only after 142k which is absurd for how much they cost. Rest assured I called Acura and they proposed the same resolution, they pay for parts Iíll pay for labour around 350 and alignment I believe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement