Smell from vents even few days after car wash - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By AcuraAddicted
  • 2 Post By jb10
  • 1 Post By Priscillababy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018 Thread Starter

Smell from vents even few days after car wash

I searched and didn't see anyone else with this problem, but any ideas to solve this?

I had the cabin air filter replaced awhile back and it didn't change the lingering chemical smell of a car wash coming in upon vehicle start and idle. Oddly enough, it's only present when around 20-40F outside and for about 10-15 minutes of idle or gone the car has been in motion. Problem is that I end up being extra smell sensitive somedays and idling to nap in warmth in (chronic fatigue) in winter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018

Most likely your evaporator core is infested with mold. You can change the filer and mask the smell all you want, but if you do not solve the root of the issue, smell will reoccur quickly.

Here's my video on how to get rid of it (hope this helps):
Priscillababy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018

Garage
Tip: turn off your air during the car wash.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb10 View Post
Tip: turn off your air during the car wash.
Yes, that's actually a good tip. I do that all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018

get this or something like it, there are many different brands on the market, it kills the mold that u have in the evap core
A/C ProŽ Vent & Duct Cleaner - AC Pro
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018

*I second the motion on keeping your AIR off during a car wash!!!

I'd also recommend the following product- have been using this yearly on my 2009 MDX and have no interior cabin odors (just have to make sure do this at least once a year- around the same time you change out the cabin air filter)... (also highly recommend doing this in conjunction with Mr. AcuraAddicted's previously referenced YouTube video within this same thread- 'Cleaning evaporator core DIY 2008 Acura MDX'- if you want to be very thorough in cleaning out any interior unpleasant scents!).

6oz. Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment
$12 + shipping (Autogeek.net price)
https://www.autogeek.net/wuachesytr6o.html

Changing cabin air filter
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-200...ir-filter.html

AcuraAddicted likes this.

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018

Absolutely.
Use the Wurth mentioned above:

6oz. Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment
$12 + shipping (Autogeek.net price)
https://www.autogeek.net/wuachesytr6o.html
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
*I second the motion on keeping your AIR off during a car wash!!!

I'd also recommend the following product- have been using this yearly on my 2009 MDX and have no interior cabin odors (just have to make sure do this at least once a year- around the same time you change out the cabin air filter)... (also highly recommend doing this in conjunction with Mr. AcuraAddicted's previously referenced YouTube video within this same thread- 'Cleaning evaporator core DIY 2008 Acura MDX'- if you want to be very thorough in cleaning out any interior unpleasant scents!).

Do you spray this down the cabin air intake vent (remove the filter and spray the inside)? Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Do you spray this down the cabin air intake vent (remove the filter and spray the inside)? Thanks.
IF you're referring to (which I'll assume that you are?) this product below:

....after I've opened the MDX's glove box, and have lowered the glove box 'door' to gain better access, I proceed to remove the old cabin air filter, next I start the car, roll all windows down, and then turn the AC on (full blast), and finally begin spraying the Wurth AC cleaning spray directly (straw pointed straight inside- no need to point down- can point straight in) and empty entire can....

once empty, I continue to let the AC blow on full blast for about another 5-7 minutes. I then turn off AC, roll all windows back up, turn off engine, and then insert the new cabin air filter back in, re-attach glove box door and then close it....
Derrick likes this.

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

Garage
Alright so i've just ordered two cans of Wurth (16oz), and the Fram BreezeMax w/ charcoal cabin filter. I ordered two cans of Kool-it last season but never got around to using them.

My question is: Does the can(s) of Wurth take the place of Kool-it, or should I perform both in addition to the cabin filter replacement? We bought our 2008 used and the previous owner smoked. I pulled all of the interior out, green-machine'd the HELL out of the carpet with a nice mix of solution, detailed the interior, but still there is a smell of smoke. I think the steering wheel (i know - gross), and the vent system are the last pieces of the puzzle. During the winter the smell wasn't there but now that the weather is heating up, that terrible smell is back.

Also, does anyone have any tips for deep-six'ing the headliner without ruining it? I spot cleaned the a-pillars and the headliner where it needed and the color is consistent, but I have a feeling that the headliner is hiding smells as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmechanic View Post
Alright so i've just ordered two cans of Wurth (16oz), and the Fram BreezeMax w/ charcoal cabin filter. I ordered two cans of Kool-it last season but never got around to using them.

My question is: Does the can(s) of Wurth take the place of Kool-it, or should I perform both in addition to the cabin filter replacement?.....
IMHO, neither one replaces the other- they supplement each other towards achieving a single objective- eliminate any foul odors within the inside of your 2nd gen. MDX as much as possible...

I do the Kool-it procedure at least once a year and the Fram cabin filter replacement & Wurth can treatment about twice a year...and haven't had any foul odors inside my 2009 MDX for the past several years that I've been doing this....I'm very sensitive to foul odors and this maintenance is of particular high value to me!
AcuraAddicted likes this.

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

Garage
Awesome, i'm going to do the full suite then. The Wurth stuff arrives tomorrow so its game on! Thanks for the info.

1996 Honda Civic EX (perpetual garage project car)
2008 Honda Element LX (Working on J32a3 swap)
2017 Nissan Sentra (daily driver)
2008 Acura MDX Tech Package (daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement