DIY: Rear Sway Bar Bushings. - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017 Thread Starter

DIY: Rear Sway Bar Bushings.

This will be the easiest, fastest DIY I have ever written.

So after replacing my front sway bushings which were hardened to hell I decided to give it a go and replace the rears. Since there isn´t a DIY about doing that on the 2G MDX I decided to write this DIY.

Parts you will need:
0.- New sway bar bushings. I used MOOG K200735 which are only for the BASE MODEL MDX, Sport uses different part number.

Pretty soft material, Seems poly-based.

1.- 14mm socket
2.- Ratchet
3.- Torque meter (Optional)
4.- Cleaning rags

Steps works on both sides:

1.- You don´t need to jack up the car, Just park the car on a leveled surface and you can crawl underneath the rear and spot the bushings behind the mufflers. They are easily visible through the rear wheel wells:

2.- Remove the bushings by removing the 2x 14mm bolts holding the bracket in place:

3.- Mew bushing vs Old bushing:

4.- Clean the sway bar for any dirt and mud, etc. Clean the base too:

5.- Install the new bushing and bracket, Torque to 22ft-lb (I didn´t get the correct measurement online, I used the torque meter to find the tightness level, they became undone at around 25ft-lb..) If you happen to find the correct measurement use that to tighten the bolts:

Tips:
1.- You can reach the upper bolt if you put your hand on top of the muffler heat shield, There is room for your arm and it will have an excellent angle to start the threads on the top bolt.

2.- Use penetrating oil before hand, I soaked them before doing this and they were still pretty tight.

3.- If a bolt is too tight do not try to remove it by force!! these screws are very small and they will cap off easily.. Use penetrating oil to thread it in and carefully remove them, When they start to snug up insert them again.. Use plenty penetrating oil when you thread it in again... Repeat until the bolt comes off.

That´s it! you just replaced your Rear Sway Bar Bushings! Give thanks to Honda since they re-designed this setup for the 2G.. The 1G MDX required you to drop the sub frame in order to reach the bushings... So this is pretty darn simple.

Pics Installed:

DIY DIFFICULT SCALE: 1 out of 10
TIME TO COMPLETE: 15 Minutes.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017

Garage
Awesome stuff, @skirmich

These last few DIY's you've posted are gonna make me spend a few bucks on my X.

I've started an Amazon wish list with all these MOOG parts, will have to wait till spring as our temps are hovering around 30* - 32*F these days. A bit too cold to be working out in the driveway.

2009 CDN Tech Package
HFL Delete
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017

How many such suspension rubber parts in mdx and do they all need to be replaced? I can count sway bar bushings, lower ball joints, strut mounts, engine transmission mounts, anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017
Super Senior Member

Excellent skirmich! Thanks!

17 X Tech -- White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
08 X Sport/Ent -- Sterling Gray/Ebony

03 MDX Touring/RES - GONE

02 Honda S2000
10 Honda CRV LX
12 Toyota Avalon Limited
12 Toyota Highlander V6
16 Lexus GS350
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northof49 View Post
Awesome stuff, @skirmich

These last few DIY's you've posted are gonna make me spend a few bucks on my X.

I've started an Amazon wish list with all these MOOG parts, will have to wait till spring as our temps are hovering around 30* - 32*F these days. A bit too cold to be working out in the driveway.

Thanks! good thing these are pretty inexpensive and Yeah working on the floor with those temps is no good for your health.. I was lying down on a cardboard box and it wasn´t really cozy.. At least this can be done without jacking up the car which saves up a lot of time for me.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqzj View Post
How many such suspension rubber parts in mdx and do they all need to be replaced? I can count sway bar bushings, lower ball joints, strut mounts, engine transmission mounts, anything else?

Well considering ALL arms and suspension links comes with rubber? pretty much all the suspensions parts...
Even the shocks have a rubber insulator which is part of the dust cover. But I am not gonna change the front A-Arms just to have new bushings

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins2rt View Post
Excellent skirmich! Thanks!

Your welcome!!

To add up to the write up:
1.- MOOG K200736 is the correct part number for the SPORT MDX.
2.- Correct torque spec for the sway bushing bracket is 16ft-lbs.

This info was shared by the member: "Carpayment4life" @ Acurazine.com
Priscillababy likes this.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018

Bump up this companion thread as well! Why didn't you replace the rear links? Thanks.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018 Thread Starter

I replaced the fronts because they were making noise, Rear ones were not and they looked like a PITA to replace… They are also pretty expensive... Perhaps down the road as preventive maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
I replaced the fronts because they were making noise, Rear ones were not and they looked like a PITA to replace… They are also pretty expensive... Perhaps down the road as preventive maintenance.

Why your under carriage cover with so much dust. You drive on dusty road in Mexico?

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BlackUbmMDX View Post
Why your under carriage cover with so much dust. You drive on dusty road in Mexico?

Every road is a dusty road in México!
Joke aside I dont recall why it was so dirty that time But I do lots of off roading with my X so perhaps it was the day after an off road adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
Any reason why the rear ones are more of a PITA than the front ones?

The price is a lot more on eBay/Amazon, but at RockAuto, the price is very close. RA is magical. Even with 15% coupon, nothing in eBay will come close to RA. For just $8.99 shipping, no tax, RA will deliver everything using UPS ground. The grand total is only $116 for 4 end links and two pairs of bushings. I guess that is why people stick with RA even after they got really f**ed by RA.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018 Thread Starter

The front is a strut setup while the back has the shock and spring separated, So the space is a little tight between the knuckle and the lower nut for the sway links. It looks 2x harder to replace than the fronts.

All the bolts nuts are 12mm, man!

The space there is a bit larger than I thought. I can actually stick a 3/8 torque wrench down there. After I torqued all four bolts to 16 ft lbs, I can see that the sway bar can very easily slide horizontally. This is expected, right? The ball joints at the end of the sway bar are supposed to induce this kind of movement? I think this makes sense. Just want to make sure. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in