Class action lawsuit against Honda for Bluetooth module (HFL) - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017 Thread Starter

Class action lawsuit against Honda for Bluetooth module (HFL)

Hi all,

I posted the following links on the mileage thread about this class action lawsuit. However, after looking into some more it appears to be legit and I thought it deserved it's own post.

I found out about the class action lawsuit as I was searching for issues on the 3rd Gen Acura TL as I am considering buying a used one. I ran across a post on Carcomplaints.com. Found that the issue we face on our MDX also affected the TL. Separate research today showed a page dedicated to the complaint by one of the law firms listed: HBS LAW. On this page you can add your name to their list. Hopefully a fixed bluetooth unit comes out of this sometime before I replace my MDX. If you guys post on other forums for other cars that have a similar issue make sure to spread the word like on a TL site.

Regards,

Jay

-=+>TRINERGY<+=-

2009 ACURA MDX Tech and Entertainment | Formal Black/Ebony
2010 MAZDA 3 Sedan S Sport | Graphite Mica/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinergy View Post
Hi all,

I posted the following links on the mileage thread about this class action lawsuit. However, after looking into some more it appears to be legit and I thought it deserved it's own post.

I found out about the class action lawsuit as I was searching for issues on the 3rd Gen Acura TL as I am considering buying a used one. I ran across a post on Carcomplaints.com. Found that the issue we face on our MDX also affected the TL. Separate research today showed a page dedicated to the complaint by one of the law firms listed: HBS LAW. On this page you can add your name to their list. Hopefully a fixed bluetooth unit comes out of this sometime before I replace my MDX. If you guys post on other forums for other cars that have a similar issue make sure to spread the word like on a TL site.

Regards,

Jay
Interesting- here's a link to this news story:

Hagens Berman: Acura Owners File Class-Action Lawsuit against Honda for Battery-Draining Bluetooth HandsFreeLink Defect | Business Wire

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017 Thread Starter

https://hbsslaw.com/cases/honda-acur...reelink-defect

Case update it is proceeding to discovery! Honda knew about it since 2005 with older models not just "X"s.

DEFENDANT NAME: American Honda Motor Company Inc.
CASE NUMBER: 16-cv-04507
COURT: U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
PRACTICE AREA: Automotive Litigation, Consumer Rights
DATE FILED: 06/22/16
KEY ATTORNEYS:
Steve W. Berman
Catherine Y.N. Gannon
Christopher R. Pitoun
RELATED DOCUMENTS:
Order Granting in Part and Denying in Part Defendant's Motion to Dismiss 04/25/17
Amended Complaint 10/17/16
Complaint 08/03/16
206-623-7292
[email protected]
CASE UPDATE

Judge Jon S. Tigar, of the Northern District of California, recently denied (download Judge Tigar's Order) in large part Honda’s requests to dismiss plaintiffs’ claims—representing a big win for consumers. In doing so, Judge Tigar found it was plausible that the HandsFree Link defect posed a safety risk because drained batteries could cause the car to stop unexpectedly on the road. He also found that plaintiffs have adequately plead that Acura/Honda knew about the relationship between the HandsFree Link and drained batteries as early as 2005, but withheld this information from consumers. With this decision, a large number of Plaintiffs’ claims are allowed to continue.

Plaintiffs anticipate filing an amended complaint by July 2017, which will update some of the allegations at issue, and are eager to move forward with the discovery process in order to build on the momentum of this recent win.

-=+>TRINERGY<+=-

2009 ACURA MDX Tech and Entertainment | Formal Black/Ebony
2010 MAZDA 3 Sedan S Sport | Graphite Mica/Black

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017

Send a message via AIM to djillusion
holy shnikes! i just came across this thread and read the link.

this is crazy as our BT/HFL in our 2009 MDX hasn't worked for some time now. no way to pair, BT not recognized, nada. i have no interest in paying the cost to repair and replace the unit....BUT recently our MDX has died here and there randomly requiring jump starts alot more frequently.

AAA comes up jumps it and confirms the battery is in great shape too. now i read the article and BAM! i just signed up at the link provided above.

--
2009 MDX
Black on Black Sport with Entertainment
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djillusion View Post
holy shnikes! i just came across this thread and read the link.

this is crazy as our BT/HFL in our 2009 MDX hasn't worked for some time now. no way to pair, BT not recognized, nada. i have no interest in paying the cost to repair and replace the unit....BUT recently our MDX has died here and there randomly requiring jump starts alot more frequently.

AAA comes up jumps it and confirms the battery is in great shape too. now i read the article and BAM! i just signed up at the link provided above.
Make sure to disconnect it, if it isn't already. Otherwise it will strand you. The thing is active when it dies because it cooked it's solder on the circuit board which disconnects it's circuits. Totally flawed design.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017

Send a message via AIM to djillusion
how do you disconnect it? i hope that does not mean a trip to the dealer for them to charge me for the visit?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
how do you disconnect it? i hope that does not mean a trip to the dealer for them to charge me for the visit?
Open the armrest, pull hard on the rear console. It is held in with clips. Search here for better instructions "Bluetooth" or YouTube has videos too. It really takes a good tug. Then the module will be straight ahead little box screwed into rear of console. Pinch the release tab on big wire connector and pull out. Then you are done. Other posts show you how to "bake" the module to get the solder to reflow. Eventually it will overheat and desolder itself.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the stealership will charge (/rape) you approximately $232 to remove this HFL module for you.

Alternatively you can do it yourself for about 10 minutes or less of your time (no charge)- i did it a couple years ago by myself and I'm not mechanically inclined- quite the opposite in fact!!!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

thanks for the info!

So I purchased a 2007 MDx 2 weeks ago and my bluetooth fails to pair. Happy to find this thread to sign up for the lawsuit. in the mean time I called the local Acura dealership to order the new part and they quoted it $314. OUCH!! Does anyone have a good website to order the part? I can install it myself to save that moey. One website was around$220 but then wanted to charge $50 fee added to it plus shipping. By then I can purchase from my local dealer. Another thread posted about the part costing $180 but I was not able to find out where to find it at this price. THank you in advance!

I just unplugged my bluetooth module after battery issues. It sucked anyways. It didn't stream music and the quality was only good enough for talking while NOT moving. Not worth the $200 or $300 in my opinion unless it allows you to stream which I'm sure the head unit my not allow without some type of adapter which whacks away your XM option.

I left mine out. Will need to replace battery soon and AMA should give me a new one because I bought it from them 2 years ago. Would love to have the ability to phone but I don't use it enough anyways. Plus we have cameras also and that also drain the battery until a certain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith7120 View Post
I just unplugged my bluetooth module after battery issues. It sucked anyways. It didn't stream music and the quality was only good enough for talking while NOT moving. Not worth the $200 or $300 in my opinion unless it allows you to stream which I'm sure the head unit my not allow without some type of adapter which whacks away your XM option.
You can not use Bluetooth module from 2010-2013? I stream music via Bluetooth all the time with my 2011 mdx.

Come on Lawyers- wrap up this case already- I signed up months ago and most definitely want some of that settlement money from ACURA already (for the pain/agony/inconvenience apparently/knowingly caused by Acura via their use of cheap/faulty products comprising their sh**y HFL Bluetooth module in the 2007-2009 MDX models)!!!!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
You can not use Bluetooth module from 2010-2013? I stream music via Bluetooth all the time with my 2011 mdx.
I have a 2007 MDX and you can not stream music via bluetooth. I once had an 07 TL type S and it didn't stream either. However, I also had an 09 TL that did stream bluetooth but NO tags. I then had a 2013 TL which then showed the tags via bluetooth but only with my HTC phone. The samsungs didn't show tags. But anyways, I would assume the MDX started bluetooth streaming in 09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: