Not in Park, but key still comes out - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question Not in Park, but key still comes out

Hello,

We have a 2002 MDX. We got it used about 3 years ago, and never really noticed this particular issue. But recently we noticed that when parking the car, we can turn the ignition off, and take the key out. Except, the transmission is still in drive.

This first happened when my wife tried to start the MDX one morning, and it wouldn't start. I had to come home from work to bring my kid to school, then went back to the house to see what the deal was. I got in and tried to start it and nothing happened. But everything on the dash lit up, and the windows rolled up quickly, so it couldn't have been the battery. Then, I happened to look down, and noticed the shifter was still in Drive. I push it up into Park, and it cranked right up.

So I checked, and sure enough, after turning the engine off, the key can be taken right out while the shifter is in any position - including Park.

Shouldn't that NOT be the case? My Camry won't let the key come out until it's in Park, and every other car we've had did that too.

Which part affects this?

I did have to replace the brake-light interlock switch about 8 months ago when it went out one day affecting being able to take the shifter out of Park, and of course, the brake lights quit working too.

Is this similar? Is there a different interlock switch for removal of the key?

I tried searching for this issue, but kept getting hits on the shifter stuck in park or key not coming out. Our problem is the key comes out when it shouldn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

----------------------------
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

There was a recall for the ignition interlock, see if it wasn’t done. At worst you need a new lock cylinder, not horribly difficult to do.

2004 Slate Grey Pearl
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thanks. Looking up that recall, it looks like it's the problem I have, but the recall starts with the 2003 model year.

Just my luck. But I'll check anyway.

Again, thanks.

----------------------------
Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement