Question on a 2004 Model/Used - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Question on a 2004 Model/Used

Good evening all. I am looking for a solid daily driver to use for when I get a Challenger next year. I have located a 2004 MDX touring model. It has 140,000 miles. Leather interior. DVD player. Moon roof. Etc. Basically loaded.
Been trying to haggle with the dealer for a few days. They are asking $6990.00 for it. I offered $6000 out the door total with all fees and taxes etc.
What I am hoping to ask from you all is if its worth this cost and worth investing it. Been in the market for a few weeks and was looking at a Traverse but ran from it due to possible engine issues.
The MDX has new tires, new brakes, oil change, and filter(s).
Thank you for any help here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Make sure the timing belt was done if you decide to jump into it. As far as reliability goes, you won’t have any issues as long as you make sure the transmission is performing good. These vehicles are definitely built to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Think on the CarFax I do not see the timing belt done but a lot of other things have been. When I drove it, it seemed to shift fine. It rev'd up a little more than I'm used to before shifting.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Correction just went back through it and read that the timing belt was replaced at 103,000 along with the water pump and serpentine belt.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sounds like a good deal but work on the pricing as the vehicle is 15 years old. I have a 2004 MDX with 206K and I plan to sell it in the upcoming days as I upgraded to a 2016 model but my vehicle has been more than reliable.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

All the research I have done makes the vehicle around 5400-5500. Dealer is refusing and I walked away after offering $6000 for everything. They want mid to upper $6000's and they believe it will sell for more.
Just not sure how much of a gamblers worth so this is where all of you the professionals are to advise lol. Thank for you for the responses so far.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

in the past 4 years I have bought 2 2003 mdx's.one is the wifes daily driver and the 2nd is a spare fore when the 1st one dies.one was purchased for 800 bux while the 2nd was purchased for 400 bux.both are in great condition but also both needed transmission rebuilds.so imho 6k is way to steep for a car that will almost certainly need a transmission in the near future.keep looking for another mdx,the deals are out there.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

No problem! I would have offered you my MDX but you are too far from me.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

As a reference, I currently drive 2004 MDX with 279K miles on it with original transmission. The MDX has been great and it will last a long time along as it was maintained properly. When purchasing MDX, I would also check to see if radiator was replaced (you want to avoid "chocolate milk" where the connection between the transmission line and radiator failed, leaking coolant into the transmission).

Also check to see engine mounts has been replaced.

Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate buying first gen MDX.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

I sold my 246,000 mile '04 for $3800. It did have custom wheels and a whole lotta "extra maintenance" that I'd done over the years.

I'm agreeing that $6000 sounds on the high side for an '04 (I paid $7K for mine from a private party four years ago, with 160,000 miles).

But I'll also echo the comments about these cars being very reliable, at least as long as they get at least reasonable amounts of maintenance (particularly tranny fluid changes). I'd pull the tranny dipstick and take a look at the condition of the fluid - if it's still pretty much red (or at least "reddish-brown") without signs of metal particles, it's probably OK. If it's black-ish and stinky, there's a much higher likelihood of tranny problems in the future.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Very good decision to stay away from Taverse/acadia/ Buick version are all very unreliable. There is a gmc acadia in my family it had a failed transfer case $3000 and AC keeps failing costing thousands in repairs and it burns oil.

I got an 05 MDX in 2016 for $5500 fully loaded with 150k miles from a Honda dealer. They seem pretty flexible on price as I got them down from listed price of 6500 but it was sitting at their lot for a while. You could try waiting or calling and nagging them on the price which worked for me.

Overall I put on it 50k miles with lots of long diatabce drives and has been rock solid. Not a drop of fluids missing on 4000 mile trips is a winner in my book.
I did have a few repairs, a failed alternator, a window regulator quit working and previous owner messed up the threads on the oil bolt so new oil pan and a few small items like I replaced the rear a.c. Transistor for $20 and the navigation dvd drive failed so I sent it out to get repaired for $350 at Alpine in California. I did some maintenance items like all new fluids when I bought it and new spark plugs, new brake pads and rotors and struts and shocks all around I did myself as I live on a gravel road so it's normal with ant vehicle I own.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughey79 View Post
Think on the CarFax I do not see the timing belt done but a lot of other things have been. When I drove it, it seemed to shift fine. It rev'd up a little more than I'm used to before shifting.
They all do that. I still remember first time I drove my 2003 MDX 16 years ago. Especially in 1st and 2nd gear, that darn thing went up to 5-6k rpm before up-shifting. I thought that was super weird even back then when fuel economy was paramount. So that is not a sign of any tranny failures.

Sounds like your dealer wants 6k due to very low mileage of 140k. As you've just read, most have 250k+. Someone in my local area is selling a 2002 with 180k for $900!

Hmm... Maybe there are some issues, really great price...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement