Problem with D5, D4 and D3 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Exclamation Problem with D5, D4 and D3

Hi there. I've bought 04 acura mdx with 151k miles few months ago. Sometimes the gear was not engaging in D5 (RPMs were going up but in sounded like in was in neutral) and in was doing it like 10-20% of the time. I have changed the transmission fluid few days ago and now it shifts very smooth but D5 doesn't engage in like 50% of the time. I have tried driving it in D4 and it was working perfect for a couple of days but now it does the same thing in D4 and D3 as in D5. Anybody knows what it might be? Thank you for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Best guess is the transmission fluid was ignored for a period of time and that allowed varnish to build up on internal components (shift valves, etc.) which makes them sticky and causes late or missed shifts. You don't say what your fluid change method was, whether a single drain/fill, multi drain/fill, or if you disconnected cooler lines to cycle in completely new fluid. The transmission capacity is about 8.3 qts and a single drain/fill replaces about 3.3 qts of that. The theory on new fluid in a varnished up trans is that larger chunks of varnish break loose and cause these random/sometimes more frequent late or missed shifts. When dealing with an ignored transmission it is generally recommended to do multiple drain/fills driving several thousand miles between each one to let the new additives in the fluid work slowly rather than aggressively. It sounds like you ended up with the latter. Many shops refuse to service high mileage transmissions with fluid that is in really poor condition for exactly the issue you have encountered because the customer returns to the shop insisting that they "ruined" their transmission when the damage was already done.

There are two ways to proceed from here. Either a complete tear down and rebuild cleaning all these components in the process, or if you are in a position to baby it while letting the additives in the new fluid continue to work on cleaning the troubled components it may over time works it's way out of it. Honda is very adamant about not flushing their transmissions, but IMO that would be on table to try with the understanding that you may be facing a rebuild anyway and giving it a good chemical flush may save you that trouble and if it doesn't you proceed with the rebuild anyway.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

It was done in the shop. They said they drained 3.5 qts and refilled with 3.5 qts and than again drained 3.5 qts and refilled with 3.5 qts for a total of 7 qts.

Does it makes sense for me to take it to Autozone and see it if will give me a code on one of them obd2 devices?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

The codes could very likely help. It is quite possible that the fix will involve replacing an "external" component - the most common being shift solenoids or pressure switches. They're not horribly expensive, or really all that difficult to replace, but it's painful to just shotgun the problem... always better to use the OBD diagnosis if it's available.

FWIW, I had good luck using LubeGard Platinum additive to another Honda transmission (in an Odyssey, but it's very similar to our MDX tranny). A few drain-and-fills, and some LubeGard - and it was shifting fine again. I DID end up replacing some shift solenoids as well, but found that the LubeGard did seem to fix some issues that the solenoids didn't.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

One would think that there would be some lights flashing D5 or engine light at least? Definitely get it scanned ,better yet buy a scanner as it will save you time and the age of vehicle means you are more likely to see more codes in the future.

As Happy stated trans oil replacement and probably some sensors are in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: