Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

struts and strut kits

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  69OldsVista 
#1 ·
Hi

Has anyone recently done front struts?
strut kits have heavily mixed reviews. And I don't mean no-name. Even Monroe makes them although they don't manufacture coils or bearings so they must be using 3rd party

Thanks

#2 ·
I recently replaced my rear shocks with KYB from Amazon and front pre-assembled struts/shocks from 1aAuto through eBay. So far no issues and it runs nice and smooth. It was a bit harsh at first but it smoothed out over the 2-3k miles since I replaced them.

I also replace the front sway bar end links at the same time and I am thankful I did that as the screw that holds the sway bar ends to the strut/shock was rusted on and would need a torch or something to get it off but the bottom screw was super easy to take off. I removed the strut with the end link attached I got the sway bar end links from a different company on eBay but don't remember the name.

If you plan to do the work yourself just know that the front assembly is pretty heavy so you might need a second perosn, one to hold the struts in place and the other to screw in the top 3 bolts under the hood.

#12 ·
I recently replaced my rear shocks with KYB from Amazon and front pre-assembled struts/shocks from 1aAuto through eBay. So far no issues and it runs nice and smooth. It was a bit harsh at first but it smoothed out over the 2-3k miles since I replaced them.

I also replace the front sway bar end links at the same time and I am thankful I did that as the screw that holds the sway bar ends to the strut/shock was rusted on and would need a torch or something to get it off but the bottom screw was super easy to take off. I removed the strut with the end link attached I got the sway bar end links from a different company on eBay but don't remember the name.

If you plan to do the work yourself just know that the front assembly is pretty heavy so you might need a second perosn, one to hold the struts in place and the other to screw in the top 3 bolts under the hood.
How are your struts holding up? How many miles have you put on it? I am thinking about going with the 1A auto struts and was wondering about your experience. Thanks

#3 ·
The "fully loaded" struts are a good choice for lots of people, though I personally prefer to re-use the original springs for a few reasons. First, it costs a lot less. Second, you won't be making any unintended changes to the ride height or spring rate of the front of the car. And third, you can make cheap springs, or you can make good springs, and I don't know which choice the manufacturer made on any given strut (though super-low pricing will tend to indicate). Swapping the springs over is an "interesting process" - it's not really that difficult, though it requires a certain amount of mechanical ability and common sense to avoid problems (or even injury if you really do it wrong).

I always look for legitimate brands when buying shocks and struts (like KYB or Bilstein), which gives me a better chance of a good outcome. IIRC, I had KYB front and back on my MDX, and I was very happy with the results, even though I didn't feel there was anything really wrong with the way the car rode prior to the replacement. Even so, I noticed a real change in the "feel" of the way the front communicated bumps with the new struts (can't say I felt much, if any difference after swapping out the rear shocks).

One thing I'd add is to make sure to change the strut mounts as well - worn strut mounts can cause all sorts of annoying things that can negate all the work you're doing to make the car ride better.

OK, two things... be sure to get an alignment done after swapping out the struts. It will change the alignment, and can cause other issues, including rapid (and expensive) tire wear.

#4 ·
Guess Ill be giving it a go this weekend, front drivers side was normal on the way to work...now sounds like a big monkey with small hammer in there.
Kyb struts, my springs, and new mounts from somewhere...
Summit has the kyb's at 103.xx
Mounts at a local store are 50, hope not each...

#7 ·
Leaning that direction...wish they didnt twist the knife with outrageous shipping.
Id be ok with 100, but its 100, and wait 2 weeks. Thats in addition to more than doubling the parts cost.

#8 ·
Honda (Acura) doesn't actually build shocks or struts, but almost certainly buy them from another supplier. I always just buy my struts and shocks from quality suppliers, like KYB or Bilstein, and feel that the quality was as good or better than OEM (and of course, they're usually quite a bit less money). I'll normally buy a mid-mileage car and replace all the suspension components (struts, shocks, control arms, ball joints, tie rods) so that it feels like a new car again... then I drive it 70-90,000 miles enjoying the "new car ride", but without the horrific car payment. ;-)

#9 ·
Of course they dont, but they picked a certain one. And i want that one, not 'oem quality'. Ive read a bunch of reviews, not bad, but colored by the guy giving 1 star because they dont work in his Ads model.
Unfortunately, idiots opinions count.
For shocks, i want Acura's opinion.

#10 ·
I did my struts in August last year - much easier than I expected; I also changed out the lower control arms and sway bar links, as I was already 'down there', and an outer tie rod after one 'disconnected' as I pulled into my drive! I cannot find my post on it, though I was sure I did post on it, but I seem to recall being done in a half or day or less.

I purchased the struts from AM Autoparts, and the rest from 1A auto - reasonable prices for everything.

Habby is completely right - get that alignment done ASAP afterwards - don't delay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.