Turn Signal Won't Cancel - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017 Thread Starter

Turn Signal Won't Cancel

Have a 2006 MDX and the turn signal will no longer cancel. It operates fine, but where normally you'd hear the clicks as your turn the wheel it no longer clicks, and no longer cancels.

I replaced the switch, assuming that was the issue but it was not.

Does anyone have any idea the part that engages the switch to cancel? I'm having a hard time finding a parts breakdown of this assembly or what I even need to order to correct this.

I see there is a 'the part' that both the wiper switch and bllnker switch plug into, but don't know a name or part number. Or could there be actual tabs that have broken from the steering column? Clock spring?

Any advice is apprecaited.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017

I couldn't find any reference in the manual, but there has to be some sort of tab on the steering column that pushes something in the switch to cancel the turn signal. It would seem that a bad alignment of the switch assembly on the column might make the theoretical tab miss its target, but otherwise I'm betting "something broke". I can only guess it would be pretty obvious, but only after you tore pretty much everything off the column.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017 Thread Starter

After some more digging I noticed a few things.

1) There is a "ring" that is part of the wiper / blinker switch assembly. That ring is not rotating with the wheel. I cannot tell how it connects to teh steering column, but it's loose and spins freely.

This is a picture of the part, the white ring can be seen in this photo. Does anyone know what Part # or what this part is called? I can't find it anywhere except on Ebay used where it's referred to as a combo-switch, other times it's included with the clockspring (although this is NOT the clockspring).

2) I'm assuming the ring itself is not replacable, and that entire assembly with the wiper stalk and turn signal satlk needs to be replaced. But again I can't find a diagram.

Here is a video of the actual car showing the problem - this ring shoudl turn in sync with the wheel, but it does not:

Any help or parts diagram would be super helpful! (2006 MDX). - guessing it's same in 04,05 too.

Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017 Thread Starter

This is good for the record I guess, but I've found the part number.

It's referred to as "Switch Housing" or "Combination Switch Assembly".

The part # Is Acura OEM Part Number 35251-S3V-A03

Thanks!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019

did you ever get that issue fixed? And is there a tutorial
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019

I purchased this unit from Ebay for $45. I used my oown directional and light switch, and put a lil dielectric grease on all moving parts.
Work like new again.
Disassembled old unit and fell apart in way too many pieces...
Happy camper for now. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mdx steering.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	108996  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago

https://youtu.be/R20kiVwtaMs
I am trying this method and ordered a part from my O’Riley store.

I opened the old one and found burn marks of a short. Trying to figure out why it shorted. I hope the new one will arrive tomorrow to finally fix it.
How do I add photos here?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago

Burned contacts don't always indicate a problem outside the switch. If the switch contacts get grungy and have higher-than-normal resistance, it creates heat. If there's enough heat created, it starts melting the plastic parts around the contacts, which causes more resistance, which causes more heat, and eventually it falls apart and stops working. Yes, if there is a short in the turn signal circuit itself it can also overload the switch contacts and result in a similar failure, but since there's a fuse inline that's rated for just a bit more than the circuit normally draws, this shouldn't be an issue.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago

Adding photos of bad switch for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	718.6 KB
ID:	109732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	766.1 KB
ID:	109734   Click image for larger version