Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement

24K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  habbyguy 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2006 MDX, and a p0344 error code after being stranded and a bunch of other mess I won't get into. I have a mechanic friend who was with me through it all, and he thinks that a bad camshaft sensor is the most logical issue. The code P0344= Camshaft Position sensor A Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor.

I know it could be timing issue or a crankshaft sensor as well, but I want to start with the camshaft sensor.

The problem I have is I cannot find anything online anywhere as to exactly how to locate or even replace the camshaft sensor on an 06 mdx. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

#2 ·
what other issues did you have? Sometimes the A/C drain can back up due to the drain tube being clogged and drip water on the ECU of the car.

This is the sensor part no:
37840-PGE-A11

Honda uses the same part and can be found for less than $62

Its found on the top side of the timing cover:

Part no 21:

#3 ·
Thanks for the Response.

I've had an engine rattle in my car for a while now, but nonoticeable symptoms, lights, power loss, or anything like that. If I take the rpm upto about 2500 the rattle is gone and the engine sounds fine. I took it to ashop to have them diagnose and they told me it was the power steeringpump. I tested it myself after and it wasn't. I'm glad I didn'thave them replace it. Anyway, I had to go on a trip and since the car hadbeen fine up to this point I wasn't really worried.

On the way home from my trip the check engine light came onwhich disengaged the all wheel drive. My bluetooth odb stopped working soI couldn't pull the code right away. Anyway, I cleared the code bypulling the negative and after that the car wouldn't start. I ended upflooding it or something, and luckily the people I was traveling with helped metow it back to my house.

When I finally had time to work on it at home, it wouldn'tstart. It would turn over and die immediately. There were no errorcodes or anything. Finally I decided to give it gas right when it turnedover and after about 5 attempts it started, but the rattle was pretty bad andthe rpm was a bit crazy. This is finally when it threw the camshaftsensor code. Eventually it got to where I could give it gas and get atthe 2500-3000 rpm mark and the engine rattle disappears. If I take myfoot off the gas too quick it kills it, but if i let it down slowly it willidle just not well.

I'm certainly no mechanic, but my friend seemed to think acamshaft or crankshaft sensor made the most sense. I'm being optimisticthat it's just the sensor and not the timing all messed up.

On that diagram, it looks like the sensor is on the back ofthe timing cover. Do you think I have to take off the timing belt andeverything to get to it? I hope not, because that's a lot out of mywheelhouse.

Thank You

#4 ·
Thanks for the Response.

I've had an engine rattle in my car for a while now, but nonoticeable symptoms, lights, or anything like that. If I take the rpm upto about 2500 the rattle is gone and the engine sounds fine. I took it to ashop to have them diagnose and they told me it was the power steeringpump. I tested it myself after and it wasn't. I'm glad I didn'thave them replace it. Anyway, I had to go on a trip and since the car hadbeen fine up to this point I wasn't really worried.

On the way home from my trip the check engine light came onwhich disengaged the all wheel drive. My bluetooth odb stopped working soI couldn't pull the code right away. Anyway, I cleared the code bypulling the negative and after that the car wouldn't start. I ended upflooding it or something, and luckily the people I was traveling with helped metow it back to my house.

When I finally had time to work on it at home, it wouldn'tstart. It would turn over and die immediately. There were no errorcodes or anything. Finally I decided to give it gas right when it turnedover and after about 5 attempts it started, but the rattle was pretty bad andthe rpm was a bit crazy. This is finally when it threw the camshaftsensor code. Eventually it got to where I could give it gas and get atthe 2500-3000 rpm mark and the engine rattle disappears. If I take myfoot off the gas too quick it kills it, but if i let it down slowly it willidle just not well.

I'm certainly no mechanic, but my friend seemed to think acamshaft or crankshaft sensor made the most sense. I'm being optimisticthat it's just the sensor and not the timing all messed up.

On that diagram, it looks like the sensor is on the back ofthe timing cover. Do you think I have to take off the timing belt andeverything to get to it? I hope not, because that's a lot out of mywheelhouse.

Thank You

#5 ·
P0344 is intermittent fault in camshaft position sensor (CMP) circuit. Fault can be sensor, connector, wiring, or PCM. Check first for loose connection or damaged wiring since CMP replacement requires timing belt removal and camshaft sprocket removal. See attached file.

good luck

Attachments

Reactions: oceanNYC
#6 ·
I'm having the same P0344 error code on 2007 MDX (Camshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption) on bank 1, but this happened next day AFTER I had a friend mechanics replace the timing belt+water pump+pulleys+tension (Aisin kit on Amazon, but with gates belt which apparently fit better than Mitsobishi), also refilled the AC Freon as it was low ( read someone mention possible AC drip on electronic ? ran AC for while to check it was cold now).

When he originally install and started the car all is out of wack and messed up the cam timing (apparently something shifted when he put belt back on). couple hours later to redo, he said everything was smooth. too car home (drove normally on highway/city) but at stop light I noticed slight vibration on pedal when stopped (new). Next morning I start engine and get engine light come on and P0344 error code. he told me to clear and re-start and it came right back up. Drove to shop (car drove normally, no low rpm vibration either). he unplugged and re-plugged sensor and I went home. Next morning (cold start, little rough) and same error is back!

I don't think it's a coincidence. Could he have caused an issue when cam timing was originally off ? he said the engine piston/cam didn't collide as he was able to rotate them by hand and was free/no contact (3.7 vtec). I read these possibilities:

* Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor
* Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted
* Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection Faulty
* starter motor Starting system circuit
* Dead (Weak) battery

with him initially messing up the timing belt (and dropping water pump liquide out) what's the most likely cause and fix ?
thank you!

#7 ·
First thing I'd check (and re-check) is that the timing is spot on. I'm not sure if a cam gear being a tooth off would cause that error though.

It's hard to see how changing a timing belt could mess up the sensor otherwise. It's shielded behind the cam pulley, and would be under a lot less stress with your mech buddy moving the pulley around than when the engine was running (moving it at warp speed with explosive gasses). ;-)

Check that timing...

#8 ·
This is why doing it yourself is always a good thing as apposed to having a friend do it! It only takes one tooth of timing belt to be off for things to get messed up. If one looks at the honda pilot video they show the importance of lashing down the belt to the cam gears and discuss the importance of Not being off a tooth for a reason and how the slightest movement can cause the gears to shift and bingo your off!. So As stated revisit the timing belt marks pull the two cam covers and make sure that the marks line up with TDC on the balancer. You can be off a tooth and the valve not hit the piston while turning over by hand, so yes recheck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.