2016 MDX prices paid - Page 2 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Rather than saying what amount they got off, people should post what trim and what they actually paid, less tax and tags.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hopefully this helps someone. Bought the 2016 AWD Tech in the Bay Area yesterday:

MSRP: $50,210
Price Paid: $46,200+TTL
OTD: $50,914.

Overall, a nice experience at the dealership - Acura of Pleasanton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrd View Post
^ sounds like a decent deal.

FYI "invoice" isn't what the dealer paid but more along the lines of "lowest price they would really let it go for and all parties are paid". Sometimes they go below "invoice" as they're still making money.
Correct. Dealers still make money selling below invoice. They don't like it when you know that. They really don't like it when you ask them to triple-net it out. That's an industry slang term (there are others too that mean the same thing) for what they actually need to break-even. Worst they can do is not sell you a vehicle, but that's not what they are in the business of doing. Find a dealer who is more concerned with volume over individual vehicles and you'll find your best deal.

I never buy new, but I was able to help my father-in-law on his last purchase. Paid $500 over the triple net price, which was far below invoice. That dealer only wants to move as many cars as humanly possible.

Everyone should work in the car business at some point in their life. The experience will pay for itself over time. You also learn that there aren't any honest dealers lol. I was a car wholesaler for 3 years.

2002 Base MDX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Grand Caravan company car
2006 Stratos 185 Pro XL 150 Mercury Optimax
(2) 1939 Buick Specials

ono

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosman View Post
Paid $500 over the triple net price, which was far below invoice.
Can you share a bit of knowledge? What is triple net price? How is it calculated, etc.? Any hints on how to find a "volume" dealer? What is far below invoice?

Thanks.

The dealer price is not the factory invoice price. The dealer's actual net cost of the car is usually much less, made up of 3 parts (thus the triple net term). You take the invoice, then subtract what they get back from the manufacturer when that vehicle sells (built in profit for the dealer when they sell it) and also subtract any ongoing factory to dealer incentives. Of course there is usually no way to know exactly what those figures are, but it's fairly safe to assume it's a few thousand dollars. Honda does it different too, and they build in dealer option package incentives too, but I'm not familiar with how that exactly works. I think it means with Hondas there is more profit built in.

You don't have to know the exact numbers though. As long as you know the invoice, and mention the rest, the price will drop most of the time (depending on the desire to move the car you are looking at). You can also ask which one they "need" to sell. It might not have one option you want, or not be your #1 color choice, but often 2 basically identical cars can be had for very different prices.

It can also be hard to identify the high volume dealers, but a few signs are: the dealers who have the obnoxious advertisements, dealers with a multitude of brands, and dealers with longer hours. Of course those are fairly common sense, and standalone Acura dealers are typically not high volume dealers in the meaning that they are all about numbers of cars sold instead of profit per car.

2002 Base MDX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Grand Caravan company car
2006 Stratos 185 Pro XL 150 Mercury Optimax
(2) 1939 Buick Specials
ono

Thanks for the very helpful summary.

Those Honda programs (and other OEMs use them) are called stair step programs. As dealers sell more cars, they hit triggers for larger rebates from the OEM back to dealers each month. For example, $500 per car for the first 100 sold, then $750 if they sell 101 to 150, $1000 151 to 175, etc. etc. I had read that many OEMs are trying to move away from such programs because it does not create fair pricing competition among dealers. Some dealers would pass that rebate onto customers to increase volume, others would pocket it...etc etc. I read Automotive News, which is an industry publication and have learned a lot about the business.

2019 MDX SH-AWD Tech (Mine)
2017 RDX Advance AWD (Wife's)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited (Daughter's)

thanks, very helpful information
do you have a trade in and whether convenient to give the salesman name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alam86 View Post
Hopefully this helps someone. Bought the 2016 AWD Tech in the Bay Area yesterday:

MSRP: $50,210
Price Paid: $46,200+TTL
OTD: $50,914.

Overall, a nice experience at the dealership - Acura of Pleasanton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unspeakable View Post
thanks, very helpful information
do you have a trade in and whether convenient to give the salesman name?
Yeah - I did have a trade in. A Civic Hybrid with ~178K miles. The trade in price is not included in the prices above. What I posted above was just the 2016 car price. What I paid was that minus the trade-in price.

The sales person was Stephen L. Great, straightforward guy.

hi, Alam,

congrat, you did get a very good price on the 2016 mdx, really wonder whether you get a good or fair price on your trade in, would you mind to share a little more on the trade in? and any other accessory or service you buy or get free?

thanks

Quote:
Yeah - I did have a trade in. A Civic Hybrid with ~178K miles. The trade in price is not included in the prices above. What I posted above was just the 2016 car price. What I paid was that minus the trade-in price.

I bought a 2016 MDX AWD with Tech package for $46,500, that's about $3,700 off from the $50,210 MSRP ($49,290 + $920 destination charge). I also had a trade in so that might have helped get the price.

The stipulation was I had to take one of the MDX in stock, he had the black/black I wanted so it wasn't a stipulation to me at all.

Anybody know what the price the dealer pays is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddriver View Post
hi, Alam,

congrat, you did get a very good price on the 2016 mdx, really wonder whether you get a good or fair price on your trade in, would you mind to share a little more on the trade in? and any other accessory or service you buy or get free?

thanks

Quote:

Hi gooddriver,

I traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid with 178k miles and the famous IMA battery problem. Got $2600 for it - right around the trade in value for a good car.

Wow, so you get a good car value even though you have the IMA battery problem with the car? you must keep your car in very good shape, since 178K is also a lot for a CVT.

you are amazing, get good deal on both new car and trade in!
did you buy any extra accessory or service?

Quote:
Hi gooddriver,

I traded in a 2005 Civic Hybrid with 178k miles and the famous IMA battery problem. Got $2600 for it - right around the trade in value for a good car.

Thanks gooddriver!! Makes me feel good now

My car was in decent shape, although I wouldn't say it was in great shape. Had the IMA and Check Engine lights on. This was about 2 weeks ago, when these 2016 cars were still pretty new. I'm guessing they were motivated to sell

Hi All,
Brand new to the forum but former acura owner. We're looking to pick up a 15 tech awd. Been going back and forth with dealers and landed on a price of 44,500 plus 300 doc fee and 300 tax (SC). I think I can get some accessories thrown in, but still not sure this is a good deal. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get a better price? Was looking to buy an advance model but don't know if its worth the extra 6k or more. Thanks for the help and love the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: