MSRP discount - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019 Thread Starter

MSRP discount

I'm going to lease a 2019 sh-awd advanced w/entertainment, msrp 60k, incentives $3600 (according to [email protected]). How much more of a discount can I expect from negotiating/shopping around?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019

With more than 30 years in and around the industry this is how I would do it. First, I would shop every dealers website within the radius I would be willing to drive to in order to purchase. Most if not all dealers today are in the mode of making sure they will have a competitive price posted. From there I would use the website TrueCar and compare it to what I am seeing on the dealers sites and use the lowest price to set as my highest target price. I always try the hardest to buy the car from the dealer that will be the most convenient for service, but know that the dealer that has the exact car in stock that you want will always have a fairly significant advantage on pricing because of the cost to trade for the car you want if they don't have it in stock.

Occasionally lightening will strike and you will be in the right place at the right time (typically near month or quarter end) when the dealer is only one or two cars away from a significant volume target that is worth a large bonus to them. Let's say that bonus is $20,000 and they make the decision to "lose" $5,000 on one car sale to gain the $20,000 bonus. If you get lucky that one sale is you which is why once in a blue moon somebody will post a price paid that makes zero sense, but in today's age "dealer invoice" almost means nothing anymore and deals are rotuinely done at 5-10% under invoice. Also, there are two distinct types of incentives that are usually model specific. "Consumer" incentives are the published incentives readily known to buyers and "dealer incentives" are usually only known to the dealer, but do reduce the true dealer cost of the car and can be used to lower the selling price if the dealer chooses to. Also, don't forget that ultimately this all boils out into the lease payment, so look at the lowest advertised lease payment and the fine print for "total due at signing". Remember that in most cases there is a state sales tax that applies to the monthly payment and will be added beyond the advertised payment. They can't quote the tax in the payment until they know your zip code because sometimes there are county or municipal taxes involved too. Good luck!

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019

Negotiate the price as if you were going to purchase the car. The incentive you mentioned is a dealer incentive for leasing. There is also a dealer purchase incentive, which I believe is $650. The dealer will say they have included the $650, but you should be able to negotiate the difference. So after you are happy with purchase price. Have them plug that number, reduced by the lease incentive, into the lease deal as the Capitalized Cost. Money factor and residual are fixed, which you received from the Edmunds site. You can also price the car on the Edmunds site and they have an estimate of what purchase pricing should be. Good luck.

2017 MDX Advance, White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
2007 Lexus LS460
2013 Lexus ES300h
2000 Chevy Silverado 2500
Previous MDXs: 2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement