Used dealership negotiation strategies - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016 Thread Starter

Used dealership negotiation strategies

I searched but didnt not find many threada on this.

Ive been in the market some time, but I've historically been frugal and a bargain bin hunter, my last two cars were 7 years old, and my mdx had 117k miles on it, but i got it for $6k. But now im older and making decent money, I've come to terms of spending a little more for something nicer. I'm bumping my budget to mid $30k targeting a 3rd gen mdx advance. The only places are dealerships, and i just wanted to gather some strategies from the communities and hopefully other people can gain from the strategies as well.

Here's what my research has given me so far:
1) always speak to someone, Internet/email communications are often dismissed. Also,online prices are often non negotiable, so don't get offended if you're ignored

2) bring along a print out of competitive listings, ideally a lower priced one.

3) do not sit patiently inthe chair when they pull the "wait here, let me talk to my manager" line, it shows you're controllable. (Not sure how strong this move is, but lots of people say this)

4) if they don't meet your offer, pull the, , well we are going to look at another place, if you change your mind, give me a call."

5) a friend of mind brought a 6k bank check with him to show he meant business.

6) my personal strategy is ask for an all in price including taxes and fees so that they don't give you your lower price but then get it back with ridiculous or made up hidden fees. And use this on your final all in price negotiation

7) get a pre approval from a bank, bc dealerships will try to fleece you with their own rates.

8) dont every mention Trade in, they'll use this against you.

9) nick pick every imperfection but with out being obnoxious

That's all i have, do you folks have any other lines you guys know of that work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016 Thread Starter

Oh one more, i heard never ever ever waste time on insurance or other add ons with them
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016

you are ditto me. I'm also looking a MDX third generation Advance with Ent. internet price was 36.5k. The car is in a very good condition will all bells and whistles. I have asked them 30k to start with and can go until 33k. But, the salesman is not comfortable when I said 30k. he said by maximum will reduce couple of hundreds. Disappointed and came back.

Do you think he will call me back. I really interested on it, but hesitant to buy the internet listed price. it has 38.6k miles on it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016 Thread Starter

Haha, we probably looked at the same one. Seems car dealerships are not as desperate when the economy is 'good' so they dont seem to be too desperate for a sale or to bring back internet customers. At least he did say he would reduce, which is more than 50% of the online postings I reached out to. Most just ignored me or gave me some pre-canned email asking me to come in.

What I learned in the past few weeks of haggling is that salesmans do want you to come in to the dealership, and that's when they will give the greenlight to start haggling and talking price.

I would print out a similar car that is much cheaper and use that to fish them down to your price, chat for a while, make them feel like they are wheeling you in, humour them a bit, and when they say they cant meet your price, even after they pull the 'let me talk to my manager' bit, you do the ok well call me if you change your mind, I'm going to go back this other dealership and talk to them.

Oh, one more thing is to ask for the 'out the door' price in the beginning, so that they dont say ok, we'll we'll meet you at this price, but then eat back those savings with hidden fees.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. I'm going to wait a few more weeks/months and see if prices cool down in Q4.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016

Sure, will keep you posted. I will also wait for few weeks if he calls me I may be reasonable to him. Based on your investigation what would be the fair price for a 2014 MDX AWD Adv + Ent with 40k miles on it. My research shows that 36k is a fair price.

What do you think ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016 Thread Starter

Based on what I've seen the past few months, it ranges from $36-40k The $36k tend to have more than 20k miles per year and the ones closer to 40k tend to have about 10k per year. I can't say if $36k is a fair price, bc u could get something with hidden problems. You never know unless your a mechanic, and even then, things could always happen down the road. Right now looks like $36k is the lowest they advertise, maybe u can squeeze a few hundred out of them if they become desperate. Tim from HondaPlanet says the magic number is 45 days, once a car is on the lot for 45 days, dealers get antsy to get rid of it. So that also factors into how much they will budge on price.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: