How much under is your initial offer on Used Car sticker price - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter

How much under is your initial offer on Used Car sticker price

I see a 2012 MDX Advance & Ent for $25.8k wtih 66k miles on it. Clean car fax history.

Frankly, this is the best price for the best condition car (at least according to its one owner, no accident, well maintained, most likely highway miles, car fax). Most other MDX's in this condition and year have gone for about $26.6k and up.

My question, generally speaking or specific to this situation, is how much below sticker do you come in at? I honestly would come in at $25k even until I started reading articles that I could even come in 15-20% lower, which woudl be $20-22k and work my way up.

For this situationa and after reading all the tips/strategies, I'm thinking of coming at at $22k (from its $25.8 asking price) and have a walk away price ceiling of 23k, which is 10% below ask. Is that fair/reasonable?

Honestly, if i showed my cards, this package combo of advance/ent is a rare find, but its being sold at a non acura dealership, so my hope is they do not know how rare this is, but if they do, I'm afraid I may lose out over a few hundred bucks. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016

It sounds fair to me. I know people with gumption who would start at an even 20 and talk a really good game. Some of them would actually get it for well under the 25 ceiling AND a sales job offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016 Thread Starter

Really 20k? That sounds gutsy. I mean If it was a common MDX w Tech package which seems to be a dime a dozen, I would play hardball, but with this advance and entertainment package, theres only about 6 in the 200 mile radius, and a most of them have dubious car fax histories.

I wish I had that gumption, but I'm more of a forest gump (see what I did there?) But given this new knowledge, I might comfortably come in at 21,800k.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016

You need to determine as best you can what the car is worth. From your comment about comparable vehicles going for 26.6k+, it sounds like it very well may be worth 25k or more. If so, it makes no sense to have a walkaway price of 23k. Chances are that at a non-Acura dealer you can get a better price than at an Acura dealer. In 2007 I bought an 05 MDX at a GMC dealer (had been traded for a Yukon) for less than I could have bought an 04 with more mileage at the Acura dealer.

This dealer is not looking at how rare the combination might be. They are looking at how much money they can make given what they gave for the car. I have seen used MDXs offered at non-Acura dealers only to be acquired by the Acura dealer and sold for a higher price. Offer 21.8k or 22k. Key is when your offer is rejected and you ask how close they can get to your number, what they come back with. You can counter and go from there. If you really want the vehicle, you can always rationalize that a thousand dollars spread over the time you will have the car is not very much.

2017 MDX Advance, White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
2015 Mercedes S550
2019 Lexus ES300h
2000 Chevy Silverado 2500
Previous MDXs: 2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasjr View Post
You need to determine as best you can what the car is worth. From your comment about comparable vehicles going for 26.6k+, it sounds like it very well may be worth 25k or more. If so, it makes no sense to have a walkaway price of 23k. Chances are that at a non-Acura dealer you can get a better price than at an Acura dealer. In 2007 I bought an 05 MDX at a GMC dealer (had been traded for a Yukon) for less than I could have bought an 04 with more mileage at the Acura dealer.

This dealer is not looking at how rare the combination might be. They are looking at how much money they can make given what they gave for the car. I have seen used MDXs offered at non-Acura dealers only to be acquired by the Acura dealer and sold for a higher price. Offer 21.8k or 22k. Key is when your offer is rejected and you ask how close they can get to your number, what they come back with. You can counter and go from there. If you really want the vehicle, you can always rationalize that a thousand dollars spread over the time you will have the car is not very much.
Very good point Wasjr. Thank you. I think the car is definitely worth 25k, but then again, now that I know the 'known secret' that dealers build in a 15-20% profit from their purchase price, then shaving off half of that isn't that crazy of a tactic. Def think I will come in at 21-22k and see where the price ping pongs and ultimately ends up. Thanks again. CHeers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement