Do you really get 17 -22 mpg's? - Page 7 - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread

The only time I seem to pay attention to mileage is on road trips. I use cruise control and typically drive around 75 mph on the interstate and my 05 consistently gets between 22 & 23 mpg. I switched to 87 octane gas a few months ago and have seen no reduction in mpg. The last two weekends I have been on the road to college football games and there is a major gas shortage in our area so to conserve gas I reduced my speed to around 68, and my mpg went up to above 25.

2017 MDX Advance, White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
2015 Mercedes S550
2019 Lexus ES300h
2000 Chevy Silverado 2500
Previous MDXs: 2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally posted by sbilla
i have 07 model, i am getting 16 mpg for higher octane, is there any reason why most people are using high octane gas?
Yes, it is recommended by the manufacturer as this motor has a higher compression ratio than before

2007 MDX Tech/Ent Nimbus Gray/Taupe
2005 Honda Accord V6 Redondo Red

1st tank of gas was 17.4 mpg with a mix of city and highway.

low mpg for short in-town trips is normal and not just for the MDX. The engine needs to reach a certain temperature before oxygen sensors start working properly to calculate correct exhaust/oxygen ratio and provide feedback to the computer to determine the most economical amount of gas to inject and air to intake. Until then the gas is injected at pretty much the maximum - so, if your trips are 1-3 miles then you will burn a lot fo gas. Other things I read here like tires properly inflated and not stepping on the gas too much will also contribute but you still won't get much more then 12mpg if your trips are 2 mile.

I live in Queens, NY where pretty much every street is a stop sign or a stop light and my mileage in city was horrendous. I got about 8-11 mpg. I thought something was wrong, but I was able to maintain 24-25mpg on highway coming from Long Island which is about a 25 minute drive using the coasting technique. Whenever my speed reachs mid or upper 60's I let it coast back down to 60 and then slowly accelerate back. It seems to help a lot.

But still, local driving is horrendous.

I live in Brooklyn, also stop and go, same as Queens, I get 13.5mpg and it's 75% city, 25% highway.

99% CITY ...17-18mpg steady both by hand calculations and trip comp. ....are you people all lead foot or something ? ...I get around 340-350 miles per tank ...and that's with the gas light not on ..just as it turns on I stop and refill. So there is still gas in there and I never take over 19 gallons to fill.....so simple quick calculation and being pesimistic and saying i used 20 gallons although i know i didn't ...that's 17mpg...and in the best case 18.4mpg ....I sometimes get the 18.2mpg ....but mostly I hover 17.5-18mpg

So back to what I asked ....do you all have lead feet ?????!!

2007 Sport MDX Aspen White Pearl & Bordeaux
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Exterior Accessories: Paint Protection, Wheel Locks, Sport Running Boards, Body Side Molding, Roof Rails, Front & Rear Garnish, Tow Package, Fender Flares, HID Foglights, SMT LED Lights
Interior Accessories: Leather Protection, All-Season Floor Mats, Tri-Fold Cargo Tray, Cargo Liner, Cargo Net, Limo Tint, SMT LED Lights, Remote Start (1 mile), Camera Link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

kingmdx, cities are different, if you ever drive in New York City then it's stop and go even with no traffic because of the lights and stop signs and you never ever get more then 2-3 straight green lights and blocks are short. I see you are from Michigan, so your city may be more like a highway to me

My trips are also a few miles and as I mentioned in an earlier post, the car isn't at its optimal gas-to-air ratio if your trips are that short. No, I actually go easy on the gas pedal. I think this is normal, it all depends on your specific rides. I used to get the same mileage on a Maxima, which was supposed to be 20-28 by the book but was actually 13 city for me and 28 highway as the book said.

I have been tracking my mileage well. I have never seen under 16.5 in worst cases as well.

You can see my mileage here:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/kalyanakrishna/mdx

No, I am not trying to promote the site, but I like it. It helps me track the stuff.

Lightbulb Went from 11 MPG AVG to 20 MPG AVG

I owned the car for two weeks and wondered if I was duped because 11 mpg avg was absolutely horrendous. I thought this particular MDX was mistakenly made with a V-8 Eng, Nope, only V-6. The fix was simple, thanks to the /\ threads . I checked the air pressure of all 4 tires. Lo n behold they were ALL 30 PSI. The tires call for 44 PSI. So I added one more for fun. 45 PSI and I don't have to sacrifice my morning coffee anymore.

Bzzzzt!

What tires calls for 44PSI? That is the maximum tire pressure on the Stock Michelin Touring HPs!!!!!
Your PSI should be between 32-37PSI... 44-45 is asking for a tire blow out.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruca View Post
Sorry for the long email. I don't really get to contribute much on this forum
Good that it is long. I find your post very helpful. I am a new user.

I see I have post 91 above in September 2008, two MDXs ago!

My post above related to my 2005 Touring & Ent. On my last two MDXs I have tracked mpg on the Fuelly app. My 2011 Advance got a combined 17.7 mpg, while my 2017 Advance gets a combined 22 mpg (best tank has been 27) over 18,000 miles.

2017 MDX Advance, White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
2015 Mercedes S550
2019 Lexus ES300h
2000 Chevy Silverado 2500
Previous MDXs: 2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement