Battery draining quickly - '09 MDX - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019 Thread Starter

Battery draining quickly - '09 MDX

My wife's 2009 Acura MDX has always had some battery issues, but its typically been a case where it hasn't been driven in a few days and temperatures are low. Typically, a jump has gotten it going again, and there weren't issues again for a while. Recently, we had a fit where the battery was dying frequently, even after we recently purchased a new one (it was about 2 years old, inside the 3 year warranty). After 2 recharging trips to AutoZone and their assurance there was nothing wrong with the battery or the alternator, they finally replaced our battery. Fast forward about a month, we went out of town for the weekend, came back, and the battery is completely dead.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? The terminals all look to be in good shape, and the alternator tests always come back good. There seems to be something draining the battery while the car is not in use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019

troll
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019

I'm having the same problem with my 2009 MDX, my husband has to jump my vehicle every morning now, it's so frustrating. We have replaced the alternator, battery, and took out an aftermarket lo-jack they thought might be causing the problem. They tell us there must be a short somewhere they can't find. Would love to hear if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019

The Hands Free Link Bluetooth module has been known to go bad over time and be a silent battery drain in both 1st and 2nd generation MDXs. Try doing a search around those terms. The module in the 2nd generation is *I believe* within the back of the front console between both seats.

2018 Modern Steel Tech AWD
Delivered 2/10/18

(Previous)
2006 Steel Blue Touring/Navigation
Delivered 7/08/06

(Previous)
2003 Sage Brush Touring/Navigation
Built 12/20/02 Delivered 1/13/03
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheryW. View Post
I'm having the same problem with my 2009 MDX, my husband has to jump my vehicle every morning now, it's so frustrating. We have replaced the alternator, battery, and took out an aftermarket lo-jack they thought might be causing the problem. They tell us there must be a short somewhere they can't find. Would love to hear if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution.
Many shops really don't know electrical systems very well. Look for an "Automotive Electrical" specialty shop in your area. Fairly easy testing procedure for a knowledgeable technician.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019

Garage
As mentioned above, it is probably the hands-free Bluetooth module. The same thing was happening to my 2007, 2nd gen MDX. There are tons of youtube videos on how to remove it and test your car without it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019

Iíve been battling the same problem for the last six months on my 2009 MDX. I removed the blue tooth module, then I removed the AC relay with no change (It was US made, but went ahead and replaced it with the latest OEM Vietnamese made unit). At the same time that I was dealing with the battery drain issue, I also had intermittent failures where there was a complete loss of power as soon as I cranked, not just a fail to start with a weak battery. This made the troubleshooting more difficult, but I eventually determined that the positive post on the battery (just replaced it 3 months ago) was a bit small and sometimes Ė my theory is the post contracted ever so slightly when cold Ė there was very weak conduction. I installed a lead post cap designed for this problem and that solved that issue, but Iím still dealing with the battery drain. What is perplexing me is that normally as long as I drove the car every day the battery would stay charged enough. Recently Iíve had an experience where Iíve driven my usual route, shut off the car for 10 minutes, and then was unable to get enough juice to crank the car over. This has happened a few times now. I had the battery and alternator rechecked and theyíre fine. Is it possible one of the battery cables is corroded? Visually they look fine, although I can only see the outer insulation. Seems like Iím dealing with two separate problems again. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019

Battery Drain update

Today I did a parasitic draw amperage check and after settling in it runs at a steady .026 amps, so that's the normal expected draw right? I woke up the car several times and watched current flow jump to over an amp but within a minute the current had dropped back to 26ma. Had the battery on the charger for a couple of days so its fully charged. Any troubleshooting tips are welcome as I'm at a dead end now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement