Need help with tires - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018 Thread Starter

Need help with tires

So my MDX came with Michelin tires and rode fine, then the place i bought it from said the tires needed to be replaced due to the fact that they where 3/32s off from each other and being an all wheel drive rhat was not ok. So they put new tires on and now it feels like the car is swaying side to side. Now only does it on grooved highway and not all they time. I drive for my job so I've been down these freeways alot and like i said the other tires didnt do this. Anyone have any advice as what to do or look for. I'm pulling my hair out and im bald.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018

Garage
What tires did they put on? If they’re cheap/crappy they can cause lots of problems.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter

Fuzion Touring
255/55R18. 109v Extra Load.

This is what is on the side wall.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018

Garage
AFAIK those are crap tires. Considering bad tires can cause bad handling, and your problems didn't start until you had the tires put on, I'd say they are likely to blame.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018

Take them back to where you bought them and explain that these are worse than what they took off and replace them with something better!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter

See i agree but i bought it at car max and they been giving me the run around.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018

More frequent tire rotations will prevent this from recurring, but IMO simply rotating the original tires would have solved the problem. I suspect a profit motive is at work. Did the crooks tell you they wouldn't honor a warranty if you didn't replace the tires, by any chance? Just a guess.

The AWD system in this vehicle is nothing like "old school" mechanical AWD systems. I consider it extremely unlikely that damage to the system would result from slightly mismatched tires. A difference of a few psi in tire pressure would produce a similar change in effective rolling circumference. Does the AWD explode if a tire is a bit low?

( Pet peeve alert... )
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018

Garage
Depending on which generation SH-AWD system you have, I may not be so cavalier. Some are quite sensitive to different tire circumferences. The current gen, with hydraulic clutches, maybe not so much, but previous generations with electronic clutches certainly were.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by p07r0457 View Post
Depending on which generation SH-AWD system you have, I may not be so cavalier. Some are quite sensitive to different tire circumferences. The current gen, with hydraulic clutches, maybe not so much, but previous generations with electronic clutches certainly were.
All generations of SH-AWD, and the VTM-4 system that preceded it, have independent electronically controlled clutches at the rear "differential" and a fully open differential ( integrated with the transmission ) in front. The actuation of the clutches varies between different flavors, but they are all computer controlled.

Was there a rash of failures of which I am unaware? I think we have accumulated about 600,000 miles of VTM-4 and SH-AWD duty spread over 6 current and retired family vehicles, and the only time there has ever been a problem with the AWD is when a CEL code gets set because of an engine issue ( usually a failing oxygen sensor ) and the whole vehicle goes into a "cripple mode" and shuts off the AWD ( WHY???? ). Aside from this annoying hiccup, the systems are remarkably robust. And it's not like we baby the things. But we did bypass the 1st-generation SH-AWD in the 2nd-gen MDX, so maybe we missed out on something.

But this type of AWD is completely unlike fully mechanical AWD systems. Take viscous couplings, for instance. VCs have have a finite lifespan that may be squandered by driving around with mismatched tires. It is a little-known fact that many "symmetrical 4-wheel drive" vehicles are probably functionally FWD because their VCs are worn out. The vehicles may go on forever, but the VCs definitely don't.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

So what does all this have to do with the question i asked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintsmdx View Post
So what does all this have to do with the question i asked?
"So my MDX came with Michelin tires and rode fine, then the place i bought it from said the tires needed to be replaced due to the fact that they where 3/32s off from each other and being an all wheel drive rhat was not ok."

This is where it all went wrong. My comments are intended to dissuade other MDXers from falling for this trap.

"So they put new tires on and now it feels like the car is swaying side to side. Now only does it on grooved highway and not all they time. I drive for my job so I've been down these freeways alot and like i said the other tires didnt do this. Anyone have any advice as what to do or look for. I'm pulling my hair out and im bald."

As for the crappy tires that replaced the good tires, and which are likely the cause of your current problem, it's not likely your old tires are still lurking at the used car dealer ( because one of the guys who works there probably scooped them up in about 15 seconds and they are doing very nicely on his AWD vehicle ), but if you complain loudly enough they may sell you some new good tires and give you credit for what you already paid for the crappy new tires. But if you don't do it soon, that option will probably evaporate.

Option B is to go to a reputable tire shop, such as Discount Tire, and they may give you a trade-in allowance for the ( ahem ) off-brand tires toward the purchase of some good new tires.

But please do NOT waste time and money messing with the suspension of the vehicle until AFTER you get some decent tires on the poor thing.
rcy

Happening on grooved highway and not all the time, you say? Seems like a tire issue - the tire (which is a different design than the Michelins) are maybe prone to following the grooves or 'tramlining' as it's known. Also, have you checked the tire pressures and adjusted to what's recommended for the vehicle?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=47

Are the new tires the same size and speed rating as the original tires?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you i understand now.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018 Thread Starter

Yes tires are the same but with differant load range and speed rating. Its 109 load and a v speed rating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: