2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance towing - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By p07r0457
  • 1 Post By smufguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018 Thread Starter

2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance towing

Hello! This is my first mdx and my first time driving across country (CT to WA). I want to tow a 2015 Nissan Altima (gross weight 4,211). I will be having the atf cooler installed, however, Iím having trouble deciding the trailer that I should use. Dolly or full vechicle tow? I am considering using UHaul not Acura for the tow equipment. Any other towing tips and suggestions are most definitely warranted! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

Garage
Check how much the full trailer weighs, then factor in the Altima's weight. You may be able to have it be under the 5000 lb limit. Personally, I prefer the full trailer over a dolly. The dolly might weigh less, but I don't like the idea of having a car's rear tires be wearing down faster since the front tires are on the trailer. The U-Haul people are fairly knowledgeable about towing, so it doesn't hurt talking to them about best practices. Good luck!

'99 Ficus Green Pearl Honda Prelude Type SH
'08 Formal Black Acura MDX SH-AWD (replacing soon!)
'13 Remington Red Kia Optima SX Turbo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

Garage
There is no way to safely tow a 4,211 lbs vehicle with an MDX.

However, my research indicates a 2015 Altima only weighs ~3,233 lbs.

I never recommend a tow dolly... But if you wanted to use one, the U-Haul tow dolly has a max load of 3,450 lbs. You'd be right near the maximum load for that. The dolly itself weighs 750 lbs, so you'd be right around 4,000 lbs total weight. The MDX can tow this, if you have the auxiliary transmission cooler and an appropriate hitch. However, keep in mind that this is the bare-minimum equipment to tow a vehicle, and it's really not something I'd recommend. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Tow-Dolly-Rental/TD/

The auto-transport trailer from U-Haul is a much safer/better way to tow a vehicle. However it weighs 2,210 lbs, so you cannot use this to tow an Altima with your MDX. You'd exceed the rating of the MDX and it is unsafe. https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-...ort-Rental/AT/

If you HAVE to use the MDX to tow the Altima, use the dolly and GO SLOW. Hopefully you don't have to go a long distance. If you are going a long distance or have the people/money to manage it, I'd either drive both vehicles, independently, or pay to ship one.
jsarino likes this.

2019 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD Inscription - Onyx Black Metallic
2018 Infiniti QX30 Premium AWD - Majestic White
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

2014 MDX SH-AWD Advance towing

We have a 2011 MDX that has the towing package standard and we really like it as a tow vehicle. We tow an unbraked utility trailer with 30 bales of hay locally but recently bought an Airstream travel trailer, had reinforcements to our receiving hitch, and have been impressed with the SH-AWD system. You can check out my thread on the Airstream forum under towing.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018

As the other member mentioned, your MDX can tow a max of 5000lbs.

The Auto Transport (2210lbs) and Altima (3447) yields a 5657lbs, which exceeds designed tow specs and is not advised. You break anything on the vehicle, your warrenty wont cover it and that transmission cooler is not going to help much either.

The dolly (750lbs) and Altima (3447llbs) yields a 4197lbs, which is much better for towing. However, the challenge is to equip the trailered vehicle with lights that hook up to the MDX and are DOT legal.

My Advise, rent a F150, rent an Auto Transport, load the altima and have a piece of mind. Make sure that the F150 has trailer harness, a lot of the rental places specifically do not have trailer harness.
jsarino likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: