Any hints for loading kayak? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ItsMyMDX
Any hints for loading kayak?

So, I've always wanted to get into kayaking, and finally got most everything I need. Got some Thule racks and cradles, the 'yaks', and necessities. The first kayak I got is a 9-footer single person for my wife. That one I can get up and down off the roof myself. The problem is the tandem boat I got for my daughter and me. It's just a bit bigger and heavier than I anticipated ... at least for lifting :-) My daughter's 3, so asking her to help lift a 75lbs kayak isn't really an option (if we're going out alone).

Here's the rub (no pun intended): If I slide the kayak back and try to set one end on the ground, it hits the spoiler ('09 MDX). The problem is that the spoiler seems to just be an accessory, and won't support the kayak as I'm getting it off/on the car.

A few things I'm looking at are the Thule Outrigger II, Thule Glide and Set Roller, and the Sherpak Boat Roller.

I am leaning towards the Sherpak option, as it's the cheapest. My only question - is it tall enough to clear the spoiler?

The same question for the Thule roller option - does it give enough clearance to clear the spoiler?

The Thule Outrigger is my least favorite option, as it doesn't look the most stable. But if the other two don't give me the needed clearance, it may be my only option.

If anyone has any experience with any of the above options, or any other suggestions, I would be most appreciative! thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017

What did you end up doing?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to ItsMyMDX
I ended up making my own version of the Sherpak. For like $15 (I think) I bought a suction cup handle off of Amazon. Then used some PVC pipe from Lowe's to make a wide U-shaped cradle. When I load/unload the big kayak I stick this to the back window. It gives me something to rest/glide the kayak on so that it clears the spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement